Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New to Paintball, Need some advice!

DonBossi

Mar 4, 2021
I spent a lot of time reading through all the newbie advice posts on here both regarding playing and buying / selling kit, what to get first and most importantly (mask) and so on.

I then joined some of the Facebook groups and asked questions. I found everyone has been really friendly and helpful. Facebook tends to be busier with the chat aspect which is a shame as forums are much easier to navigate and find info about particular topics in one place. Both have their advantages.

I last played a rental about 15 years ago and have just got kit together here and there throughout the lockdown. Even though I'm still waiting to get to my first walk on, I can't wait. I picked up an Emek new and then a load of other kit on the sales pages, where you'll find plenty of bargains. You don't need to spend a fortune to get started with if you don't want to.

If you haven't yet got kit together but want to get started with a walk on, it might be worth seeing if your local one will lend you the kit included in the walk on fee, which is something Mayhem in Essex have just started pushing and is I think a really good idea.

Alexxxx

Mar 11, 2021
I spent a lot of time reading through all the newbie advice posts on here both regarding playing and buying / selling kit, what to get first and most importantly (mask) and so on.

I then joined some of the Facebook groups and asked questions. I found everyone has been really friendly and helpful. Facebook tends to be busier with the chat aspect which is a shame as forums are much easier to navigate and find info about particular topics in one place. Both have their advantages.

I last played a rental about 15 years ago and have just got kit together here and there throughout the lockdown. Even though I'm still waiting to get to my first walk on, I can't wait. I picked up an Emek new and then a load of other kit on the sales pages, where you'll find plenty of bargains. You don't need to spend a fortune to get started with if you don't want to.

If you haven't yet got kit together but want to get started with a walk on, it might be worth seeing if your local one will lend you the kit included in the walk on fee, which is something Mayhem in Essex have just started pushing and is I think a really good idea.
Thank you, Ive emailed a couple of places in my local area and im thinking of doing a rental day and then a walkon day and then if i enjoy it get my own kit. That is very helpful about the Mayhem place and ill definitely look more into that.

When/If I buy my own kit, what are the most important things to buy first? Im guessing a Mask like you said and then is it a marker? Ive researched into Dye masks and they look very good.

DonBossi

Mar 4, 2021
Thank you, Ive emailed a couple of places in my local area and im thinking of doing a rental day and then a walkon day and then if i enjoy it get my own kit. That is very helpful about the Mayhem place and ill definitely look more into that.

When/If I buy my own kit, what are the most important things to buy first? Im guessing a Mask like you said and then is it a marker? Ive researched into Dye masks and they look very good.
If you have a read through the newbie advice threads on here you'll see a mask is always recommended as the most important thing to get first. Even if you still borrow kit or play rentals first, having your own mask which fits nicely and is a higher quality than the well used rentals will be a plus.

Dye are popular and the I5 is one of the more higher end goggle. There's a couple advertised on Facebook around £80-£90 at the moment.

I've just seen Super5ives have the Empire EVS on sale at £70 new, which is a great price. If I didn't already have 2 masks I'd be very tempted:

Reactions: ant290

Alexxxx

Mar 11, 2021
If you have a read through the newbie advice threads on here you'll see a mask is always recommended as the most important thing to get first. Even if you still borrow kit or play rentals first, having your own mask which fits nicely and is a higher quality than the well used rentals will be a plus.

Dye are popular and the I5 is one of the more higher end goggle. There's a couple advertised on Facebook around £80-£90 at the moment.

I've just seen Super5ives have the Empire EVS on sale at £70 new, which is a great price. If I didn't already have 2 masks I'd be very tempted:

ah okay thank you. Ill see how my rental day goes then Ill look into buying a mask! I thought they would be much more than that. Thanks again.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
ah okay thank you. Ill see how my rental day goes then Ill look into buying a mask! I thought they would be much more than that. Thanks again.
You can get masks for good prices.

The equivalent to a rental mask, with hard plastic etc will cost around £30 - £40
These are perfectly fine if they fit you, are much better when you buy new to you compared to a rental set that’s been worn by everyone before you and had lost any anti fog coating since every one has been scratching the lens. Make sure to get a set with a dual pane lens etc

But spend some more and you get ‘value added’ premium features such as soft rubber material, a better profile / design and much more choice in lenses. They still need to fit right for you.
These clearly cost more, and if you have a fat wallet can easily cost up to £200
But they don’t have to cost that much, shop around and you can find deals such as Super5ives EVS or special edition colours drastically dropping in price once they are no longer the newest thing in fashion

Lenses should be looked after, but it may be just worth buying a fresh new set of goggles instead of the lens.

The Dead Dodo

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2008
cornwall

Masks are again down to personal preference and fit. If attending a walk on it maybe worth asking if people have any spare masks they aren't wearing and try on for comfort (all covid depending as well).
Dye masks are very popular but generally quite small sonic you have a large fave/head you may feel a little exposed.
JT produce some great masks as well, with the flex versions style not having changed for decades. If it's not broke don't fix it.
My personal choice are Vforce Grills. For me these fit me, light, comfortable and good field of vision. Downside is the dip on the forehead without a peak. I also like the larger Virtue Vios as well for comfort and vision.
What ever it.comes to, worth buy a good quality mask!

After Mask I would say some playing gear. Trousers, jersey etc. If you can attend some good walk one and speak to people they'll often let you have a play with a marker. Try and find what you like the feel off. Again you don't want to buy something and then find you don't like it or wish you'd spent a little more.

If you buy a marker don't forget about the additional costs that come with it. As you'll need a bottle and hopper as well!

