Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Mike @ techpb Ramping = Paintballs downfall ? Agree or Disagree?

k4p84

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2009
www.paintballskirmish.co.uk
Hey hey,

Was ramping not first brought in by SP to ' space out your shots better to prevent ball breaks ' ......
Ramping on a tournament scene was mostly brought in to deal with the gun cheats. There were so many modes available, cheat menus, removing the trigger spring..... to make the semi shoot fast.

Ramping made a level playing field as far as ROF went. I hazard they thought that giving everyone the same gun skills, I'm talking about ROF and FPS not snapping shooting ability etc then the game would be better as the better players / teams would be able to shine.

When I play in the woods I use semi, even pumps etc but I do get plain and simple overwhelmed by the volume of paint at time. Folks swanning the gun on the shoulder fanning the trigger getting their ramp on, there is only so much I can do against that the statistics are just not on my side.

I like think a cap of 12 would be fine, it is what I can hit in semi.

Trust me as an event organiser that has to make sure all the gun rules are obeyed I get enough hassle with folk changing modes on the field (scenario game) for me to catch let alone trying to deal with run away triggers and mech bounce testing (anyone else remember the tank slap test :) ) If everyone is on ramping at a set bps it is really easy to tell who is bending the rules with my ears.

Ed

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
I think this video has been around for a while. Ramping is not everyone's cup of tea.

The situation as I see it is that the major tournament format we play - and the gun rules that go with it - are dictated mainly by the PSP.

Essentially, we are following what the Yanks do.

Compared to us, they have a large number of skilled pro players with highly refined gun skills and field awareness.

When they lock down lanes with supressive fire - aided by ramping - they do it as part of their Coach's game plan to dominate the field, get G's and make territorial gains.

They are usually assisted in this "supressive fire" approach by some sort of paint subsidy, which allows them to shoot high volumes of paint.

Most of us in the UK do not have the above.

We shoot paint like it is going out of fashion, and pay for it. Hence the reason for the short shelf life of the newer tournament players.

I'm fine with shooting semi - you just need experienced refs using RoF meters who aren't afraid to pull players, supported by a severe penalty system for illegal guns.

And therein lies the problem.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
When it was semi auto, you wouldnt find a gun shooting under 17bps in the Pro league. Funny thing is, everyone tells me Im the fastest guy they've ever seen on a trigger, and I can just about hit 16-17bps. There were SO many gun cheats back then it was unreal.

Then there was the breakout modes.

Id have semi back in a flash, but only if there was an easy way to regulate it.

Reactions: k4p84

essx

Sep 10, 2006
Essex
so really like i said its all about rof caps that control the way people play more than ramping

WihGlah

Autococker Tech
Jul 19, 2009
Oxford
I agree ramping for youngsters or for the less experienced is a turn off. And whenever I play with them I put my marker in semi and put the ROF cap on at 9 bps. I also barrel tag them if possible.

But you get used to getting hit pretty quick. And ramping with a ROF cap is a great equalizer - it doesn't matter how experienced someone is - they can only shoot you as fast as you can shoot them. Plus everyone can hit 5bps to get the rampng to kick in - not everyone can hit 10bps consistently.

TheBeast

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
When i play i set my gunt to Millenium with the 10.5 Bps cap and if i do need to ramp as to cover somebody then i will, But im pretty sure most of you have faster fingers than Ramp ;)

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Nah - it's bounce vests and padding that have ruined it all, forcing you to overshoot players 'cos you don't know how many will bounce, lets have a rule that you're only allowed a single long sleeve t-shirt and unpadded trousers.

I'm happy for people to use whatever fire modes they want in the woods, and Gassy, remember if someones ripping with a response trigger and they are shooting a tippmann they'll soon be out of air, just listen for the tell tale noise then watch them walk out.

automag

Jan 14, 2008
I have got to say I dont like ramping or any other mode. I am old school semi. when we play on our site we try and always play semi and when new walk-ons turn up we ask them what they are set too and try to inform them semi should be used as it is fair on every one.
I have watched a few people fire on ramping/mode in the wood yes you can hear them and I always find they are the ones that cant hit a barn door with a couple of shots so they have to empty a hopper for a hit.
I think using semi gives you better skills, as it makes you know your gun and where to point to shoot.

If they just said to the company's you could only fit semi mode to their guns and no other mode was allowed I could see the companys trying to make the gun better in another way finer triggers even more responsive solenoid's they will always fine away to push the rules a bit like F1. If theres a rules lets see how far we can push it with out getting caught. Just make all the guns have a tourny lock on them and have semi only sites.

Thib

Nov 26, 2008
Newcastle
If we could have full automatic at 10bps. I would sign for it. Ramping made the game a lot faster, especially since the 12bps.

I remember using around 10 pods when not more in semi-automatic for a game; shooting at 17bps or similar for a complete 5minutes.
the only way I wouldn't mind going back to semi was if it is really regulated, and still capped.

Reactions: Jay Ford