New ramp limit !

Leave it at 15 bps or reduce to 12 bps

Votes: 195 76.2%

Votes: 61 23.8%

• Total voters

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Hi Guys,

As the person who in fact introduced ramping to the world may I first say some of the reasons why I felt we had to allow it?
If you have shot an electronic paintball gun in the last three years, it is doubtful if you shot in a recognised semi mode.
And if you asked anyone how fast they shot they would show you the read out on their gun saying 24bps - and they believed it.
The truth is all guns add shots be it mechanically or electronically, and because of that we had a choice, cap all guns to a rate of fire that everyone said they was already achieving and allow them to get to that rate in such a way that other aids would not be of any benefit.
Or leave the problem to continue (as it was) where the so called best teams all had cheats and everyone knew it but could do sod all about it, as it is in the NPPL.
At the PSP word Cup in 2004 we had two very high level teams on our field and after a few games it became apparent that both teams had a bit of help courtesy I think of special software from their friends, hell even the opposing team players was shouting the refs to “check his gun”.
I got both captains together along with the team coach’s and told them all that I knew they were, along with their team-mates using cheating guns, I knew it, my refs knew it, and so did most of the audience.
I explained that I also knew it would be difficult for me to find the assistance that the gun was giving them but since everyone knew it why not agree none of them would use it………..
I have a good understanding with team’s insomuch I do not want to be a complete arsehole with them and they know that so one of the captains said to the other “I will stop my guys if you will do the same” both agreed and a great game ensued with no obvious cheats on show.
The point of that little story is they were only cheating because they thought/knew the other team would be doing it, so they would have to…….
And that’s my point if you think your opposite is having a help you will find it yourself.
So I wanted to give it to everyone, we picked the cap because the National X-Ball League in the States had already introduced the cap limit (even if it was also full auto)
I found a device that would work with us to help police it; we even have radar guns available now so the guns can be checked from the side of the field.
If you cheat, you will not gain that much of an advantage and we can tell a lot easier if it is not doing the same as all the others on field.
Like all good ideas it was simple, but people like to mess about with other peoples ideas so they can claim a little bit of glory for themselves and as expected that happened.
However the essence of the solution remained even if they had made a very simple rule that could have been explained in two or three sentences take up a few pages in most rulebooks.
The worst corruption of the rule is by the Millennium Series who have changed the rate where the ramp starts because and I quote, “it is harder to achieve off handed so it makes the game flow” all that will happen now is players will have cheats in place so they can shoot with the assistance of ramp offhanded – and they will not get caught.
The reason we went down this path is so players won’t cheat, so it must be easy for everyone to get to the assist mode.

If you wanted to “make the game flow” has they have put it, I think they mean encourage movement in the inadequate teams because the ones who can play don’t seem to have much bother in getting where they need to be.
The solution is again very simple – reduce the cap limit, make the limit twelve balls per second and that would achieve what they are claiming they want and also not let anyone with connections have any advantage.
What do you think: do we reduce the rate of fire cap (worldwide) or leave as is?
If the consensus of opinions is a cap reduction I will get in touch with the people can make the change with me and get it done.

Russ
UK-Refs

DANIEL

Jun 25, 2002
At the top.
Visit site
I think 15 BPS is fine and I've not had any trouble getting the ramp to kick in on millenium mode with either hand.

I don't find much difference between PSP and Millenium mode.

if it's not broke don't fix it.

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
Given that most Tournaments have tried to counter-act the introduction of Ramping by throwing hundreds of bunkers on the field, I would like to see a reduced limit of 12bps.

You can still lock a lane very effectively @ 12bps - you just have to be a little better at doing it, which will open the field up to more movement.

Millennium 7-man games (since the introduction of Ramp) have slowed to point of "break out, wait til you have a couple of bodies up, then move" and frankly, it's dull.

Even the CPL has slower games in comparision to the EXL/Open-X days of 2004.

Reduce the limit, speed the game up.