Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium change M500

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Having played it at Bricket wood today, it's an excellent format. The limited paint stopped you from shooting too much after the initial lanes, and you had to pick your shots a little more. This made secondary moves a little easier, and made the points a little frenetic as the positions on each side were a little more fluid. The points seemed to be as long as normal, but a little more action filled (not dramatically, but noticeably).
The biggest difference I noticed though, was the transitions. Having only the need to refill a max of 2 pods and a hopper, meant that having a stack of pods ready was simple and you only needed to stuff in a pair of pods and top the hopper to be ready to go on - you could play the whole game on one air fill as well. It strikes me that this is a huge benefit to the lower divisions, and means they can play race points with a minimal or even non existent pit crew, and a predictable maximum paint bill. It also stops teams losing through not being able to afford the paint. I didn't play Campaign last year as the answer to "how much will it cost?" was often "depends how much paint you use". This makes it budgetable and predictable.

Oct 5, 2002
Sauf Koast
I think the layout flattered the format a bit kevin. It'll be interesting to try it on a not so aggressive field I didn't use more than a loader and a pot all day and didn't even think about how much paint i had left. Im with you on the other points though. Should be interesting to see pot swapping tactics before the point starts on different layouts in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Winter

Shepherd:03

London Legion
Apr 23, 2014
Bexleyheath
www.facebook.com
Agreed that it is an aggressive layout, even playing in a back centre role I only had to go into my first pod in half the points and the second pod in the final point of the day (12 points in total). Speaking with other players at Clint's clinic on Saturday, it does seem like the layout is aimed specifically at M500, although with those open gaps it was definitely possible to hold lanes and I'm sure that we'll see the top teams finding ways to lock up the field, especially in the millennium series.

I think that the lack of paint was at the back of everyone's minds and gave a sense of urgency, and combined with the fact that it wasn't strictly a tournament meant that there was more willingness to give riskier breakouts and bumps a try, or at least to make sure they took their chance to make a move. Either way, it sped up the game if they were hit or got into positions to do damage.

The pits were definitely a lot easier to run and not having to refill air every point kept things running quickly. It was helpful that for the trial we were allowed to allocate the pods in the pit, rather than having to go out strictly with 2 each and then swapping at the gate.

How were teams splitting their paint? I saw a few teams stick with 2 each throughout the day, regardless of roles, but most at least dropped their snake player down to 1 pod and the snake corner often had 3.

Overall a really enjoyable day.

Last edited: