Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New to Paintball, Need some advice!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
When it comes to the day that you choose to replace the lens you might find that you want new goggles. Either a different model or a fresh new set of the same model

The two main disposables with goggles are the lens and the strap. (Also goggle foam, but quality foam should last unless it’s abused)
The lens must be replaced eventually to be sure it’s still good, it will naturally get basic scratches in use and it’s anti fog may degrade over time.
The strap is more likely to be replaced for a fancy design, but will also at some point lose its elasticity.
If you get to the point of both lens and strap getting tired then a new set of goggles is generally the most financially viable

ant290

BOOOOM!
May 15, 2007
Southampton
ant290.wixsite.com
Clear works everywhere, but doesn’t filter bright sunlight
Dark & strong colours filter like sunglasses, but give poor visibility in the woods, indoors and on dull days.
Amber filters out a little light but highlights contrast and makes it easier for you to spot the detail - amber lenses are used in driving glasses

Fancy mirrored lenses make you look cool, are good for getting your photo taken, but filter out a fair bit of light

If in doubt choose clear or amber for most circumstances

Dual pane is a double glazed lens. There is the main lens, an air gap and a softer inner lens
If aids anti fogging
Anything but the very bottom level has anti fog

Note that every set of paintball goggles has ear protection - the difference is whether that’s just hard plastic of the mask, a nice soft pad or whether it doesn’t fit your head well and big ears are poking out
Quality info

Reactions: Alexxxx

DonBossi

Mar 4, 2021
Dark & strong colours filter like sunglasses, but give poor visibility in the woods, indoors and on dull days.
Amber filters out a little light but highlights contrast and makes it easier for you to spot the detail - amber lenses are used in driving glasses

Fancy mirrored lenses make you look cool, are good for getting your photo taken, but filter out a fair bit of light

Loads of good info in this post. It reminded me of the lens description page and YouTube vid from Virtue where I think they've put in a good bit of effort and done a really good job:

https://virtuepb.eu/collections/vio-lenses/products/vio-lens-clear

Reactions: Tom

Alexxxx

Mar 11, 2021
Don't forget you can get some bargain 2nd hand masks as well! I think when I started I bought a cheap new mask and then eventually upgraded with second hand masks and have since hand new and 2nd.
I've never bothered with all the different lenses personally. There are definitely times I wish I had a smoked lense or a yellow one but it's never been a huge issue for me and as a result I've not got them. Only buying new replacement clear lenses when needed.
I'd intially start of find a mask you like and not worry about different lenses yet.
Get yourself kitted out first then if you fancy a new lense you can treat yourself.
Another considerations is glasses if you need to wear them and how they fit under the mask.
Duel pane is basically a thermal lense. It is two layers a bit like double glazing and helps prevent steaming. A decent mask with a single lense shouldn't have to much issues but having the duel lense really does help a lot more!

I've not used the Etha2 but heard good things about it. The etha1 was a solid maker when it was out and my mates was quite nice to use. I've only ever shot Planet markers. They work, they are solid and reliable, easy to maintain and the customer service is brilliant! I don't think you'll go wrong with any planet marker to start with. I've still got my original Etek1 from 2008 and it still rips!
Again don't forget about looking 2nd hand. Some bargains to be had and saves a load of cash. I've never bought a brand new marker.
I’ll definitely look into second hand stuff then! Is there a good place to get it/ look? I’ve had a little look on here and there are some really good Deals but I was just wondering if there is other places for like specific stuff. Don’t you have to get to like 20 messages on this forum before you can buy stuff from there?
Thank you for the info about the duel pane, I think that that’s kinda of a necessity then!
It’s also good to know that the etha 2 has a good reputation
You won’t need to buy extra lenses to start off. Just bear them in mind for the future when you lens is getting old, or you want a change down the line.
(Or you buy second hand goggles - best to replace with a new lens)
If you have multiple lenses for different environments and sun brightness then you then need to add on a lens case otherwise your spare becomes worse then the one you’re wearing
(A lens case could be wrapping it in microfibres and a safe compartment, or it could be a dedicated paintball lens case - after about 15 years in paintball carrying spares, I bought an actual lens case a couple of years ago)

