Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New 15bps ramping rule

Oct 5, 2002
Sauf Koast
Great,this just means even less playing time for our money! 14 guns going at 15bps, i give each game less than two minutes length max if this rule comes in to play. Great for organisers! poop for us.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
So how does that compare to seven guns going 11bps and seven others going 25bps?

Originally posted by lettucecheesecake
Great,this just means even less playing time for our money! 14 guns going at 15bps, i give each game less than two minutes length max if this rule comes in to play. Great for organisers! poop for us.
'Cause I saw plenty of that last season. And we were lucky--in the midst of moaning, threats, spectator pressure, delayed schedules and the most incredible set of excuses imaginable--to catch any of the demon-possessed guns. And when we did it felt like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

Have the new rules changed NXL substantially after three tournaments? I'd like to hear from those guys, Boogie and the other NXL refs. It looked to me like it has slowed the game down just a tad. At least it didn't seem to speed up each round to me.

I could be wrong but I don't think it will be found to have changed the game significantly. It will not be any less a game of communication skills, team harmony, runnin' n gunnin', confidence in equipment, game planning, perfect timing, blasé, blasé.

An even, level playing field is all we're looking for.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Yeah! All you're gonna get is people sat behind their bunkers shooting 15 bps... oh and 15 bps muggings..... In the head!
Why not just make the cheat boards illegal to use and enforce semi only??:confused:

:rolleyes:

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Besides...do peepz go to major tournaments for playing time? I thought one went to tournaments to win? If I'm going to win I'd personally rather do it in a short period of time compared to a longer. Ditto losing.

If we play multiple-point games (like XBall) rather than the traditional short-games that guarantees a certain amount of time on-field.

Otherwise, if it's playing-time you're lookng for, I highly recommend team practices, walk-on days, scenario games and recball.

Lettuce...

average game time is around 3 to 4 minutes for 7 man these days... working from PA statistics but I imagine they'll average pretty much the same across all events...

so the pendulum has swung from 15bps means teams will just sit back hoofing pot after pot of paint at each other for 10 minutes to 15bps means games will be over even quicker

yet the people who have actually experienced paintball at 15bps have already said it makes little, if any difference to game play.

I've yet to see a game where all 14 players constantly fire their guns flat out for the entire duration of the game. In fact I'd have been ecstatic last season if I could have got just three of my guys to do just that...

I know it's already been said (by Mr. Collier I think... apologies if it wasn't) but I agree with the comment that what will have a more significant impact will be having 35+ bunkers on a 7 man field.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
I have been reding this thread for a while now, and would like to ask a few questions, and make a few points.

Firstly, employing the 15bps cap/selected ramp allowed to combat gun cheats would imply that the PA had a huge problem with ramping guns last season. Did it? Russ or Hatts, what percentage of players do you think had cheat modes on their guns?

The only reason that the NXL went 15bps full auto was because the MAJORITY of players on the NXL teams were using guns with cheat modes on them. At that stage, control was impossible, so limitations were introduced.

I sincerely doubt that enough players in the PA or any UK teams have cheat modes on their guns. Manufacturers put cheat modes on guns in order to assist teams to win and gain exposure for the company. There is not enough prestige in winning ANY event in the UK to warrant the manufacturer taking such a risk and giving certain teams cheat modes on their guns. Similarly players from any old team are not able to waltz into WDP, Planet, National etc... and ask for cheat modes to put on their guns to increase their rates of fire/velocity ramping. They would get laughed out of the shop.

Also, people citing the NXL as an example of the 15bps cap on their guns as not slowing/speeding up games is not applicable in comparrison with UK balling. Saying that there has been no difference in the NXL is pointless. Players in the NXL are used to guns ramping and firing 18-22-25-?? bps at them, slowing that down to 15 will make little difference. Also players on the NXL teams have the gun fighting skills, experience of fast guns and field movement to be able to play in a 15bps arena and it not affect their skills/game play.

I do not think that there are many people who can sustain 15bps in the UK, and playing in games where everyone is firing 15bps will result in many players literally hiding behind their barricades, as they do not have the experience to know how to deal with that kind of consistently sustained volume of paint. Trying to cite teams like Trauma and NYX as compared to Birmingham ?? and Manchester ?? is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Do i think it is a bad thing the 15bps? I do not know, but i certainly do not think that implementing it as a result of a decision to combat gun cheats as justification enough, when those gun cheats simply do not exist in the UK at the moment.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Originally posted by sjt19
Similarly players from any old team are not able to waltz into WDP, Planet, National etc... and ask for cheat modes to put on their guns to increase their rates of fire/velocity ramping. They would get laughed out of the shop.
But teams do who have access to such software. Doesn't mean they'll use it of course.....

Manufacturers dont include cheat modes (selectable) on the standard guns but they definately include ramping as standard...

Players dont need to go in to a shop and ask for ramping modes, the ability to do it is already in the gun.

In many cases the gun ramps out of the box. In others (where the manuacturer is more worried about liability for injury) the ramping is very easily enabled and adjusted using the guns own interface.

Originally posted by sjt19
when those gun cheats simply do not exist in the UK at the moment.
Regardless of your personal opinion of the UK tournament scene
these guns do exist and they are in the UK. We're simply trying to do something about it before it becomes a problem rather than after and in such a way that players, event organisers, refs and manufacturers all benefit.