Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Movin from the front to the back

P

Phoenix

Alright, my team and I decided that I should move from the front to the back. The reason is I just got an Angel and we want heavy fire power in the back. So, aside from the normal tourney advice (stay tight, communication, etc), any tips for a "new" back player? I am just curious hearing some advice from the seasoned back players. Thanks.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Buddha 3

Above all, enjoy. Welcome to the world of real men. :D
Ad real women, don't forget!

Your going to have to work more on your general all-round awareness at the back - front players tend to only need to focus on one part of the field but the back players have to be aware of what's going wrong all round.
Communication is an even bigger issue at the back as well, you are the eyes of your front players.
Sweetspotting is a technique worth practicing 'cause you'll get the chance that way of getting one or two out on the break as well as shooting your front guys in, & try looking at the running lanes from a different point of view when you walk the fields.
And as Buddha3 says, get a bigger pack. At least 7 pots as an absolute minimum & preferably 9 or 11 for tournament play.

The advantages are that you don't have to run so far or so fast or early in the game usually, & you get to use the big standing up bunkers so no kneeling or lying down in the soggy grass or mud. Youalso don't have to worry about what you eat to stay whippet-thin either, though I gather that you have to anyway as part of the ret of your life.

Enjoy yourself - it's fun!:)

SYTRAXZ

Sytraxz Graphics inc.
Feb 18, 2002
New York
um

not sure if im accurate to this one but a player once said if you play in the back you should get like a 18" barrel to help keep the ball shooting straighter, but if i am wrong please correct me:)

Solonor

hmm

A barrel helps although the Infinity of the Angel is a high-end barrel-but maybe a 16''(or 18'') freak would do better...
I don't know much to advice but I'm sure that a back player with knowledge from front would do really nice overall-so good luck man...
Just a question: What's the markers of your other players?
Respect

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Stay with 14", don't go above that. DO NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY REASON GET AN 18" BARREL. As Buddha3 says, buy a bigger pack. Currently I carry a 9 and a football. 88/4500 or 114/4500 tank is a nice thing to have too. Stock Angel barrel is good, as is a DYE SS or Ultralite. Personally I'd say if you want a lot of different bore size options, get a set of straight bore, single piece CP barrels rather than a Freak because they're simpler to clean, cheaper, and allow for 14" of straight bore rather than just 5", and they're much more gas efficient, and even slightly quieter.

Communication is critical. Learn to be very specific, very descriptive, very fast, AND VERY VERY LOUD. Repeat yourself until understood every time and you hear teammates repeat what you say....less than that is unacceptable. Be constantly aware of the task of picking off bunkering attempts made on your forwards.

Lay enough paint and taunt opponents while doing so to make shooting lanes one way streets. Shoot at edges of bunkers where opposition is likely to come out, alternating sides to keep them from snap shooting you, and when they are sticking out try to shoot at the nearest point of them to the bunker because that is what stays out 100% of the time they are visible, that is, the point at which you will have the most time and the greatest likelihood to hit them. Edges, edges, edges. Say it over and over again and practice it till it's all you think about. From that basis, memorize all the edge points of every bunker at the field, so that you can learn to multitask, meaning that upon every time that you come out to shoot, you immediately shoot at one and upon sight of another player coming out to shoot you, you have paint on him before he can get you..... add on as many as you can to that, practice it, and you'll be able to hold down the entire field and nearly take them out all by yourself.

P

Phoenix

KO: what do you mean "taunt your opponents"? Do you mean like bait them for certain shots?

I only have a 4 tube pack right now. I will see what I can afford in awhile. Since these are all unsponsored teams playing we don't have tons of paint to throw around. I think 4 will be enough (I hope :p ).

Solonor: my teammates all shoot cockers, in one form or another.

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Taunting them as in insulting them verbally to induce them to pop out and shoot at you with something going through their mind other than the game, and focusing on you and the stuff you spew out rather than your teammates that are about to triple bunker them. 4 tubes isn't going to cut it in anything more than a 3man. At least 6 or 7 plus a pod or a football in your hand or cargo pocket is what you'll want. Baiting your opponents can be done by simply shooting at one for a long time while waiting for another one to pop up, shoot him on his way up (again by having memorized all their positions and which side to shoot at, so that within a fraction of a second you have 5-10 balls meeting him in the face), then look for the next to the left or right in the same direction, then sweep back. Quite quickly you'll become adept at multitasking on 3 or 4 guys at once, which will be greatly appreciated by your teammates who can then move more freely and get in some great shots at preoccupied, off, and intimidated opponents.

SYTRAXZ

Sytraxz Graphics inc.
Feb 18, 2002
New York
y not?

y not buy bigger than a 14" barel? u cant buy a bigger back for the freaks so y not just buy the 16" or 18" freak then??????:confused:

Zanester

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Y'all mentioned using a lot of paint as a back player to keep the other team down, to assist your front players move into their bunkers, etc. However, where I play the amount of paint per game is limited. Meaning that you have to be very selective on how you use your paint. At the end of the game it can be worth its weight in gold.

Do y'all have any additional advice on how to play the back without using up a lot of paint. When is it critical to use paint, besides the obvious tagging someone out, and when can the back player save some on paint?

Thanks in advance for the advice!:confused:

Zanester