The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium Organisers

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by Buddha 3
Hmmm, now I don't see why the game needs to be a set length for it to be televised. American football matches don't have set lengths
You are kidding right? American Football has a set game length.

neither does boxing.
True, but have you seen the problems they have covering when Naz knocks someone out in the first round. Makes damn lousy TV for the next half hour or so... For a new sport that people aren't sure about we don't want those complications, or rather the media doesn't want those complications.

I personally would not like the idea that no points would be scored for eliminations, it goes against the whole grain of paintball.
Maybe you could also have bonuses for eliminations. But as for it going against the grain, well maybe for it to move forward such changes may need to happen? I rememeber people saying that not playing in the woods or not wearing camo went against the grain of what paintball was about.

Anybody who plays paintball does so for the simple fact that they like to shoot somebody upside the head. I think by taking away the points for an elimination, you take away the 'soul' of paintball.
??? You can still shoot people. I find shooting people satisfying, that won't change just because you don't get points for it. When I shoot someone out I don't think wahoo 3 points... I think yeah I shot them out. I could care less about the points I get for that elimination just as long as I got them out. Why else is rec ball still fun? No points per elimination there...

manike

confuzzed2

Scrub
Jul 10, 2001
Bossier City, Louisiana
As for the media portion of the event, why cant they put up all the fancy graphics and what not like other major sporting events? Take ice hockey for instance....Fox used some cool ways of tracking the puck, and everything they use for football (yank football that is). Im thinking they can flash info (i.e. body counts, timers, etc.) along the bottom of the screen to keep the spectators "in the game". Maybe alot easier said than done, but those are my thoughts.

manike...

it is all too complicated for joe schmoe.

Just how in the hell to suppose a player will be able to press a button on the 50/75 or wherever. Are you going to put buttons in the barricades, if not most teams will just sit and wait for the other team to be dumb enough to send a player at a button, thereby taking all focus off the other team and putting it on the button. I know that I would lock down a game and wait for the other team to make a move unless I was 100% sure that I could change the flag.

With your system all that matters is who is further up the field at the end so even if the opposite team gets to the 50 1st, who cares. Just wait them out and then after you clear them out tip the flag the other way.

Also you mention trying different things each set of repeats. Can't see it happening. All a team has to do is max one game then sit on their asses and lock up the field for the rest of time = defensive = BORING.

With the score clock solution there is no buzzers for the crowd to follow - they only indicate the end of the game, and teams going into the final game knowing that need XX number of points if they want to move on put their fate in their own hands. Sure it might cause the other team to play defensively but at least it might give the crowd something to watch (players getting plucked one after the other).

You are also changing the game way too much - and much more than is really needed. Anyone who can honestly look at paintball and say that it would on TV as a live sport needs their head examined. It will only work as a tape delay - heavily edited program, even with yout flag idea there would still possibly be 2,3,4 even 7 minutes of dead action (when no one is moving either way and just shooting) and if you think that anyone outside paintball will watch this your nutz (don't mean it personally just a way of talking). So now your theory on 10 minute bits of action doesn't really apply.

goose

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
It's actually extremely simple... Well I think so anyway.

Buttons? WTF? no buttons here. If you just lock down on the flag stations then I wish you the best of luck when you get your ass bunkered.

As you said if you take your focus off the other team to just look at the button that team is gonna come down and take you to pieces and then change the flags... bit stupid to just watch the flags huh?

It matters how far up the field you get and how long you own certain areas of the field. Doesn't a normal game of paintball just matter about how far up the field you get? Lets face it once you are at the other teams base station haven't you just pretty much won the game?

If you wish to play defensively that's your choice, to be honest I think if you play defensively you will never get any points with this format and will lose all the time, just what you deserve. teams with flair and imagination who deserve to win will go for it and get points and win. If you chose to play defensively it will not help you. You can choose to play defensively in a normal game as well? Why is that any different?

You think the crowd would rather follow buzzers than flags? Come on, what if you tune in late? and missed the buzzer? you have no idea what is going on. if it makes you happier when you tip the flag we could make a buzzer sound. :) What is it about buzzers? I think that has to be the crappest form of signalling something has happened possible.

The 10 minutes of action is exactly what they can use and edit to make a program. if you just have 2 minutes of action you will be hard pressed to make a longer program than 2 minutes... with 10 minutes you can always edit it down to make a set lenght interesting format. Same way we get football highlights. You have to have more so you can reduce it down. Starting with an uncertain lenght which could be very short does not give the production company any scope to work with. We must give them that scope so we must give them more game time per team on team competition.

I've actualy researched this and had non paintballing players watch paintball on TV, most were not impressed because they couldn't always see what was going on and who was winning. Buzzers will not solve that problem but flags will. Same as with when you turn on American football, you may not see the score but you can see who is on the offensive and how far down the pitch they are...

The game is not the best for TV in its current form. The only people who like watching it at the moment are people who play and understand what is happening. To be honest I don't give much of a **** about them (well I do but...) I care about the millions of people that have not played but which we could show something exciting and get into the sport.

I think to be honest as with many you are thinking too much about your own game as it is now and not what we can do to make the future of our sport better and more acceptable for people WHO DO NOT PLAY to watch... THAT is what we must do... and I will still get satisfaction from shooting out people on the opposing team... just now I will get to do it for 10 minute periods non stop (Am i the only one that thinks that will be much better?) rather than having the game over in a couple of minutes most of the time.

manike

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Manike,

I normally like your suggestions but this one has me thinking of laser-tag. 10mins, resets, gimbled flags etc it all sounds a little kiddy run-around to me.
I can understand why people who know nothing about the game can find it different to follow as there is no 'ball' type focal point - you have to watch 14 players all doing individual things. I dont see how your solution get around that fact.

Scutty :confused:

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Errrrr.....thanks goose.....

I was just about to mention the same thing about yank football, but you beat me to it.:rolleyes:
Indeed the game has a 'fixed' 60 minutes of game time, but the actual time between kick off, and the clock running out is wildly variable. This is because they work with 'real' playing time, in other words: nothing happens, clock doesn't run. Trust me on this one, I spent a godawful long period of my life on the gridiron. Messed up my ankles pretty good.
As far as the point of a game with a varying time length might not be the easiest to get televised big scale, that is a very valid point.

On another note people, given the fact that Toulouse drew a gazillion people, do we really need to change anything in order to start drawing more and more crowds?

Just a thought.......

Scrotum

Overdose
Jul 7, 2001
Sweden
www.r60design.com
Originally posted by confuzzed2
As for the media portion of the event, why cant they put up all the fancy graphics and what not like other major sporting events? Take ice hockey for instance....Fox used some cool ways of tracking the puck, and everything they use for football (yank football that is). Im thinking they can flash info (i.e. body counts, timers, etc.) along the bottom of the screen to keep the spectators "in the game". Maybe alot easier said than done, but those are my thoughts.
Just like in the Joy Masters video, those graphics are great! You got Game time, body count next to team name just like hockey or Soccer...

Easy to follow for people unrelatet to paintball...

/ Just my Opinion..