Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium Madness

Urban

Oct 31, 2001
Beds, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by PSK1
STOP THINKING OF YOUR BANK BALANCE GUYS you are responsible for the passion of millions of people across the US, Europe and the rest of the world

If the organisers have to spend money to develope the sport further, pay out wages to judges etc, provide better food facilities, changing areas etc its there responsability because as people have said if the current organisers cant do it someone always takes over.
Excuse me, as this may come across as sounding really stupid, but how can they stop thinking of their bank balance and then fork out extra money for the things you expect? Surely the two are inextricably linked?

I could be wrong here, someone please correct me if I am, but I'd be surprised if there was a major tournament around that had lost money?

Assuming they don't lose money then if you look at revenue streams used to pay for the tournaments (player fee's, trade stand charges maybe, I.D. cards etc) it seems that the players and the manufacturers (in fact us again as we pay for the manufacturers!) are paying for the judges wages, toilets, changing areas's, lap dances (wishful thinking!) etc, anyway.

The organisers have a measure of responsibility to ensure the tournament in question runs smoothly and fairly in as much as they organise it, but we are the people who pay for that tournament. In many cases tournaments that are run well and include all the points you mention cost a bit more than those that have something missing.

For example, we can have Professional judges, decent food, 4 bars on site, covered fully-netted indoor fields, plenty of accomodation close by, tannoy systems, spacious staging area with security, stands for spectators, trade hall, showers and changing rooms and have the whole thing easily accessable by road, rail and air.

I walk past it everyday.

It's called the N.E.C. and, at a guess, would cost maybe £500-£1000 per team assuming, 200 teams competeing. Halve that figure and you can probably double the cost, as which point everyone pulls out and the whole thing collapses.

We can have all these nice things, but ultimately we will have to pay for it, not the organisers.

Urban

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by Urban

I could be wrong here, someone please correct me if I am, but I'd be surprised if there was a major tournament around that had lost money?

Urban
There are plenty that cost money to the organisers mate.
Keep in mind that the organisers have to pay for the venue, plus anything that is needed to turn what is usually a regular sports center into a paintball site. This requires netting, the scaffolding to put the netting up, any infrastructure and machinery needed to stage the whole thing, plus loads of other things. Besides that, in most tournament series a promoter has to pay a fee to the series administration. He has to take care and pay for reffing. He has to pay for any extra entertainment, pay for staff to run all these things, and god knows what else.
As far as income goes, there are entry fees, which is never a guaranteed since you don't know how many teams will come. There is the trade show, but most of the big stands on those are series sponsors, and are therefore entitled to an X amount of free space at each event (which means it is money in the pockets of the series, not the organiser's), so most of the money from the trade stands comes from any extra space the series sponsors need, plus the smaller companies that show up. Money could also be made from outside sponsors, but we all know that at this point there are no millions heading our way. They fork out big cash for a return that is never certain.
I've seen the cost/income analysis of a few events, and trust me when I say that it wasn't impressive, profit wise. If you look at the amount of time and effort put into these things, and the profit a few events make, it's hardly worth the effort.
I'm not saying that we should all feel sorry for the promoters, they took this role upon themselves, nobody put a gun to their heads, but they ain't racking in the dough....

Not an attack on anyone this, just an explanation.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Buddha 3
There is the trade show, but most of the big stands on those are series sponsors, and are therefore entitled to an X amount of free space at each event (which means it is money in the pockets of the series, not the organiser's)
While you're in an explaining mood, Big Boy, what distinction is there in the Mil Series between the "Series" and the promotors? (Not trying to make a point, just curious)

repairman

Feb 14, 2003
Carlsbad, CA
Visit site
Reply to Robbo

Robbo,
You know as well as I that up until the HB event the millenniums to date have been the best events. I firmly believe that they
have had problems, but unlike the problems in the US the Millennium has had a positive effect on the sport. Lets look at the good too the Millennium has created. The Millennium for the US players has been the top events for the last couple of years.
We look forward to traveling abroad for every event. The events have been made for the players. The reffing has been top notch
as far as we are concerned. (I do make one exception to this. Dynasty my team is the worst reffing team out there, We suck. I think that is as blunt as can be.) I hope that this year the Millenniums can pull off at least what they did last year even with the world a the edge of war in Iraq. I am not saying that there are problems Pete, but the problems you are stating are small
by comparison to those in the US. I hope Strange still goes to Europe to play in the Millennium as well as the nations Cup. I hope that we get to play with them.

Lets just see how well the Portugal event goes before we jump off a ledge.

Rodders