Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Need Acid

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
excuse my ignorance but looking at the photo its seems a lot like electroplating (sp) is taht the case or whats the process:confused:

sorry probably not the most straightforward of questions :)

Strawb

Platinum Member
May 8, 2005
Worcester
Visit site
Just a + and -.

+ to the piece being anodised and - to the 2 lead plated suspended in the acid (a safe distance from the cocker body otherwise it scraps it :eek: )

I use a small 12v (think it's 1A) power that came with the anodising kit (they were on ebay last year no idea if they still sell them), it has a 12v lamp to limit the current to the part.

Anodising it the formation of a layer of aluminium oxide that has small cavities which is what accepts the dye.

I'll dig out a link when i get home that shows exactly what's involved.

Demonic69

I Created a Mocka!!!
May 21, 2005
Barnsley, UK
Visit site
I'm gonna use a cooler box and a 350W PC PSU I think. Or a car charger, not sure which is better.
I remember seeing the kits aaaaages ago, can't find any cheap in the UK now.

Ahdinko

Team Apocalypse.
Jun 12, 2006
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Dskize said:
excuse my ignorance but looking at the photo its seems a lot like electroplating (sp) is taht the case or whats the process:confused:

sorry probably not the most straightforward of questions :)
It looks like it, but I've never done it myself, although I've done electroplating and electrolysis to death in Chemistry and Physics. Always been taught that the lower charge going through it, the longer it takes, but the better quality plating you get.

I guess since its called annodising, the part you are colouring is the anode, and in that picture that other random piece of metal is the cathode.

Demonic69

I Created a Mocka!!!
May 21, 2005
Barnsley, UK
Visit site
Colder, slower or higher current Anodizing is hard anodizing, tough to get right apparently and not needed on markers.
I think I'm gonna go with bike battery acid (Cheers Dan, Paul at Manhattans was helpful as always).
If anyone had some scrap aluminium they wanna chuck my way let me know.
Hopefuly once all my bits have sold and I'ev paid Deano for the lost angel I can get going

Strawb

Platinum Member
May 8, 2005
Worcester
Visit site
http://www.caswellplating.com/

There's a really good pdf on there somewhere that explains the process and advises on current and such.

Just remember not to put your head over the tank whilst or after anodising as some horible smelling gas is produced (think it's chlorine), wear rubber gloves and have plenty of clean water around you to wash acid off yourself or anything else quickly if needed.

Oh and black is a bitch to get right.