Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Mission paintball

Giles

Jul 17, 2001
Buckingham Palace
Visit site
OOh that struck a nerve or two, I had been asked to put some fresh opinions on the page that were my own opinions and not just replies from others comments in threads

well here we go again, firstly Niall it was not a smear on your good name neither was it meant to be
I had seen your name on the titlers but was not to sure on your whole allowed involvement
we can all be responsible for helping and driving the sport in the area that we wish it to be viewed
I do not own a site or have any affiliation to any in particular but can say that I know Niall does try his hardest when it comes to events at all levels as do others, if they did not I wouldnt go
I dont preach to others that I know any better but I do have opinions and after many years I believe that to be informed
I would gladly give up my free time at no cost to help the directors, producers of any televised event my opinion on what would bring more people and good viewing to a wider audience to a tv show
i was only asking if any pro teams were in the programme and who they were I wasnt expecting Poofd to get so irate about some comments and attack me personally, if I am so well ahted in the paintball fraternity I wish someone would come off the fence and let me know as every time I talk to people I dont get that feeling
Perhaps poofd you are looking at your own self and not me when you write that note

Oh well back to scouring the TV guide for the next programme

And Niall if you want me you know where i am and I dont even expect my name in the title, just the opportunity to give my thoughts after all there are a few of us like Pete R that have been in the sport for such a period of time and hold a vast amount of grey stuff on what might be better for the sport

as for poofd Ive never made a profit in over 15 years of playing the sport that I call my own, and have made more freinds than enemies along the way

Peace :rolleyes:

NIALL

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Firstly Giles,

I was probably more miffed at the tone of your first post regarding M/P than the contents of the posting. I suppose when I look back and read it it was harmless enough. At the time however I felt you implied that little effort had been put in by me. This couldn't be further from the truth. To use a quaint expression - "you cannot polish a turd" at times, believe me, it felt that was what we were trying to do.

I have always tried to embrace the media and guide them to the perceived ideal picture that we as Paintball, all want to see. Unfortunately this is nigh on impossible. Programme makers all have their idea of what the show will look like when its finished, and the only thing that can stand in their way is the budget, which in M/P's case was miniscule. If you want to help then no problem, I'll call you if and when they come back for more.

Everyone else with an interest in this topic....

So why is it like it is?

Firstly the games themselves that were played. The general aim was to keep a central focus of attention.. A flag on a pole, A presenter to rescue, A ball. All dodgy agreed, BUT the single biggest problem when filming, is tracking the action. You cannot film a two flag game without about 20 cameras. We used 7 plus the head cams. Its only towards the end of the series that you can follow the action more easily. This comes down to the cameramen getting used to the flow of action, and getting really shot up!!

The brief was that the show is not to be made for Paintballers, but for an introduction to paintball. I think it succeeds perfectly here. What the show conveys at this time is most people perception of what paintball is. Not my opinion, but remember I am not the programme maker. THe Camo graphics are crap and I hate them. real circa 1988. The Camerman are in camo to avoid being seen. The players are in 'team colours' and as unmilitaristic as possible. My opinion, for the record, is Paintball only exists as a sport at the "top level" Recreational paintball at sites like mine is a leisure persuit and a great business to be in.

Why are the teams who they are? Well I was asked to source them. Where do I start. Bearing in mind we want to promote a good image and as little teddy bear throwing as possible. I've been in Paintball for 13 years. Played at every level, So I know most teams out there. (Its true that the older I get the better I was!!) I also conferred at length to two people I have the most time for in paintball Ledz and Bully.

The show builds up to the final which was played at Crystal Palace between Rushers and Banzai. This shows a completely different Paintball environment and added to this the presenters interviewed some "faces". They were going to film Robbo's trick shooting, but he left early. (Pressure Pete or did you forget??)

Finally, and I don't know why this came up...Money.

Mission Paintball...Well for all my time and effort and that of the Campaign crew we get one visual and one verbal reference per show. Wow!!

Campaign Cup.... Jeez If only you knew how much money that lost, but we will be there again next year putting on an even bigger show than we had this year, on more telly screens, and putting right the few mistakes we made this year. If it loses money why do we do it...Simple To keep the sport growing and getting to a wider audience.

End of ramblings.

All the best
Niall

:) :eek: :)