Millennium Marshalling!!

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
My 2cs

Originally posted by TJ Lambini
Have teams been polled to see whther they would all pay an extra X amount of Euros per event to pay for Pro Refs to fly over? Or maybe the SC Ironmen and the All As fly in and ref? Has anyone asked tha teams?

If that's not practical or the teams don't want it, then it makes sense that the Pros should ref, but having one rule for the US teams and one rule for the Euros is unfair.

If you make Pros ref then you make all Pros ref. Either that or you make every Pro team who wants to play for the Series title, and therefore earn series points, have to ref one event.
You're right about polling the teams. If the majority of teams would be willing to pay this IMO small price (that is we have to ref for series points but they don't have to but still can) to make it more attractive for Americans then it wouldn't be unfair.

Steve

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Hasn't the pool of potential reffing crews just widened tremendously? I remember reading that Am B teams will also be considered. I know there is always the issue of experience and all that, but there are plenty of Am B teams I'd trust to do a good job. Hell, some of last year's novice teams might even be a good choice (for instance a team like Kelly's I'd expect to do a fine job, although I'm not trying to say they should do it, just using them as an example).
So why this move?

Just curious.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Buddha 3
Hasn't the pool of potential reffing crews just widened tremendously? I remember reading that Am B teams will also be considered. I know there is always the issue of experience and all that, but there are plenty of Am B teams I'd trust to do a good job. Hell, some of last year's novice teams might even be a good choice (for instance a team like Kelly's I'd expect to do a fine job, although I'm not trying to say they should do it, just using them as an example).
So why this move?

Just curious.
Again, I'll reiterate the need for ref training, perhaps eve-of-tourney training sessions (again I volunteer to do it for compensation of expenses), pre-tourney briefings to ensure consistency, rules testing and drilling, enforcement of adequate performance (sanctioning as Karlijn's press release called it) and independent head judges on every field.

Definitely award series points to ANY team that can cut the mustard.

If most Mill teams agree with the program then we can probably guarantee success, albeit nothing will ever be perfect.

IMHO.

Steve

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by Wadidiz
Again, I'll reiterate the need for ref training, perhaps eve-of-tourney training sessions (again I volunteer to do it for compensation of expenses), pre-tourney briefings to ensure consistency, rules testing and drilling, enforcement of adequate performance (sanctioning as Karlijn's press release called it) and independent head judges on every field.

Definitely award series points to ANY team that can cut the mustard.

If most Mill teams agree with the program then we can probably guarantee success, albeit nothing will ever be perfect.

IMHO.

Steve
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no problems with what you suggest above.
It's just that it seems like someone's worried about the number of reffing squads this season, while there are plenty of teams to draw crews from.
But I could be wrong.

One thing, do we really want to force the American teams to ref as well? That would mean Dynasty would have to do it again too....:eek: :D

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Lots of differing opinions in this thread but one that does need to be looked at...as the subject has been covered more than a couple of times on this board and in print, since when was it assumed that the best teams are the best refs ? Because you can shoot straight and quickly and read a move doesn't mean you can make the quick calls needed. to force a team to ref just to gain series points is flawed, Buddha brought up the Dynasty issue and a few years ago the same thing applied for Bobs Ironmen in the NPPL series, ok nice enough people but not cut out to be refs...the motives to do the job were not to further paintball just to ensure they got the maximum amount of points to ensure their placing within the series event.

This current trend of laying down to ref is bull**** one ref cannot decide who was hit first in that situation, if you are laying down to ensure you won't get hit then bloody well say that, don't wrap it up in crap of getting a better view 'cos lying down you only see one angle, plus a ref lying down will generally give away a move happening IF they actually see it 'cos you can't sutlely (sp?) glance around when laying down...sorry for the sideways rant but it does fit in with the above 'cos it concerns the issue of effective judging

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Mark
Lots of differing opinions in this thread but one that does need to be looked at...as the subject has been covered more than a couple of times on this board and in print, since when was it assumed that the best teams are the best refs ? Because you can shoot straight and quickly and read a move doesn't mean you can make the quick calls needed. to force a team to ref just to gain series points is flawed, Buddha brought up the Dynasty issue and a few years ago the same thing applied for Bobs Ironmen in the NPPL series, ok nice enough people but not cut out to be refs...the motives to do the job were not to further paintball just to ensure they got the maximum amount of points to ensure their placing within the series event.