Hope this helps :)

James ECI

UK Woodland Masters
Jul 31, 2007
Kent
Id add to this, chech out how much replacement lens cost - they range hugely £25 - £50

If you end up loving your first goggles you dont want to pay out loads for different lenses

Alexxxx

Mar 11, 2021
You can get masks for good prices.

The equivalent to a rental mask, with hard plastic etc will cost around £30 - £40
These are perfectly fine if they fit you, are much better when you buy new to you compared to a rental set that’s been worn by everyone before you and had lost any anti fog coating since every one has been scratching the lens. Make sure to get a set with a dual pane lens etc

But spend some more and you get ‘value added’ premium features such as soft rubber material, a better profile / design and much more choice in lenses. They still need to fit right for you.
These clearly cost more, and if you have a fat wallet can easily cost up to £200
But they don’t have to cost that much, shop around and you can find deals such as Super5ives EVS or special edition colours drastically dropping in price once they are no longer the newest thing in fashion

Lenses should be looked after, but it may be just worth buying a fresh new set of goggles instead of the lens.
Thank you, I think ill look into medium costing masks. Unfortunaley my wallet is not fat :(. The Super5ives look nice and they are pretty affordable. For the lenses should buy a extra lenses? Also what are dual pane lens?

Masks are again down to personal preference and fit. If attending a walk on it maybe worth asking if people have any spare masks they aren't wearing and try on for comfort (all covid depending as well).
Dye masks are very popular but generally quite small sonic you have a large fave/head you may feel a little exposed.
JT produce some great masks as well, with the flex versions style not having changed for decades. If it's not broke don't fix it.
My personal choice are Vforce Grills. For me these fit me, light, comfortable and good field of vision. Downside is the dip on the forehead without a peak. I also like the larger Virtue Vios as well for comfort and vision.
What ever it.comes to, worth buy a good quality mask!

After Mask I would say some playing gear. Trousers, jersey etc. If you can attend some good walk one and speak to people they'll often let you have a play with a marker. Try and find what you like the feel off. Again you don't want to buy something and then find you don't like it or wish you'd spent a little more.

If you buy a marker don't forget about the additional costs that come with it. As you'll need a bottle and hopper as well!

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for your reply! Ill definetly look into JTD and Vforce , ive seen some HK army goggles which look comfy and I like that they have ear protection aswell. Ill defintely ask to try some on, as it will give me a better idea of what id like! Playing gear definitely seems like a good idea, thank you.
I have been looking at some markers and I think that I like the Eclipse Etha 2, and it has a starter kit with it which includes a hopper and air tank and such! I was also looking at the Dye CZR, but im leaning more towards the Etha 2. This helped me alot and was very informative thank you!
Id add to this, chech out how much replacement lens cost - they range hugely £25 - £50

If you end up loving your first goggles you dont want to pay out loads for different lenses
yeah ill research into this aswell, would be a huge downside to buying goggles and then buying £50 lenses so thank you.

Just would like to say thank you to everyone who has commented, you have all really helped me with understanding where to start in paintball, which I otherwise would not have been able to do!

The Dead Dodo

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2008
cornwall
Don't forget you can get some bargain 2nd hand masks as well! I think when I started I bought a cheap new mask and then eventually upgraded with second hand masks and have since hand new and 2nd.
I've never bothered with all the different lenses personally. There are definitely times I wish I had a smoked lense or a yellow one but it's never been a huge issue for me and as a result I've not got them. Only buying new replacement clear lenses when needed.
I'd intially start of find a mask you like and not worry about different lenses yet.
Get yourself kitted out first then if you fancy a new lense you can treat yourself.
Another considerations is glasses if you need to wear them and how they fit under the mask.
Duel pane is basically a thermal lense. It is two layers a bit like double glazing and helps prevent steaming. A decent mask with a single lense shouldn't have to much issues but having the duel lense really does help a lot more!

I've not used the Etha2 but heard good things about it. The etha1 was a solid maker when it was out and my mates was quite nice to use. I've only ever shot Planet markers. They work, they are solid and reliable, easy to maintain and the customer service is brilliant! I don't think you'll go wrong with any planet marker to start with. I've still got my original Etek1 from 2008 and it still rips!
Again don't forget about looking 2nd hand. Some bargains to be had and saves a load of cash. I've never bought a brand new marker.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
. For the lenses should buy a extra lenses? Also what are dual pane lens?
You won’t need to buy extra lenses to start off. Just bear them in mind for the future when you lens is getting old, or you want a change down the line.
(Or you buy second hand goggles - best to replace with a new lens)
If you have multiple lenses for different environments and sun brightness then you then need to add on a lens case otherwise your spare becomes worse then the one you’re wearing
(A lens case could be wrapping it in microfibres and a safe compartment, or it could be a dedicated paintball lens case - after about 15 years in paintball carrying spares, I bought an actual lens case a couple of years ago)

Different lens colours are generally designed for different environments

Clear works everywhere, but doesn’t filter bright sunlight
Dark & strong colours filter like sunglasses, but give poor visibility in the woods, indoors and on dull days.
Amber filters out a little light but highlights contrast and makes it easier for you to spot the detail - amber lenses are used in driving glasses

Fancy mirrored lenses make you look cool, are good for getting your photo taken, but filter out a fair bit of light

If in doubt choose clear or amber for most circumstances

Dual pane is a double glazed lens. There is the main lens, an air gap and a softer inner lens
If aids anti fogging
Anything but the very bottom level has anti fog

Note that every set of paintball goggles has ear protection - the difference is whether that’s just hard plastic of the mask, a nice soft pad or whether it doesn’t fit your head well and big ears are poking out