Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New Site in south west

Seamus Joyce

Jul 2, 2012
hey guys a little bit of a brain picker and just want the community to give some feed back if that's all ok. A very good friend of mine is opening a indoor field and wants to know where and if people in the south west would be interested and if any teams are in that area that would use or try it out or anything like prices and what people would want from such a place. I have given him my best advice but it's you guys that play regular that are the best advice I can pass onto him thanks all

Seamus Joyce

Jul 2, 2012
He is just outside Plymouth and he has sup air field already just want to know the need for it around the south west and any other hints and tips that I can give him

bbarathy

boBToo
Jul 3, 2006
Somerset UK
I can ask around and see if any teams would be interested. There aren't a huge number of teams in the SW at the moment but a centre that can offer all-year-round training facilities would be a big bonus. Questions I would ask is prices?, BYO paint allowed?, facilities for setting up/food/ open or closed training days? and are air fills available?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I
He is just outside Plymouth and he has sup air field
I honestly think having an up to date field will be a big plus
With a tournament sup air field it is necessary to keep it up to date (both annual bunker updates and regular layout changes)
This will also require a 'regulation' sized room to allow for the layout dimensions

If the layout is not right then it won't attract teams and keep them coming back for training

The surface is just as important - indoors will need some form of safensurface to allow the snake players etc to dive and slide (and all types of players will require a safe, non slip surface that they won't end up falling on their back)

Any health & safety mitigations on the player (don't run etc) will kill tournament training

I Questions I would ask is prices?, BYO paint allowed?, facilities for setting up/food/ open or closed training days? and are air fills available?
Prices & byo will be key to the regular player
As with all sites there will have to be a two or three tier pricing structure:
1) punter rate for the average public - essential customer base for any site, particularly an indoor site which will have full business rates and greater maintenance costs
2) a 'club' rate for regular punters
3) a walkon rate
If byo is to be allowed (tournament teams will either want to or have to use specific paint brands) the green fee will need to be balanced to allow money to be made. Eg if the average walkon green fee of £25 per head was used and a tournament room was used by 10 people doing some 5man training then that is a fixed income of £250 for at least a morning / afternoon, probably a day. Double that if there were more people / teams rotating.
But you have the most demanding customer who will use up the most space in a staging area, demand ongoing costs (keeping bunkers up to date, laying them out, cleaning them etc) and being the least profitable customer
At least if site paint is used then it's still an income to the site while they shoot (even if ordered in to meet their preference)

Other facilities - setting up / staging, food, electricity etc
Staging areas are obviously essential - have multiple rooms for all the potential groups (depending on number of playing areas etc
Punters and walkons have different needs, but essentially benches, some chairs, and lockers for valuables
Food is essential - and is another side area for income, fair but profitable prices for cooked food and snacks
Electricity is an easy benefit for an indoor site - some sockets in staging rooms allow some to plug in phones etc, (and to add value to punter parties with the ability to add music/video to make them stay longer / have a full party etc)
more sockets at benches makes it easier to plug in phones and makes more customers happy
Electricity comes at a cost, both just the supply kWh cost, and the capacity cost of ensuring the building can cope - especially in winter if electric heaters are added to certain rooms

Cover the site in cctv, both for security and for 'customer experience' - put screens in staging areas and parents can watch their kids play
You need the ability to switch screens to any playing room - but not the ability for parents to put on the site security store rooms, shop etc (it's good to let them see you have security cameras but don't want to show them all the things they can steal)

Air fills:
It is almost essential that any new site runs a compressed air system and not co2
Co2 has a much cheaper setup cost, but limits the site to punters only
Scuba cylinders can be brought in for air fills but very quickly drop in pressure and are not sustainable

Diversity:
Get a balance between offering multiple activities for the punters and not being over diverse (having too many different activities with different costs)
Eg .50 splatmaster, laser tag, airsoft
.50 paintbal (if establishing the site this will cut set up costs on equipment and storage space)
.68 paintball alongside .50 would be a cost doubler, but if you want walkons then you need to be able to provide .68 paint and some rental gear

Reactions: bbarathy

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
For security, as well as the cctv mentioned above consider the sites buildings, where the site is located etc

CCTV/alarms will have to be active - when the site is closed will it call out the owner or a security service? Will it cost for false alarms/is the owner miles away etc

How will buildings be secured? If multiple buildings then some can happily be less secure if it's just rooms with structures inside, but if the supair field is there then it's highly stealable and valuable
Gear needs to be very secure - if to be removed then that comes with logistics and whether it realy will be taken off site all the time (eg bookings all weekend so you decide not to shift all the gear late on Saturday just to bring it back early Sunday - then you get robbed and the insurance won't pay out because you left ot behind contrary to the motivations you stated)
If the site is remote in the country then it's out of sight and there are less passing opportunists, but it will become known that a business exists and it will be out of sight from passing witnesses and burglars could be in and out long before the security can turn up

If urban then the costs of existing are higher for rent and rates, there are more passing opportunists looking for places to burgle, but there are also more places to rob and security response times are faster