Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

MS Press/Media Uniform - Is This The Right Answer?

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
The MS already charge a fee to all media personnel, right?

Do the PSP & NPPL require media to pay for and wear a distinctive jersey?

I think not.

Perhaps a jersey with a logo saying "Fcuk My Ass" might be more apporpriate.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
I laughed out loud when I read that ..... it just goes from bad to worse and you think nah, they can't do anything as bad as .... .....and bam, they can ... and do ... frikkin hilarious .. :)

Hmmmm 39 euros - thankyou please !
Thank you Pete for taking the time to reply, I'll just give you a little of the background on this:

We turned out for Paris to be greeted by a hand written notice taped on to a table in the press tent requiring all on-field photographers & videographers to wear hi-vis vests on field. I, however, like many others hadn't made a visit to the tent and, despite having already spoken to Lars, Wendy, Dougie and members of the MS board before obtaining my pass for the season and wristband for the event, wasn't informed of this. It was only by word of mouth, from another photographer looking for a vest, that I was aware of this new requirement. Fortunately, I had enough in my car for myself and those around me that needed one. Others were not so fortunate, the reply given to some who asked where they could obtain one was to take it from their hire cars (a requirement in French law to carry one) although those who had flown in and had no hire car didn't have this option. Hence the rule was not strictly enforced!

However, that is history. Various informal discussions were held with MS staff and board members and our concerns about the use of hi-vis were voiced. This included the effect of bright yellow and orange on the visual impact of final images as well as the effect on both metering and focusing systems. Personally, I have no qualms with the MS identifying the media crew, wristbands and passes aside, many, indeed most, sports organisers do so, amongst other things, this prevents 'chancers' from making it on field by just having a camera in hand.

The choice of the canary yellow as the major colour of the shirts is something that concerns me, it would appear that the MS haven't taken on board the concerns raised, of have decided that bright yellow has a different effect than that of fluorescent yellow/orange. Other sports that have this requirement don't insist on such an obtrusive hue, even in motor sport, identifying bibs/vests yes, but not hi-vis.

I would have thought you might have been consulted on this, seeing as the shirt design carries the EPBF logo, a body I believe you have some involvement in.

As for the cost to photographers/videographers of covering Millennium events, there is no charge, but accreditation is required. Its true, the MS did try to impose a charge, but there was a marked fall off in attendance, especially as the charge coincided with the squeeze on the media and the folding of various titles, that it was dropped after one season.

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
Why a short sleeve jersey for so much ? Surely a tshirt would be cheaper, Its not like the media personnel at the events make a huge amount of money to throw it away on another jersey. Fair enough on not having photographers/videographers wearing team jerseys, but forcing them to buy a jersey is nuts. Professional photographers and cameramen at other sporting events don't get forced to buy specific clothing.

The Millennium needs to sit down with the media peeps and work out a mutually agreed upon set of rules for what can and can not been worn by media personnel. (As is done with other media people attending other sporting and civil events.)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Thank you Pete for taking the time to reply, I'll just give you a little of the background on this:

We turned out for Paris to be greeted by a hand written notice taped on to a table in the press tent requiring all on-field photographers & videographers to wear hi-vis vests on field. I, however, like many others hadn't made a visit to the tent and, despite having already spoken to Lars, Wendy, Dougie and members of the MS board before obtaining my pass for the season and wristband for the event, wasn't informed of this. It was only by word of mouth, from another photographer looking for a vest, that I was aware of this new requirement. Fortunately, I had enough in my car for myself and those around me that needed one. Others were not so fortunate, the reply given to some who asked where they could obtain one was to take it from their hire cars (a requirement in French law to carry one) although those who had flown in and had no hire car didn't have this option. Hence the rule was not strictly enforced!

However, that is history. Various informal discussions were held with MS staff and board members and our concerns about the use of hi-vis were voiced. This included the effect of bright yellow and orange on the visual impact of final images as well as the effect on both metering and focusing systems. Personally, I have no qualms with the MS identifying the media crew, wristbands and passes aside, many, indeed most, sports organisers do so, amongst other things, this prevents 'chancers' from making it on field by just having a camera in hand.

