Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Masks 2

Harbinger

DO NOT DO AS I SAY / POST / JOKE ABOUT
Jan 14, 2014
The Royal County
A questions I've always wondered.

The manufacturer guides ( Dye / Proto ) and Yanks online say you should change the lenses if they ever get hit at close range and after a few direct / straight shots.

Is this true? does anyone ever actually do this or just replace once knackered and scratched to bits?

NinjaSquirrel

Apr 19, 2013
Kincraig,Scottish Highlands.
Id imagine its probably to keep themselves in the clear incase anything does happen.Personally,I havent changed my lens after a few direct hits.If I bought goggles 2nd hand,then Id definetly replace the lens.

philipcroydon

Jan 19, 2013
I have only replace them when they are really warn to be honest but I guess they say to change them for legal purposes. Even if you buy a motorcycle helmet in the book it states that you should buy a new one even if you only drop it. I guess they are just being safe or its an easy way to get people to buy goggle lenses more often lol.

Peter Cross

Mar 17, 2015
Better to be safe than sorry , only £35 for new lens seems like a pretty fair deal. £35 and you can keep your eyes

snips

Feb 25, 2015
Unless you've been shot with a marble or well above 300fps a lens should suffer no damage from paint even at short range surely?
Isn't the point of a lens is to protect the user from any possible paintball scenario therefore should suffer no damage even from a point blank shot?
Discussion point?

Personally I wouldn't look to change a lens unless there was visible damage or I felt the structural integrity of the lens was compromised.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Has anyone ever experienced some kind of lense failure?
We tested out water balloons with a sling launcher for a scenario event
(The idea being to provide them as artillery)
The first test shot in the garden, with old goggles & old lens, broke the lens

Clearly the old goggles and a fragile lens were to blame, but if it can break an old lens it can as a minimum dislodge goggles.

We obviously didn't use them in the event

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Unless you've been shot with a marble or well above 300fps a lens should suffer no damage from paint even at short range surely?
Isn't the point of a lens is to protect the user from any possible paintball scenario therefore should suffer no damage even from a point blank shot?
Discussion point?

Personally I wouldn't look to change a lens unless there was visible damage or I felt the structural integrity of the lens was compromised.
Contrary to general opinion the standards test for paintball goggles and lenses involves shooting with paintballs, not shooting with shotguns etc. There are videos etc using shotguns etc showing that lenses have survived, e.g. the Vio video:

Noting that this standard is out of date (it will cost you money to get a copy of current standards) the following gives the ASTMF1776 standard, and demonstrates testing which is conducted with paintballs fired repestedly at up to 420fps (Highest velocity 400fps with a tolerance of +/- 20fps)
http://www.a5og.net/how-to/F1776.pdf

The tests not only involve the lens surviving but also no distortion and the whole set of goggles retaining their integrity / not falling off etc.

Manufacturers give the recommendations which include replacement over time and if there is a direct impact.
Both are a degree of covering them if something fails, you are fine if you have been shot in the lens. But if theres anything showing you should do as directed and replace, but the choice is yours.

Mar 16, 2015
Lowestoft
I got hit directly on my brand new lens from close range, (Dye) and after I got home and started cleaning they seemed fine, I personally think that if you can see that they seem a bit weak or whatever then I would recommend replacing them!