Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

MQ1 Valve issues

systemx

Peace through superior firepower
Jul 3, 2011
London
Hi all,

Right I have sourced an MQ1 valve from the states which believe it or not is new old stock i.e. Never been used and am looking to fit it however I have come across some issues. The soleniod works fine while it is out of the pilot, but will not actuate when it is fitted inside it??

The solenoid is definitely working as the plunger visibly moves when it's out of the pilot (housing) and if you put your finger on the plunger you can feel it pull in and spring back.

I have tried two different boards both of which are in full working order, along with fresh 9v batteries. It's all complete and I have checked that the parts I have are all correct and not damaged the wiring to the solenoid is all good too.

Any ideas guys as I'm at a loss......

Spydercam

Mar 20, 2016
Germany
spydercampaintball.jimdo.com
Hi,
i own two MQ Valves of 1st Gen. i had to learn too !!!

To set it right put in the Plunger without spring into the soli. Than you should have a spacer Piece which fits through the hole of the orifice plate(i used a nail with a flat head max. 1mm high) and put it in from Plunger side. So now you can put the Pilot spacer (with soli and Plunger) into the Guide Rod Spacer(should have no gap between pilotspacer and guide rod spacer). The orifice plate Need to be set so that your spacer Piece(or a fitting nail) can be twisted but should not have the possibility of moving Forward or backwards so the movement of the Plunger is fine and the Plunger spring got max. power to seal.

May your soli gets pushed from the back cause ... the 4-40 set screw is just strong enough to do her Job against twisting ... hope you understand if not i go try explain better !!! ;)

systemx

Jul 3, 2011
London
Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go but I may need some more help..... lol

systemx

Jul 3, 2011
London
That's great all I need now is a nail the right size!! I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

One question though why does the solenoid appear not to actuate when it's in the spacer? Any ideas?

Spydercam

Mar 20, 2016
Germany
I just can speculate !!!

If you install the MQ(guide rod spacer) like on the pic of the Manual(which is wrong):
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/manuals/PBX Ballistix Lab/mqinstructions13.pdf
than you go push the soli Forward when tighten up the marker end screw(result soli plunger can´t move), cause the set screw 4-40 can´t beat that force. Your soli has to dive into guide rod spacer till to the end, so there are no Forces on the soli when intall in the marker. Hope you understand !?!?!?

If you push booth spacers together with soli inside there should be no gap between them so by tighten up the end marker screw there is no movement possible. The orifice plate just Needs to set right with the help of the nail !!!

Good luck !!!

systemx

Jul 3, 2011
London
Ok I have reset the orofice plate and now the noid actuates when it is in the housing, one question though how much should it move? As I can clearly hear and feel it actuating but can't really see any movement? Is this correct or should I be able to see the plunger move when the trigger is pulled?

I have the correct seal on the front of the plunger it's 1/16'' thick, 90 duro urethane which I managed to source from a local plastics company, at £1 each.

I'm sorry for all the questions I just don't want to strip another cocker down again only to find the MQ is not properly adjusted again!!

Last edited:

Spydercam

Mar 20, 2016
Germany
The movement of the Plunger is enough when you set the orifice plate right with the nail !(Cause of the inside form of the orifice plate seal area) ;)
If you make the movement longer your Plunger spring gets softer so result is your MQ just seals with lower pressure result just work for less fps like here in Germany 214fps is legal max. so as stronger as longer it seals and you go run 280-290 with shim more fps.

No Problems as Long i know something about !!! :)