Different lens colours are generally designed for different environments

Dual pane is a double glazed lens. There is the main lens, an air gap and a softer inner lens
If aids anti fogging
Anything but the very bottom level has anti fog

Note that every set of paintball goggles has ear protection - the difference is whether that’s just hard plastic of the mask, a nice soft pad or whether it doesn’t fit your head well and big ears are poking out
thank you so much for this, this helped so much! I had no idea that different lenses did different things. I was going to ask about a case and microfibre cloth so thank you for that aswell!
Thanks for the info about the duel pane lens aswell
I’ll look into getting an amber or clear lenses!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Don’t you have to get to like 20 messages on this forum before you can buy stuff from there?
There are two ways of getting access to the classifieds.
1) the 20 post rule
This is to make a minimum of 20 posts ‘contributing’ to the forum. This is exactly what you are doing by asking questions and having a discussion. If we mods and the admins think posts are just spamming for the count then we delete posts or the admin resets the calculator.
They also need to be across a period of time. Between 2 or 3 weeks (the exact duration may be changed by the admin from time to time

2) platinum membership
This is to upgrade your membership which gives some extra privileges including direct access to classifieds.
It can be a 12 month of lifetime membership

Method 1 is recommended, as it helps to minimise the situation of new players buying the first shiney exciting thing they see, allows them to see various different adverts come up, and more importantly the chance to ask questions and make informed decisions
Method 2 contributes to the running costs of the server etc, but is a shortcut.
It’s good to have the money contributing to the cost, but it’s preferable to have people using the forum as a forum rather than just a second hand shop

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I I was going to ask about a case and microfibre cloth so thank you for that aswell!

I’ll look into getting an amber or clear lenses!
The best way to clean and look after a lens is to put the absolute minimum on it.
Avoid antifog wipes and sprays unless absolutely necessary. Ideally just clean with water.

If there’s a lot of paint on the lens then a mini rubber squeegee will wipe it off
Next it’s the micro fibre. It’s handy to have a microfibre with a damp corner and a dry corner.
Spray on some water if necessary, wipe with the damp corner to clean the lens
Buff with the dry corner

If you can do more than this then you minimise removing the manufactures original coating. If you do get fogging issues then ensure airflow isn’t blocked by excessive scarfs etc, but you may need an antifog wipe or spray to help out.

You can spend a lot or very little on microfibres. A nice quality one is worthwhile, but they get abused so having lots of cheap ones helps a lot.
I have a ‘proper’ Exalt paintball microfibre and a lot of Poundland ones.

I like the big Poundland microfibres, and make goggle bags with them - fold it in half as a square, sew up all but one side and a loop of cord on the corner.
I keep my various goggles in them, and if they have a proper soft goggle bag put both on one pair.
When I was photographing games I would hang a microfibre bag from my trousers, it was handy to grab and wipe my goggle lens or camera lens, and when off field hang my goggles off my trousers too and inside the microfibre bag. (Note that I would clip the goggles to me as well ensuring they don’t fall out of the bag!)

At the end of the day the outside of the microfibre is probably grotty - note you also have to keep an eye out to ensure you don’t get them covered in dirt by kneeling or sitting and scratch grit on the lens, so might clean with the inside.
Ideally I have another of my diy microfibre bags, so pack it in clean one and pop the used one with the rest of the gear for cleaning

(((I’d carry the ‘proper’ microfibre in my pocket for good cleaning and the dog bag one for grot and protection)))

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
A tip that no sensible person would need to be told is:

If you’re a photographer who uses the viewfinder with the camera up against your face then you should not buy an HDR lens with a fancy finish on the first event of the season then spend all day on field holding your camera up against the lens and ending the day with what looks like the worlds oldest scratched lens

No one would be that stupid, and would buy a classic clear or amber lens for photography and save the fancy lenses for playing days.........

