Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Microsoft Vista Premium !

Its graphics mate.

Vista totally menaces your graphics card, and laptops in general dont have the best graphics cards. Basically, your PC has to be built for vista, perhaps your laptop is running on an XP spec, in which case, it may be better for you to slap XP on there. It will speed up alot.

Or

Take it into PC world and speak to the experts, im talking from a-level computing and ICT, and an interest in PCs.

I hope I have helped :)

Will L

CUCKING FUNT
Apr 21, 2007
512mb of ram is the bare minimum for vista and 1gig is not too good to run vista on a laptop, may be ok on a desktop but on a laptop its not as god. But yeah vista is ver slow unless you have 1-2gig plus of ram and a decent CPU.

By the way what graphics card do you have? Vista can get very hungry for GPU power

Bud

" ..- - .-- .- - " ;)
Jul 7, 2001
Russ, vista gives a system rating, go to Control Panel\Performance Information and Tools and you will see a base score, this will tell you what is letting you down ie graphic card, memory, etc etc.

Also if you turn off the aero graphics and set the graphics to vista basic this will increase your system speed as a lot of effort is needed to run the nice bling bling vista graphics.

true_death

Free Agent..
Jul 16, 2006
M.I.A
Don't waste your money on Vista for three reasons :

1.) A lot of software is bugged/incompatible with Vista.
2.) Vista is the most power hungry rubbish ever and will suck all your system resources to do things like turn your start menu into a 3d box :rolleyes:
3.) Microsoft are rumoured to be bringing out a new OS within 18 months so Vista is much like Windows ME. A bridge in-between the really ground breaking operating systems.

If you already have had Vista forced down you. More RAM will do some good, but most of the problem will be with the CPU not being able to cope. Ideally you would want a duel core system, these pathetic laptop CPUs can't cope with Vista.

J

arg1271

All the gear, no idea
Apr 6, 2006
Mooching round the 50, with the flag
it's probably all be said already but te one of viista biggest issue is it's demand on the graphics card. 1gb of ram should be fine but the fact you're running it on a laptop which typically have shared graphics memory is most likely to be the issue. I've heard you need a 256 mb dedicated graphics card to keep things happy.

Plus I've heard it's buggy as hell, I'm avoiding it for a least the next 6 months until we get some service packs.

OddJob

Photographer
Oct 28, 2004
North Essex
Vista's biggest problem, is all the companies like Dell etc, bunging it on ****e systems that really cant cope with the power it requires and also, people getting it and running it on ****e sytems.

If you can get a Dual Core processor and some more RAM that should help, as people have said.
After a serious raft of customers asking for XP, Dell are starting to offer XP across most of their range.

As for running Vista on a laptop....hmm no thanks. I'd not think about running it on my 2ghz desktop, let alone something with those specs. They put it on as people think 'wow, it's new, must be great. I'm getting such a good deal!'.

For my laptop I got a 12" Apple powerbook, tiny things and ever so powerful, but then I had to learn how to use it.