Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Marker Buying Guide for Newbies

Dodga

Jul 17, 2013
Cheshunt/Wormley
Would always suggest buying a pre owned marker as you don't want to be spending loads of money on a marker if you don't know what your doing ... Buying a second hand marker will allow you to gain some knowledge on markers and paintball as a whole ! Good luck

Bobrob

eat, sleep, play paintball, repeat
Aug 28, 2013
Rotherham
ah well i'm new to the sport saw an ooold phantom with a bit of kit and impulse bought lol need to get a new mask as the 1 that came with was no good but there cheep enough and want to get a few new parts for it to bring it up to speck but still a cheep buy was just thinking its more paint economic and easy to maintain. is probably a case of jumping in feet first on my part so feel free to point and laugh lol

niloc65

Aka Colin
Oct 4, 2013
Worthing - West Sussex
The thing about an old pump, be it phantom, cocker, etc is the requirement to have good technique and coordination. Many of us learnt/honed our skills on this type of marker because we had to; nothing else was available at the time. If you are patient and put the ground work into understanding the marker then in the longer term it will probably make you a better paintball technician. Your immediate problem is you'll be coming up against players who at the flick of a trigger can lay down way more paint than your phantom ever will, and that can be disconcerting.
I think your brave to start with a pump, but good luck and stick with it if you can, for as long as you can.

My personal route has been Splat, Sheridan Pump, Razorback Pump, WGP Cocker, Mini Mag, Mini Cocker, Bob Long timmy Classic, Bob long 2k2 and Species, then a 5 year break from the sport, now I'm back, its with a proto reflex rail (soon to be DM12), and a WGP Pro Trilogy Pump and Cocker and thoroughly enjoyed the journey so far.
So don't think owning a pump is a reason others would think they can point and laugh. Have fun with it and move on when you are ready.

Best of luck.
Regards,
Colin.
Split Personalities