Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New size paintballs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Ain't it funny how Hellfire breaks when dropped from chest height, but comes out of your gun in one piece, or sometimes just bounces off people?
BINGO!

That's because when it hits a flat, solid object on one point of the shell, it deforms and breaks.

Accelerate it with even pressure over a full hemisphere of the paintball however....

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Now sorry Boss - you are generalising
We are looking here at that 10% (approx) of balls that impact in such away to cause bruising. As seasoned ballers we do not really care, but consider the first thing that you hear when you listen to a "public" conversation about paintball and the 2 words that you hear are "hurts" and "bruises".
If the change of paintball increases the severity of the bruising or % of balls that can cause bruising then we have an issue. Parents, especially in the UK, do not like seeing their kids with bruises
Generalising? How so?
I'm doing quite the opposite. I'm saying that what a paintball does on impact is decided by a lot of random factors. That is all. I just gave a few examples of the almost infinite number of different scenarios that could apply to a paintball hitting its target.

As far as the rest of your post, I agree. But we don't know if the new balls will bruise more or less. Or even if they were to cause more bruising, would the increase be noticed by Joe Public. (for example, if the "bounce factor" would go up from 1 in 10 to 1 in 9, just to throw in some random numbers)

Too many things we don't know about the new paintballs. All we can do is make a guess, not even an educated guess.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Well, since the force applied by the gas expelled through the bolt is far greater than that applied by the bolt*, which one do you think I mean? :)
I know what you meant, I just wanted you to put it clearly in writing.

Because you are claiming that the paintball is only deformed the moment it is fired, and not shortly thereafter, and the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the two is a small percentage of force. That makes no sense.

The moment it's fired, there is increased pressure over the back half of the ball that gradually decreases as the paintball moves down the barrel. And if a paintball fired at 280 fps deforms the moment it is fired, then a paintball fired at 300 fps will be deformed after the moment it is fired, as it will be under the same forces.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
An even force applied to the entire surface of a perfect sphere most certainly deforms! This is the exact principle on which the atomic bomb is based!
You have that backwards. The fact that an even force applied to the entire surface of a sphere causes NO DEFORMATION is the principle on which the atomic bomb is based. It does cause COMPRESSION, but the form (a sphere) is maintained, at least until your get fusion and it blows up into little bits.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Smaller ball does not mean bigger brusies.

Kingman .43 cal fires at 2 joules (normal paintball guns fire at 10 joules), I have shot myself with the kingman training and there was not a brusie just a red mark which was gone in a couple of days. So if the ball size changes and they change the joule output then problem solved.
That is correct, but that 2 joule .43 cal paintball performs far less well than the .68 caliber paintball. It is claimed that the .50 cal paintballs will perform better. To do that requires about the same density or more, which will hurt more.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
You have that backwards. The fact that an even force applied to the entire surface of a sphere causes NO DEFORMATION is the principle on which the atomic bomb is based. It does cause COMPRESSION, but the form (a sphere) is maintained, at least until your get fusion and it blows up into little bits.
Just so you understand: Compression and deformation is based on the same principle.

Now, since this thread is just going round in circles, with many facts and half-facts as well as crap getting thrown around, I'm closing this one. (if only so I don't go on a murder spree)

End result: Chris is saying it can't be done. I'm saying it might be done. Richmond says it will be done. Happy?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
But would the proposed higher velocities used means the ball deforms more or less when accelerated?

If forces increase then so will deformation experienced if that force increase is applied in the same circumstances.

One other thing re this thread and for the more scientific in our forum community, it might serve us well to formalise all components of a paintball being fired in terms of forces.

For the sake of Chris (Chicago) I'll go medieval physics on yer ass and formalise a typical paintball being fired.

Firstly, we would all agree we live in a universe whereby the law of conservation is upheld, OK Chris ... you live in this universe??
Cool, glad to hear it mate ....

Let's first of all set out all the forces [energy] inside the barrel that come into play when a paintball is fired:-

We have the force of the expanding gas behind the paintball.
We have the inertial mass of paintball.
We have the frictional forces associated with a paintball in a barrel.

Both frictional and inertial forces will be apparent and active in the opposite direction to the expansion force of the gas.

We know that force = mass x acceleration but we need to understand exactly how all the forces interact and transform from the point of pulling that trigger.

We can for the sake of this example forget the energy loss due to temperature rise and sound energy loss and focus upon the major energy issues of gas expansion, acceleration of paintball and ........... deformation??

I put question marks after the word 'deformation' for Chris and no other...well, no other who possess a brain that harbours a basic knowledge of Newtonian and Boyleian physics.

As soon as the trigger is pulled and the gas is allowed to expand in the breech, the pressure (force) behind the paintball will exert its influence on the back face of the paintball.

Initially, the paintball will not move because of its inertial mass and the effect of friction which can be thought of as a force in the opposite direction to the force of pressure.

Once the gas pressure [force] has built up to a point where it equals that of the frictional force in the opposite direction and that of the inertial force of the paintball itself, any further increase in pressure will begin to accelerate the paintball forward.
This rate of acceleration will be dependent upon the forces already mentioned, that of the pressure, the inertial and frictional forces of the paintball.

We can effectively ignore the energy transformations to heat and sound and we can concentrate on looking at the force on the back-face of the paintball.
As the pressure increases to its maximum, we can consider the force being experienced on that back-face of the paintball.
To get an idea of the nature of this force, or rather a handle on its magnitude, we have to acknowledge that it will accelerate this paintball to something approaching 200 mph and launch the frikkin thing something approaching 80 meters (wind and trajectory permitting).

And so, when we look at that maximum force being applied to the back of that paintball, we get some idea of its order of magnitude.

If we now consider the following, if that paintball was a perfect fit in the barrel, and that same paintball was artificially stuck fast so it couldn't be moved, we can easily imagine that maximum force of the pressurized gas being bought to bear on that back face, I know it's not like this in practice but that's not the point here.
The point is, this force will tend to deform the back face of the paintball because the front face has no such pressurising force and it is this differential that is the reason this back face tends toward deformation.

In this situation, it's hardly surprising the back-face is gonna tend toward deformation when the ball is stuck fast.
If you think about, we have that maximum force being applied to the back face and the only thing countering that force is the integrity of the back-face structure of that paintball.
If we now allow the ball to become unstuck, it will begin to accelerate away down the barrel but this ability to move does NOT negate the fact that back-face tended toward deformation, all it does is raise a question to the degree of deformation and how long that back-face experienced that deforming force.

Chris is suggesting there is no such deforming force (and therefore no deformation) which is absurd and insults everybody who has a basic knowledge of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.