Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

More World Cup misery

R

raehl

Yes, but...

The ref is supposed to add time back on the clock for time lost to non-game time. Thus the games lasting longer than 90 minutes.

- Chris

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Well...

Originally posted by raehl
...You're plan sounds good, except for one thing my experience as an event promoter tells me:

It just won't happen.

...And I'd agree with others: You'll never have good reffing if the refs are also players in the league and are getting reffing points - and it screws up league rankings anyway.

...Paintball is *NOT* normal. It's not even freaking close.

...It's a combination trade show, convention and entertainment event, not a sporting event.- Chris
Chris,

I think your assessment of the situation is dead on. Paintball iz...wadidiz. There's nothing like it, it evolved into...wadidiz.

I agree that properly trained, professional, totally independent judges are the way to go and the way it will be in the future. Sooner for X-Ball, later for the series leagues.

My ranting and ravings has been about season 2003. What I am suggesting is not only workable IMO but is much needed for the upcoming Mill, NPPL and PSP season.

You'll never have good reffing if the refs are also players in the league and are getting reffing points - and it screws up league rankings anyway.

True that it is not the optimal but it is what we got now. Let's fine-tune it while we work towards outside sponsorship.

The suggestions CAN work and here's how:

1. A cornerstone of the plan is to require pro and amateur teams to ref one tournament in the series in order to qualify for series points. Since all teams competing for series points are subject to the same conditions then I don't see how it would screw up the rankings. A point of speculation is: will that bring enough or perhaps too many reffing teams?

2. Accountability. Supervise and hold the reffing teams accountable for their work at risk of losing points. Not an all-or-nothing system, but devise a system that has some teeth. Pay independent head-field judges to ensure a good job is done. Yep, refs reffing refs who are also reffed by refs. Kinda like police who are subject to laws, an internal review board, politicians and an electorate. Make it clear from the git-go that competency, fairness, enforcement and excellency will be demanded.

3. Institute the new, tougher rules against cheating and unsportsmanlike conduct (3-strikes-you're out, etc.) and communicate very clearly that a new order has come.

4, Be very strict about the training sessions, briefings, etc. Consistently give penalty points to any teams whose refs don't attend or who show up late, etc. People will push the rules. Expect it and deal with extreme prejudice.

Again, all of this is a question of a new determination, good communication, good teaching skills (notice I didn't say pedagogics!) and proper organization.

Someone convince me with LOGIC why this wouldn't work with the backing of clear rules and the determination to enforce them. Please don't just say "it'll never work." Tell me why.

And yes, it will costs somewhat more. But will be worth it.

Steve

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by Buddha 3
I feel that the cursing will never be a big problem. It happens in every sport.
It doesn't happen in rugby. Make rules if you don't want it, enforce them, and watch it stop. Simple. Trouble is rules in paintball aren't always enforced or aren't enforced consistently.

Chris the added time in football (soccer) is only for when play stops such as injuries etc. Play does not stop for bitching in soccer, it is within play time. A ref doesn't add time to the game to account for when players were bitching... if we did that a game of football (soccer) would take as long as a game of American football... and no one here wants that :)

If we want good reffing lets pay for it. AND make them accountable for the quality of their service. Otherwise people will always play to what we have and get away with everything the judges don't/can't catch :rolleyes:

manike

dcruz

Jul 24, 2001
Portugal
Visit site
Waht???!

Hey,

Beckam is not the most Known sport figure in the planet TJ!!!!!
Figo is...hehehehehe:D

Now seriously I dont see nothing wrong with taking the best rules and procedures from each sport as long as it makes some kind of sense to ours.

Added time is not the answer!

Diogo,

Team Centerflag Europe

paintballma

Jul 26, 2001
cal
Gentlemen,
I have to go with Chris on this one. I get tired of hearing "everyone else does it," sounds too much like the proverbial teenager. Number one, no EVERYONE does not do it, and even if they did, it does not make it right.
In soccer, does the ref not have the absolute right to take that nice little card out of his pocket on the spot and take care of any ugly situations? Can't you just see it in paintball....red card, the players would fall down on the field laughing! (Only because they know the rules are seldom enforced).
I had the pleasure of watching the xball, and the class difference between the college teams and the pros was vast. Chris has done a great job not tolerating the typically accepted nonsense.
Sponsors could go far in trying to combat the bad reputation, but I have learned, first hand, that any publicity is good publicity.

Walker (Nitro)

Who's Maria?
Jul 8, 2001
SoNotts
OK, here's my problem with that Chris...

Originally posted by TJ 2
>>>

Let's talk soccer - David Beckham. Possibly the most widely known and recognised sports figure on tha planet, national hero to tha Brits, got his own clothes range for kids...the whole nine yards.

Every single game he plays he, not unlike every single other professional soccer player, gets in the officials face, gets involved in altercations, tells tha ref to go **** himself and to **** right off on a regular basis - watch the TV, you can lip-synch it easy enough. Plus the entire opposition crowd will be busy singing 'Posh Spice takes it up the ass' to show their appreciation of Lady Victoria, his wife.

I don't see that denting soccer, or Beckham's status as goldenballs, with the world's media or the buying public and their parents.
This aint Soccer, plus David Beckham will have been told by sponsors to act up a little, otherwise he would be a boring fart and no-one would sponsor him....

R

raehl

Well...

I don't know how much credit I can personally take for the vast class difference, college ball has just always been like that.

When you get down to it, there are nice people, and there are not-so-nice people. Nice people are, despite what you see in the pros, the majority. The problem is the not-so-nice people just form teams with other not-so-nice people, and the nice people, not wanting to deal with their BS, stop playing.

In college ball, the not-so-nice people get kicked off the college team because the nice people on the team don't want to deal with their BS, and then we never have to actually see them at events because they can't play. Occasionally a team makes the mistake of bringing an ass with them to a tournament, at which point the player earns them a few nasty penalties and a whole lot of social ridicule and the mistake isn't repeated. Player retention is a big thing for college programs, so nobody wants their new players getting pissed off and quitting because some dick at the event can't behave themselves.

Well, maybe that's a bit of an oversimplification. There's also a whole lot of people who just follow the example that they're given. That means our guys don't learn to play paintball by watching people fight after every game and arn't confused into thinking that's how paintball is supposed to be played.

- Chris