Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Need some help!

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
Damn Vimto, 30000 words? That sounds like a MA course...

Stephen, one thing I think you missed out on is the fact that someone actually has to give a toss about the competitive side to start off with. If you've got someone who has all of the ablilty of the 'perfect' paintball player, but doesn't care if he/she loses, the amount of comittment to moves, communication, gunflighting, preparation etc is all going to be a moot point. But, if you've got a player who will happily rip someone's guts out to get on the team and is a gutsy little f**ker, the likeihood is that that person will be more useful to a team, and could inherently make those crazy, game-winning moves. Perhaps if we could have your dissertation title/synopsis we'd be able to point out more things or cite reference sources? Also, Missy Q seems to know his (or her, I don't acutally know, so I'll stick with him) stuff. All of his posts seem well-written and intellegent.

On a completely different note, I'm now very glad that my final year "dissertation" project only contains a 20 minute documentary and a 4500 word report/production file.

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
Damn Vimto, 30000 words? That sounds like a MA course...

Stephen, one thing I think you missed out on is the fact that someone actually has to give a toss about the competitive side to start off with. If you've got someone who has all of the ablilty of the 'perfect' paintball player, but doesn't care if he/she loses, the amount of comittment to moves, communication, gunflighting, preparation etc is all going to be a moot point. But, if you've got a player who will happily rip someone's guts out to get on the team and is a gutsy little f**ker, the likeihood is that that person will be more useful to a team, and could inherently make those crazy, game-winning moves. Perhaps if we could have your dissertation title/synopsis we'd be able to point out more things or cite reference sources? Also, Missy Q seems to know his (or her, I don't acutally know, so I'll stick with him) stuff. All of his posts seem well-written and intellegent.

On a completely different note, I'm now very glad that my final year "dissertation" project only contains a 20 minute documentary and a 4500 word report/production file.
You do raise some valid and interesting points. First I would like straighten out the fact that although I may have come across as being a bit hostile, it was not intended that way, and I do understand the points that Missy-Q raised and I know the general nature of his comments, and nothing was taken in offence on my end, and I hope it wasn't received that way on his end! After all, we are a very small community (relatively speaking) and need to stick together to help grow and promote the sport in the best way possible :) And I didn't for one second doubt the intelligence of Missy-Q, i'm sure they would be able to put me in my place!

Second, although what you're saying is spot on, that you do need the drive and commitment before anything, the idea of a performance profile is just specifically to look at the skills needed and to get a bit of self-report from individuals. Thuis is why I'm working with an already well-grounded team, who have a roster of players who are committed and undoubtedly have the drive within the sport! A second part of this that I probably should have mentioned is that the team will also fill out a similar toll to this, which they will come up with qualities and skills that the team need, which therefore give them a lot more freedom to include what they feel to be important contributory factors to a teams success.

And yes, after hearing about that monster of a 30,000 word report, I feel that I have got of very lightly in my final year with a mere 5000 words!

lemonadeX

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2006
(near) Southampton
Is it OK if I answer these in order?
Great.

1. Awesome. No, you're dead right.
2. Hemhem. I gave input. You didn't thank me. In fact, you got kinda arsey.
3. For my own amusement. I saw a thread that comes up every. single. year. I decided to ask whether anyone ever heard back from the students 'helped' in the past. I can ask that if I want to. I am the boss of me.
The validity of the dissertation topic is between him and the supervising lecturer, and considering that the results of the report wont emerge until many months after others posted on here for help, it's not surprising that you don't see people thanking the community, regardless of how well they did. All of your posts in this thread have been negative and condescending, helping in no other way than to persuade people against writing about this field. Yeah good job.

Anyway sorry for being another to jack the thread, good luck with your dissertation Stephen, sounds like it could be pretty interesting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
The validity of the dissertation topic is between him and the supervising lecturer, and considering that the results of the report wont emerge until many months after others posted on here for help, it's not surprising that you don't see people thanking the community, regardless of how well they did. All of your posts in this thread have been negative and condescending, helping in no other way than to persuade people against writing about this field. Yeah good job.

Anyway sorry for being another to jack the thread, good luck with your dissertation Stephen, sounds like it could be pretty interesting!

Last edited:

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
I'd really like to know who the "pro player that gave advice" was.

Always be careful when someone describes themselves as a pro player - it could just be someone who has pinched Shelley Farmer's knickers off her washing line. And then played a customer day in them.

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
I'd really like to know who the "pro player that gave advice" was.

Always be careful when someone describes themselves as a pro player - it could just be someone who has pinched Shelley Farmer's knickers off her washing line. And then played a customer day in them.
It was someone I approached who didn't describe themselves as a pro, but who I and many others would regards as a professional, and who helped out one of the teams I'm working with at one of the millennium events last year. But yes I can see what you're saying, and I'm sure there are those people who would pass themselves of as a 'pro' to others.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY

Suck it