Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Market downturn

beanbag83

I'm either drunk or high
Feb 12, 2006
King's Lynn, Norfolk, England
In fairness this seems nothing new to me. I'm just coming back into playing after about 3 years out, but started playing around 2005 and the second hand paintball market has always had massive depreciation. As has been stated once a marker is seen to go for a certain price, people expect them all to. This has a knock on effect on equivalent markers of other makes, and of newer markers of the same type. Basically anything regardless of what it is, is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
GT £1 for 10 shots, £1 for the gas to fire 20 of them? Yep certainly cheaper nowadays.
Not quite.. I think I used to pay about 75p for a 12g + 8p a ball on my first rental games. Most sites I played shot Sheriden PGP's, Nelsons or Splatmasters. After I got my own gear and started paying walk on and novice pump tournaments, 12g in bulk cost 35p each and paint was about £60-70 a box

Happy days :)

In fairness this seems nothing new to me. I'm just coming back into playing after about 3 years out, but started playing around 2005 and the second hand paintball market has always had massive depreciation. As has been stated once a marker is seen to go for a certain price, people expect them all to. This has a knock on effect on equivalent markers of other makes, and of newer markers of the same type. Basically anything regardless of what it is, is only worth what someone will pay for it.
There is a select market for collectable guns which still hold top prices

Limited edition Eclipse cockers and AGD Emags still change hands stateside for over $1000

Last edited:

baudsenseless

PMGWC #3
May 27, 2010
05/06 egos have been the same price for the last 3 odd years, quite a lot of people have discovered that any higher end marker from 04 onwards will hold there own at a walkon/tornie etc, e.g e-cocker, timmy, egos, etc etc
Pre then the markers were fast, but a bit heavier!!
as geetee said there are still markers which are worth money, i've not lost money on a paintaball marker for the last 4/5 years!!
My 1 of 1 sl94 would have depreciated from the moment I got her...... but then again I don't intend to sell!!

EELZ

never a trading complaint
Oct 29, 2003
wrexham
I'll have to admit that I've made quite a bit of £dosh buying cheap and selling on, I surf the net overseas to see what the trends are and buy cheap over here and sell for profit overseas. No shame in it. I practically doubled my money on Buadsenseless' xmag and once bought a sl8r within 2 weeks of trading and with only starting off with £80 :)

Gaz #68

Warped #68
May 14, 2010
Wolverhampton
Like any other market it is open to haggling. The seller haggles up and the buyer haggles down. Personally I enjoy this part of the negotiation and if an offer is rejected I am never offended. I can either up my offer or look elsewhere. The seller also has the same option, lower the price to sell or wait for another buyer to come along.

There is no Parker's used guide for markers so stating what is a fair price for a marker is very subjective. Even if such a guide existed any buyer would try to get a bargain as even a few pounds saved feels like you got a good deal There is no MOT, service log etc to distinguish one marker from another so it could be argued the buyer is taking more of a gamble so should offer less just in case. This is, however, mitigated by reading feedback and previous threads which clearly indicate the good sellers and as such they may well get more money for the markers they sell.

When you buy second hand you may well be looking to save money but sometimes your purchase is a compromise. You cannot pick the colour you want as you have to choose from what is available. Personally I would up my offer if a marker matched the exact colour scheme I was after but if not I would wait for another one that wasn't my first choice. Odds are more will come in the colour I don't want than the one I do want so if I settle I am going to pay less.

Colours, lasering, team guns etc are all very personal and sometimes can mean you wont get as much as you paid just because others like that model of marker but are not really interested in the colour scheme (although I have seen some custom colours that I would indeed have paid more for).

I cannot comment from a sellers perspective as I have only purchased from these forums but on every occasion I have paid less than the seller originally was after. I do, however, feel that my offers were reasonable and after negotiations with various sellers I have secured a number of markers so I assume they were also happy with the deal. I feel like I have a got a bit of a bargain and the seller has received what they think is reasonable so hopefully all parties are happy.