The choice of the canary yellow as the major colour of the shirts is something that concerns me, it would appear that the MS haven't taken on board the concerns raised, of have decided that bright yellow has a different effect than that of fluorescent yellow/orange. Other sports that have this requirement don't insist on such an obtrusive hue, even in motor sport, identifying bibs/vests yes, but not hi-vis.

I would have thought you might have been consulted on this, seeing as the shirt design carries the EPBF logo, a body I believe you have some involvement in.

As for the cost to photographers/videographers of covering Millennium events, there is no charge, but accreditation is required. Its true, the MS did try to impose a charge, but there was a marked fall off in attendance, especially as the charge coincided with the squeeze on the media and the folding of various titles, that it was dropped after one season.
Pete,
this is the deal mate, as I see it anyway; the MS are on thin ice, they have been for a loooong time and whenever something like this comes out, they are always gonna be susceptible to claims of money grabbing.
And so, the last thing they need [you'd think] is another opportunity for people to accuse them on butt-fuhking even more of the people that have done soo much for the Millennium in the past [press & media].

If you are gonna introduce this measure on the basis of players getting confused with cameramen being thought of as players then the one thing you MUST ensure is the jersey you are making people pay for. looks NOTHING like a playing jersey.
..because if it does ... it immediately means it has nothing to do with player confusion and EVERYTHING to do with creating another income stream albeit a minimal one.

Now, after Dave Youngblood's threat to come over to Europe this year and run 3 events had the Millennium guys running around like headless chickens for a few months, you'd think the MS guys would be somewhat tentative in introducing new measures that cost people money .. but oh no... oh no, they carry on their old ways regardless and is it any wonder that people get pissed off.

But for the purposes of a balanced take on things, let's make a somewhat outlandish assumption in thinking this new levy on the press is in fact legitimate .. [hard to grasp I know but please run with it for a minute] - this being the case, you'd think there is no way they would want to create a perception that people were being shafted ... they really don't need another case of this to contend with because it not only pis$es the people off directly concerned wit the new charge [media] it pis$es everybody else off because all it does is cement in other people's minds, the MS are just money grabbing bastaids who care not for anybody but their pockets ....
They have failed everybody not least themselves in introducing this new charge on the press ... it's not been thought through properly and certainly not presented professionally .. it's a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that's seemingly been *******ised to perform an active income stream.

If anybody makes a serious attempt to come over to Europe, then I fear for the MS, I really do, they cannot ever claw back enough respect, fast enough, to facilitate a reasonable defence of their customer base ... the new series will mop up and there isn't anything the MS could do :rolleyes:

I have quite a lot of contact with the MS guys and some of them are mates of mine but it seems when they get together, something happens to them and decisions come out of that bunch that I don't think would come out of any one of them individually.

I don't want foreigners coming over and running our event series, I really don't and I've always wanted the MS to tidy up their act and give the teams and vendors true value for money but it seems they are hell-bent on making things difficult for themselves if and when somebody makes a move to invade Europe .. and by then, it's far too late to do anything I'm afraid.

PBFotoGirl69

Photographer
Apr 21, 2011
Sweden
www.hybrid-foto.com
my 2.5 cents worth

According the email there is also a meeting friday morning att Bitburg for ALL medai with Lars, Ulrich and Barry. Our company was one of those who could not find the vests anywhere due to the fact we had flown in. I was a bit miffed to find out about the vest rule and approached the proper persons to discuss the issue. I asked why such short notice and where do we get the vests/was mille going to provide them. The anwser I got was "not their problem" and "no millenium doesnt provide these for anyone". Lucky for Pete and a few other of his friends that could find them. We were given a stay of execution for the day and given the chance to go and find one in the town shops. Directly after the day's play was over we began our search for the offending vests. We had no luck and I searched out Ulrich at our hotel and explained the problem to him. Due to the situation and timeframe we compromised the turning of our company jerseys wrong side out when on the field. We had made through our sponsor (like many others) a jersey for us to wear to all the events that we are involved with. I had sent a photo of our jersey to Lars before Longchamps and nothing was ever said so we proceeded with the production. We even included the Mille logo as we are an official media partner now. If anyone wants to b*tch about the short sleeve jersey idea then complain to me as it was a suggested solution to the problem at hand. I however am not responsible for the color or design. We sat down with Lars (my company and I and Ole was around a bit when we made the suggestion) For me the jersey is basically something I have to have in order to do the job at hand for the magazines and media we work in cooperation with not to mention our sponsors such as Eclipse. If Mille is making money off the jerseys I don’t know, don’t care....its business and its none of mine. For us it’s a business expense and hell of a lot better than paying for access - paid 150€ for Disney World cup last year. As Pete and others mentioned every media covered sport in the world requires some sort of press recognition and identification.

