Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Movin from the front to the back

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Sadly, I'm just not fit or fast enough (or small enough for that matter) to play anywhere BUT the back in most situations especially sup'air. Lucky really that I enjoy that position so much! I think it might be to do with having to use my brain, and knowing what's going on all the time on the whole field, not just dumping streams of paint. The poor old front guys rarely know what's happening on the rest of the field.

Of course, could just be that the back players (especially the back centre) tend to run the game more than the fronts & I'm just a bossy cow who likes telling people what to do!:D :D :D

Three back players is pretty standard but the field layout will determine this. Don't get too caught up with numbers or you may miss some radical positioning that will help you to win the game.
I'd go for a 16" barrel for the back.
The advantage of a longer barrel seems to be regularly overlooked - more porting along the length.
Porting was originally put on barrels, not only to make them quieter but to allow the majority of the gas behind the ball to exit the barrel prior to the ball leaving the end so that it wouldn't be exiting in turbulant air.
The longer the barrel, the more gas is gone by the time it reaches the end, and the smoother the transition.
It may not give you much more distance/accuracy but I'll happily take that extra ;o)
Finally on your original question on how to conserve paint - use your head and your voice. Communication will allow you to keep all your players in the game and may give others on your team the shot that you can't make.
Good luck and enjoy it, you may not get the glory at the back but its the best position on the team (don't tell the bunker monkeys that - they'll all want a go).

JJ

crazypbkid

team driven black
Apr 23, 2002
va
Visit site
I think that 2 back 2 front and one mid works best but thats just how i usually run it because if all your front guys (only 2 of them) then usually the back ppl doint wanna or areant fast enough to move up to the ky holder positions but if u got a mid guy who is off the tape line then with the added support of a back guy or 2 he can hold them and take the majority of the fire making it easier for some of us big back guys to make the move onto a tape bunker