Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Market downturn

Doddy

Mar 28, 2011
Hull
I wanted people's opinion on the current downturn on the buying/selling market, what do you think the cause is? Is it the fact that people are now spoilt for choice? Are people's expectations becoming too low/high?

Its something that has made me think seen as a marker I bought 6 weeks ago is struggling to sell at a considerable lower price than I paid for.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
More items for sale and lack of demand makes it a buyers market. Lack of confidence in economy so people want to hold onto their cash, which has badly effected the new and secondhand retail prices.

You may have missed the news.. but there's a bit of a recession/euro crisis going on

Doddy

Mar 28, 2011
Hull
That's old news. We haven't been in recession now for months, people still use that as a poor excuse to whittle others out of money or good deals.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Wait until the Euro disappears down the crapper... then tell me the UK economy isn't in recession

Last edited:

Doddy

Mar 28, 2011
Hull
It definitely makes for good comedy value but it doesn't strengthen your argument much ;)

The uk is in the best position amongst the other European countries....

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Technically we weren't in recession but most people were still suffering the effects of it. We are now officially back in recession.

Fact is you probably paid too much for your marker in the first place, if you bought one second hand or new at the right price you wouldn't be losing as much.

Reactions: bojjob

baudsenseless

PMGWC #3
May 27, 2010
tbh the 2nd hand marker market, is exactly the same as it has been since I started playing!
Some good deals to be had, some overpriced and yet still sell, the price is whatever some one is willing to pay at the end of the day, its quite personal.
I tend to have markers that if/when I do sell I tend to lose very little, sell for the same after a years use, or make a profit!
Unless you buy a marker thats less than 3 yrs old, at a very very good price you are going to lose money.
same as it always has been!!

dodge-gnome

Save a rock, throw an Ion
Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire
Also keep in mind as new versions of markers are released each year, its previous model is going to go down in value. If i could have gotten an ego10 for £450 1 1/2 years ago i would have snapped it up straight away, but now i can't justify it quite as much due to graduating and stepping into the real world which doesn't give out student loans :p

Doddy

Mar 28, 2011
Hull
Guys please don't view this as a whining/complaining thread, more observational. Yes I have a marker for sale, no I didn't over pay for it.

The recent sales is what drove me to this which include:
Ego 10 - £250 sold
MacDev Clone - £200 for sale
Dye NT11 - £340 sold
TM15 - £170 sold
Dye NT10 - £230 sold

These are just a few examples but you see it often enough, "so and so sold the same gun for half your price, so that's my offer". While some sellers hold out, it pressures others to reduce their price.
This comment from Gee Tee is probably the most accurate one:
More items for sale and lack of demand makes it a buyers market. Lack of confidence in economy so people want to hold onto their cash, which has badly effected the new and secondhand retail prices.

renie

Mar 2, 2008
The problem is some people sell there stuff far to cheap and it has a knock on effect ie. if some sells an ego 10 for £200 , and you try and sell yours for say £400 you will always get the comments " one sold here for £200 quid so threre only worth £200 quid now"