The Home Of European Paintball

Madrid

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
OK, I have made a few phone calls and this is the deal :-

Phoenix and Rhine Affair were told they were going to ref, they then consequently booked the flights and time off work etc.
They were then told, 'No we don't need you' in what was described as 'Pedro wanting to cut costs' .
Laurent allegedly went ape sh!t when he found out and Phoenix and Rhine Affair were then told, 'OK, we now want you to ref'.
A spokesman from the team then said, ' we cannot in any way provide our full number of players now but we will only ref now if we get maximum points for doing so' and this was conceded with Ulrich adding, 'Yes we will do this but you must not tell any of the other teams'. :rolleyes:

And as if to add insult to injury, guess what culinary delicacy Pedro provided the judges for breakfast? And remember, these are the same judges who judged for 12 hours a day in the sweltering heat of Madrid...they got one muffin for breakfast :rolleyes:
Wooo Hooo !

Can it get any worse?

Oh, hang around for a few more minutes and I'm sure something else will come up.....Mark, you sure you wanna 'just look to future' still ?
:)

I cannot comment on the rest of the event but i would like to make one point very clear.

The Marshalls.

Dye Field - These guys were exceptional, they were easily the best refs that i have ever played under in my entire 12yrs of playing events. This doesn't even take into account the heat and the conditions. There were some disagreements as to be expected, but overall these guys worked their tits off.

Tomohawk Field - The head ref was a true effecient german. He took no **** and wouldnt accept any criticism (which on a number of occassions were well deserved). The rest of the refs worked real hard from start to finish and deserve all the points and praise they can get.

I cant comment in detail on the cpl field since i didnt play it. But the games that i saw including the Kellys vs Bullets game had some interesting calls that i will let the relevant teams discuss if they want.

If what Beaker and Robbo have said is true about the marshalls being cancelled and then rebooked, they deserve even more praise than they already have. 32.c Dry Heat for well over 100 games a day. Those guys are heros and the event would have folded if it wasnt for their exceptional work.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
I find it interesting that the tournament that ran the smoothest of all the 7-mans in 2004 was Madrid. The referees were very well taken care of there; big ice-chests for our drinks and plenty of support staff. There was a swimming pool next to the fields, the venue was good and everything ran like clockwork. The hotel we were put in had the biggest and best breakfast buffet I've ever seen. Even last year's Madrid was pretty good, wasn't it?

The point: Pedro and company ARE capable of putting on good events and have proven it.

PS: There have been other Millennium events where the refs had to threaten to strike to get water and where the breakfast was dismal or ridiculously late. The refs who worked with me the last couple of years know what I'm talking about.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Wadidiz said:
I find it interesting that the tournament that ran the smoothest of all the 7-mans in 2004 was Madrid. The referees were very well taken care of there; big ice-chests for our drinks and plenty of support staff. There was a swimming pool next to the fields, the venue was good and everything ran like clockwork. The hotel we were put in had the biggest and best breakfast buffet I've ever seen. Even last year's Madrid was pretty good, wasn't it?

The point: Pedro and company ARE capable of putting on good events and have proven it.

PS: There have been other Millennium events where the refs had to threaten to strike to get water and where the breakfast was dismal or ridiculously late. The refs who worked with me the last couple of years know what I'm talking about.

Steve, I misread your post, apologies, I edited my post accordingly.
I actually thought you were referring to this year's monstrosity and went for your jugular and thankfully Duff saw my mistake and alerted me.
However, the fact Pedro (or anybody else for that matter) has been successful in one event some time some where doesn't underwrite all future events.
It just highlights the fact that he is a man who has the ability to run a good event but elects not to, and normally this dereliction of responsibility has its roots in saving money.
This in itself is not a bad policy for any businessman to adopt but it mustn't compromise basic requirements and he has done this many times at many events.
He is Europe's version of Jerry Braun, and as I have said many times before, his foresight corresponds directly to the length of his pocket.

If we disregard all the bull for a minute and take a hard look at the man himself, we are forced to concede that any man who stands in front of his customer base, both player and vendor, and tells them that 'if you don't like it, you can leave because there are plenty of others waiting to take your place' just doesn't deserve to be a Millennium promoter...end of !