Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Looking for tips on how to get into tournament style paintball

Tempo

Aug 17, 2019
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some tips on how to get into tournament style paintball/speedball.

I am based in the Yorkshire area and i am new to paintball.

Looking to see if it's financially viable before investing in my own kit (depending on the closest location to a speedball/tournament site)

Any tips are appreciated.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
The cost of tournament play depends on how seriously you want to take it.

If you want to take it very seriously, it will cost you about 3/4 grand a year and take up pretty much every weekend playing or training.

If you want to be more casual, second hand kit (which is still pretty good) should set you back around £500-£600 for everything, and then your spend on paint & entry fees is dictated by whatever level you want to play at.

Closest - and the best - tournament site for you is CPPS in Stafford, then Skirmish in Nottingham.

If you want to play walkons first, closest sites are YPC in Selby and Steve Bull's sites at Wakefield & Brighouse.

If you want me to put you in touch with teams, let me know.

Last edited:

Tempo

Aug 17, 2019
Amazing, thank you for that Tony.

It will be me and one of my buddies that are interested in starting it up. I've got my eye on the Rize Maxxed but i am going to look into the essentials more first.

Thank you again.

Reactions: Tony Harrison

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
Hello Fella, whatever you might think you may like or interested in, Look It up on U-Tube first, and watch the reviews, don`t just buy Blind ?? >> Bluey

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
Amazing, thank you for that Tony.

It will be me and one of my buddies that are interested in starting it up. I've got my eye on the Rize Maxxed but i am going to look into the essentials more first.

Thank you again.
I'd avoid the Rize Maxxed - you'll end up selling it to get something better. Have a look through the "For Sale" section on here or on https://paintballunite.com/

There's a chap selling an Ego 11 for £200, and that's a decent marker.

If your heart is set on a DYE marker, you can pick up a DM14 or DM15 for around the £250 mark - much better than the Rize.

As for goggles, BZ Paintball are doing some very good prices on Vforce - only a tenner or so more than what you would pay second hand. Better to buy brand new goggles than a pair some fat guy has sweated in.

Pants, jerseys, tanks and packs you can get easily enough on here.

For footwear, I'd recommend astroturf boots.

And @Care_Bears is right about videos - here's are a couple of channels for you to look at:-

Tempo

Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for the tips guys!

I was going to do a lot of research into equipment before buying, thank you for the advise.

I'll have a look through the selling forums.

Tempo

Aug 17, 2019
Also, forgot to mention, would you recommend buying a marker second hand?

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
Also, forgot to mention, would you recommend buying a marker second hand?
Yes. Most have been looked after pretty well. Use paypal (always pay the fees) put the purchase on a 0% credit card and you'll have paid it off in a couple of months.

Best buy on here at the moment is the CS1 from @KeenDean, while on paintball unite it's the black Ego 11.

Reactions: KeenDean