The Home Of European Paintball

Millenniums new rule against shoulder padding

Recoil

EBlade *fap*
Apr 26, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Originally posted by Beaker
Recoil - remeber this rules is for Millenniums, where there is none of this "rough ground" you talk about, although i still find that implausable from when i used to wear trace pads the shins did sweet fa but get bounces.
ok to a degree I will give you that point, however maybe its just the way I slide, I tend to go in on my knees and shins... sorta. I was glad of them at Campaign on the astro turf....

but then I dont wear elbow pads....

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Like I said I used to use Trace pads, and the shin bit didn't do anything even though I slide in the same way. You do need knee pads for that, but the weight is taken by your knees and feet, the shins actually hardly touch the ground (especially when you don't have bulky pads on! :) ).

Trinity

Oct 16, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by Recoil
ok to a degree I will give you that point, however maybe its just the way I slide, I tend to go in on my knees and shins... sorta. I was glad of them at Campaign on the astro turf....

but then I dont wear elbow pads....
I think alot depends on the way you slide, Padding on the knees is a must to protect your cartilage, but friction burns on shins if you go in flat on your keens and shins can be a bitch(can I write that?)

Seems like there is always another reason to write more rules eh??

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
what ever way you look at it, padding on shoulders are designer cheats. Paintball markers have no recoil, tanks can be fitted with lok skins or neoprine covers to stop them sliding about, so the padding serves no purpose except to cause bounces.
Padding on your forearms, knees, groin, and head should be alowed as these are for personal safety reasons, but shoulders are not vital parts that are going to be damaged by a paintball.

It's common sense.

If i remember correctly, the daltons played in padded football (soccer to the yanks) keepers jerseys last year, and they should have never been alowed on the field. It's about time somebody drew a line about padding.

Gee

Mar 18, 2002
Reading UK
Visit site
Originally posted by sjt19
it would seem to me that the majority of the people who are against the ban here will be the ones who already have the DYE tops, or have them on order.

and those who dont have the DYE tops, who were kicking themselves for not getting them cos of the padding, are in favor of the ban as it will not benefit them to let others wear the tops.

There is not that much padding on the tops, and the design at the front of the shoulders, with the bobbles, is to increase the grip of the back of the bottle against the material of the top. i trained at the weekend and the guys we were training against were wearing them and they did not increase bounces more than normal and there were plenty of guys who had paint marks there when the games ended. with a paintball travelling at 300 fps a few milimetres of material does jack to stop them exploding on your body.

An interesting question would be:

FOR THOSE IN FAVOUR OF THE BAN, HAVE YOU ACTUALLY SEEN THE NEW TOPS, FELT THEM, AND PLAYED AGAINST THEM?

I sincerely doubt that many people have seen them and examined them, therefore their opinion on whether the padding is over the top is totally irrelavent. How can they accurately comment on something they have never seen?????

Another option would be to make it compulsory to wear DYE tops so that everyone has the same advantage/disadvantage depending what your views are......but hang on......that would be unfair on people like JT, Raven, Draxxus, Smartparts and all the other companies..........by preventing their kit to be worn.....but hang on again......thats exactly whats being done to DYE......

sam
Actually Sam, these Dye tops are illegal under the previous seasons rules already. You can't have padding on your torso unless you're female.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Originally posted by sjt19
it would seem to me that the majority of the people who are against the ban here will be the ones who already have the DYE tops, or have them on order.

and those who dont have the DYE tops, who were kicking themselves for not getting them cos of the padding, are in favor of the ban as it will not benefit them to let others wear the tops.

There is not that much padding on the tops, and the design at the front of the shoulders, with the bobbles, is to increase the grip of the back of the bottle against the material of the top. i trained at the weekend and the guys we were training against were wearing them and they did not increase bounces more than normal and there were plenty of guys who had paint marks there when the games ended. with a paintball travelling at 300 fps a few milimetres of material does jack to stop them exploding on your body.

An interesting question would be:

FOR THOSE IN FAVOUR OF THE BAN, HAVE YOU ACTUALLY SEEN THE NEW TOPS, FELT THEM, AND PLAYED AGAINST THEM?

I sincerely doubt that many people have seen them and examined them, therefore their opinion on whether the padding is over the top is totally irrelavent. How can they accurately comment on something they have never seen?????

Another option would be to make it compulsory to wear DYE tops so that everyone has the same advantage/disadvantage depending what your views are......but hang on......that would be unfair on people like JT, Raven, Draxxus, Smartparts and all the other companies..........by preventing their kit to be worn.....but hang on again......thats exactly whats being done to DYE......

sam
Whereas I haven't specifically voted for the ban I haven't voted against it either.
Yes I have felt the new tops, in fact we had a damn good look at them as we were contemplating them as the new team tops.
Previous to this announcement I remember a picture in PGI which was discussed on this board, it was the picture with the hopperhit/sticker, I made a comment about the guy in the forefront of the picture who was wearing one of the new Dye tops, to me because of the way the material bunches up when in a firing position to other quite a good deal of buffering, the padding itself may not be that thick but bunched up I'm sure it'd do the job or rather be more likely to get a bounce then not do.

Paul.

[edit] to add link[/edit]

http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb...15&pagenumber=2

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Ever since I crushed a knee-cap during a tournament (by far the worst pain I have ever experienced; I understand the Cosa Nostra's methods now) I will not step foot on a PB field without knee protection. As I said earlier in this thread, protective padding, where allowed is good, should probably even be required at most indoor fields.

The "new rule" against padded jerseys is not really a new rule at all: it is an interpretation of existing rules against padding. A clarification if you will so people don't have to think. It's too bad peeps can't figure things out themselves and that things have to be spelled out in the most minute detail. At this rate the rules will fill up a van that has to be driven to each tournament.

Like I and others have said here: leave this door open and the door will get blasted off its hinges. The line has to be drawn for all the non-thinkers and pushers of grey areas.

As far as interpreting rules, judges need to grow a set and make some common-sense judgments and stick with them. If someone comes to play with clothing or equipment that violate the rules or the intention behind the rules, judges need to just say no (ex. the issue of trigger-guards, hopper stickers and tucked-in jerseys).

Steve

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
Welp

If anyone has the mentioned jersey please do us a favor!!

Check if you can somehow remove (rip/burn/excorcise) that damn padding PLEASE!

Just to be creative a bit :)