NOTE: This is not written in direct response to what anyone else may have posted here or on any other threads in this forum. It is just my personal opinion on what I think is an interesting subject. Hopefully this ensures I haven't offended anyone :)

I read the forums almost daily and watch the prices of markers before I make an offer. If I have noticed that a particular marker has sold low then it indicates to me that there is a chance that someone may sell at that some price again. This is not guaranteed as someone may have wanted a quick sale but it does mean there is a chance and I do not see it as unreasonable to pursue that chance. If I was going to buy a car and my neighbour told me the garage down the road was doing the model I wanted for less with the same spec and age but my local garage had the colour I wanted I would definitely use the other price to drive down what I was paying (and obviously not let on it was the colour I wanted). I love to haggle and have been with many friends to help them get the price down on a car but never have I been referred to a lowballer. For some reason they all think this is a good thing! Come to think of it, it is only on these forums that I have encountered the term and here it is held in very low regard.

My question is, does this make me a serial lowballer? On every offer I have made I have been below the asking price. With no guide as to how low to go have I missed out on this tag by sheer fluke?

Personally I think not but others may disagree (as is their right). On every offer made I have been below the stated asking price but not once have I been flamed, heckled, badgered or otherwise abused for it. This leads me to the conclusion that the real offence is caused by coming in too low with your initial offer. This may be due to ignorance, bare faced cheek. lack of funds, chancing your arm or many other reasons.

I would like to finish with my final observation. Ultimately it is the seller that determines the final price of the marker not the buyer. The buyer chooses what to offer but the seller chooses what to accept. The ultimate value of a marker on these forums is determined by the seller but it is the buyers who are getting all the bad press for the offers they are making.

Maybe I am lucky as I am not a seller but if I were then a "lowball" is simply a free "bump" for my for sale thread until I get an actual offer worth considering :)

Last edited:
Reactions: baudsenseless

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
The market is pretty much the same as it was 2 years ago not a lot has changed proberly less guns for sale
as for the things like the ego 10's going for 250-300 well over the summer expect more of the same people are willing to wait for bargins and people will get desperate if they are looking to upgrade
the dye nt10's droped like rocks when 4-5 of them hit the forums over a 3 week period but pristine markers held around the 300 mark

The one thing that is pissing me of at the minute is the amount of people touting "1 of 1 guns" its not 1 of 1 unless its a factory anno in my book

baudsenseless

PMGWC #3
May 27, 2010
No shame in it. I practically doubled my money on Buadsenseless' xmag and once bought a sl8r within 2 weeks of trading and with only starting off with £80 :)
there should be a dislike button!!:p
cant even spell baudsenseless!!:( bad dave!!
Tbh I'm happy if some one buys off me and doubles their money. I got her for a nice amount, made money, eelz made money, new buyer got a marker they really wanted at a price they were willing to pay, every one is happy!!

Lowballers..... I don't mind if someone offers a seriously low price, as long as when I tell them to stuff it, they don't get all offended/huffy!

if you offer a low price you have to be willing to lose out on the item, if someone then comes in with the asking price its going to be sold to them,
Take the impulse I just bought, Game offered £60 , I wanted it, so got it at asking, did I mess up his offer, quite possibly, was it personal, nope, would it have been a deal at £60, yep, but in my mind it was a deal at £100. If he offered £100 i'm sure it would be his and not mine!

1 of 1 markers..... now don't get me started, my sl94 is a 1 of 1, it was made by eclipse as a 1 of 1 ,
a different colour ccu kit does not make it a 1 of 1, swapped parts do not make it a 1 of 1.
Saying that, some markers that are not 1 of 1 from factory, still are special, e.g. the ww1 fighter dm9 that is for sale atm, beautiful anno, will jamie (slothball) ever make another, no. It is special, lumps ex odd echer ego 7, again beatutful. Either of these I'd be happier calling a 1 of 1 than a marker that has cheep lasering , which is close to scratching your name on it with a knife, I think for me its the required skill that has gone into a so called 1 of 1, unbolting bits and botting bits on is not a skill, full unusual anno and tastefull lasering takes skill

edit : the ww1 fighter has faded a lot tho by the looks of it.... when it was fresh.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Game