What seems strange is that no one has posted why this decision was made in the first place. What I was told when I protested the vest was that during last year's Paris event a team lost out going to finals or finals (can’t remember which) when they shot a photographer wearing an actual team jersey (the team the jersey came from was not playing against the team that filed a formal complaint with MS) thinking he/she was a player on the field (photographer was just inside the boundary line) but to this hasty mistake, missed the actual live player and was eliminated.(for me this just seems like a blame someone else because we lost thing) The problem I have most with the vest/jersey issue is IF this happened in Disney why wait five months to make this decision instead of 12hrs BEFORE the opening event?

The issue of photographers wearing actual team jerseys (dynasty, United, RL) for me was wrong from the get go, however a company jersey such as ours, from a company that does not play events when we work, that is in distinguishable colors and such, well I don’t know the problem there. If I get a little bit of extra love from a player then that is my fault and risk I take when going on to the field to take photos or film. In the past I have had always had some sort of t-shirt or jersey from the magazines that I worked for gave us were white with their own designs (such as the late PB2X magazine). I have always received short sleeved jerseys as well. I cannot and will not even begin to say that I speak on behalf of the other photographers involved in the Millennium Series, but to have a short sleeved jersey for us is comfortable when it comes to taking photos. We (meaning my partners and I) are on the field much longer than the players (meaning that we don’t take breaks very often so that we don’t miss the action) A typical day will be nearly 12hrs on the field....we may take maybe 2 or 3 breaks during the day. And before anyone says or asks this - THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT MILLENNIUM SAYS WE HAVE TO DO - this is sometime we choose to do. This is our full time job and we give it all we have. This why we come home with more than 20k photos as well to help our “customers” and the sport.
The photo that was included in the email was meant (or so it seems) to prove the point from a player/team’s point of view. I and many others that have read the posts and saw the photo upon a quick glance would have also lit this photographer up mistaking him for a player.
I was told about an incident at Longchamps where a photographer with media pass and all access was helping a team pit, coach and move from one field to another PLUS go on the field and take photos.. Said photographer was wearing an actual team jersey. I don’t believe this infraction was caught until the end of the weekend due to the fact that they looked if they were a player not a photographer.
I think that having a mandatory meeting at the opening event of the season and at the end of the season via Skype –email or private MS Media forum) may help the media grow and these types of issues become a thing of the past. Maybe even adopting a formal set of rules that we the media have a hand in creating would be an idea to be included in the MS rules???
Whether I like it or not I will conform with the rules set before me. As a professional photographer in the sporting arena I will adapt to what is necessary to do my job. My partners and I support the Millennium Series’ decision on the use of the jersey. For some its only 39€, for my company it will be nearly 200€. It’s a business expense that is necessary. For those who say boycott, unfortunately you may be stuck on the sidelines outside of the netting taking photos or filming. AND before anyone comes in and says I am taking the MS side or kissing arse – which I am not. I have to adapt to my work environment.
Unfortunately my 2.5 cents turned into about 25€ :p

Robbo- LONG TIME NOOOOO Talk  You going to be in Bitburg? If so and you have time let’s take a pint and chat 

Blue Beanie

I <3 Summer!!!!!
Dec 27, 2009
Devon
how about if like the ref tops the millennium just bought a load of these or something similar and lent them to the photographers who turn up.

Reactions: jakob