• Haha
Reactions: ant290 and Alexxxx

Alexxxx

Mar 11, 2021
When it comes to the day that you choose to replace the lens you might find that you want new goggles. Either a different model or a fresh new set of the same model

The two main disposables with goggles are the lens and the strap. (Also goggle foam, but quality foam should last unless it’s abused)
The lens must be replaced eventually to be sure it’s still good, it will naturally get basic scratches in use and it’s anti fog may degrade over time.
The strap is more likely to be replaced for a fancy design, but will also at some point lose its elasticity.
If you get to the point of both lens and strap getting tired then a new set of goggles is generally the most financially viable
ah okay thank you! Im assuming that when you buy a mask that, when you decide to replace the goggles you buy the same brand? Also I watched a video of Lonewolf paintball where they said in some cases you will need a chin strap to play, do all goggles come with a chin strap or does it vary?
There are two ways of getting access to the classifieds.
1) the 20 post rule
This is to make a minimum of 20 posts ‘contributing’ to the forum. This is exactly what you are doing by asking questions and having a discussion. If we mods and the admins think posts are just spamming for the count then we delete posts or the admin resets the calculator.
They also need to be across a period of time. Between 2 or 3 weeks (the exact duration may be changed by the admin from time to time

2) platinum membership
This is to upgrade your membership which gives some extra privileges including direct access to classifieds.
It can be a 12 month of lifetime membership

Method 1 is recommended, as it helps to minimise the situation of new players buying the first shiney exciting thing they see, allows them to see various different adverts come up, and more importantly the chance to ask questions and make informed decisions
Method 2 contributes to the running costs of the server etc, but is a shortcut.
It’s good to have the money contributing to the cost, but it’s preferable to have people using the forum as a forum rather than just a second hand shop
Ah okay I see. Thank you for explaining, Ill just keep contributing to the community and keep gathering information then hopefully ill get to the 20 post rule! I might decide to contribute to the site anyway at a later date!
The best way to clean and look after a lens is to put the absolute minimum on it.
Avoid antifog wipes and sprays unless absolutely necessary. Ideally just clean with water.
There’s some good stuff on lens colours here:

If there’s a lot of paint on the lens then a mini rubber squeegee will wipe it off
Next it’s the micro fibre. It’s handy to have a microfibre with a damp corner and a dry corner.
Spray on some water if necessary, wipe with the damp corner to clean the lens
Buff with the dry corner

If you can do more than this then you minimise removing the manufactures original coating. If you do get fogging issues then ensure airflow isn’t blocked by excessive scarfs etc, but you may need an antifog wipe or spray to help out.

You can spend a lot or very little on microfibres. A nice quality one is worthwhile, but they get abused so having lots of cheap ones helps a lot.
I have a ‘proper’ Exalt paintball microfibre and a lot of Poundland ones.

I like the big Poundland microfibres, and make goggle bags with them - fold it in half as a square, sew up all but one side and a loop of cord on the corner.
I keep my various goggles in them, and if they have a proper soft goggle bag put both on one pair.
When I was photographing games I would hang a microfibre bag from my trousers, it was handy to grab and wipe my goggle lens or camera lens, and when off field hang my goggles off my trousers too and inside the microfibre bag. (Note that I would clip the goggles to me as well ensuring they don’t fall out of the bag!)

At the end of the day the outside of the microfibre is probably grotty - note you also have to keep an eye out to ensure you don’t get them covered in dirt by kneeling or sitting and scratch grit on the lens, so might clean with the inside.
Ideally I have another of my diy microfibre bags, so pack it in clean one and pop the used one with the rest of the gear for cleaning

(((I’d carry the ‘proper’ microfibre in my pocket for good cleaning and the dog bag one for grot and protection)))
Yeah thats a good idea thank you, ill do the same as you have a good one and then have a lot of Poundland ones as well. I would not have known any of this and you've really helped me understand Masks and maitence etc!
On a bit of a tangent would you recommd getting a squighy for you marker?
I dont understand what happened with the video reply, but i was just going to say that ill give that a watch aswell!