This current trend of laying down to ref is bull**** one ref cannot decide who was hit first in that situation, if you are laying down to ensure you won't get hit then bloody well say that, don't wrap it up in crap of getting a better view 'cos lying down you only see one angle, plus a ref lying down will generally give away a move happening IF they actually see it 'cos you can't sutlely (sp?) glance around when laying down...sorry for the sideways rant but it does fit in with the above 'cos it concerns the issue of effective judging
With all respect, Mark, I see it a little differently on your two main points.

I believe that MOST pro players can be trained, instructed and motivated into decent judges. They know what to look out for from experience. They just need to be coached, drilled on consistent knowledge and application of the rules and then become convinced that they will be watched and required to do a good job. I know that this sounds perhaps oversimplistic but I believe that basically it's true.

As for lying down to ref, there are situations that lend themselves to lying down and other situations that don't. I find that lying down at the 60, roughly mid-field, facing the team I want to watch will give me the best vantage point to see if players get hit on the break.

Then I sometimes find that I can best see if balls are coming into the chest/stomach/crouch area of a player best while lying down or mostly low on my knees and concentrating on 3 or 4 players in my zone. I know I'm not there to be lazy; I'm there because experience has told me it's best. If I lie down or crouch because I'm afraid, that's one thing. If I do so to keep out of a firing lane or so that the players on the other side are less likely to see who I'm looking at, that's just professional. If bunkering situations seem imminent then I'm already up on my feet.

The simple truth is: there are no cut and dry positions or stances that are "correct". It has much more to do with attitude and situation. Some zones or group of players are best watched from the sidelines even.

My thoughts.

Steve

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
okey...

Originally posted by Magued

The rule is there to force the best reffs ( pro teams ) generally speaking, to reff. As the main problem with todays paintball is the lack off good reffing team.

Does this mean that Am and Nov judges are usually worse than the Pros?? Why? i dont see how you can say that Pro's are better refs, look at the job that Dynasty did of reffing Amsterdam.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sam

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Steve, on the break, yeah I'll go along with that one but then the refs don't move they just stay like that and laying down a judge WILL give away a move because of their blinkered view of the play. Ok there ARE instances where to lie down is the choice but the current situation we have is more to due with lazyness than ability and the play unfolding so that becomes the choice.

Secondly and more firstly :) train people ??? come on, all can be trained but when you are training for the game as all pro's do ;) when will you find the time to do it plus they aren't interested in reffing they want the series points.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Mark
Steve, on the break, yeah I'll go along with that one but then the refs don't move they just stay like that and laying down a judge WILL give away a move because of their blinkered view of the play. Ok there ARE instances where to lie down is the choice but the current situation we have is more to due with lazyness than ability and the play unfolding so that becomes the choice.

Secondly and more firstly :) train people ??? come on, all can be trained but when you are training for the game as all pro's do ;) when will you find the time to do it plus they aren't interested in reffing they want the series points.
On your second and most important point, Mark, I admit that I may be simplifying things a bit much or a little idealistic, but the main thing here is leadership and having teeth to the demands that teams who marshall for points give a minimally adequate performance for those points.

As for training, I don't think it has to be any long, drawn out program. Perhaps a cram refresher course on the eve of the tournament just after a diagnostic test to find out where the weak areas are in the rules knowledge department.

The main thing is the accountability that Karlijn told about in her press release: warning and, after that, sanctioning for poor judging performance.

The bottom line is: I believe the issue is much more about laziness and lack of motivation; not as much possible competence. Frankly, I think all too often teams use their reffing option as an excuse to go to a tourney, party-party-party MUCH more than they would if playing and then show up at the site technically drunk with toothpicks propping there eyes open. That's the real truth, ain't it?

Steve

Magued

Jul 10, 2001
Visit site
Sjt19

My man...

Thats why I said "genarally speaking"
And if you ask me if pros generally makes better reffs than Am and Nov, my answer would be yes.
I could list a bunch of Nov and Am teams that have reffed that really sucked, as you could name Dynasty.

So what exactly was your point?

Magued