Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New to the game

Alex hicks

Jul 31, 2018
South wales
Hi all I'm wanting to start playing more paintball I've played a good few times at my local centre in South Wales. I have been looking at what marker and tank to get and I'm abit stuck at what's good to start off with and what other kit I will need any help will be much appreciated. I live in pembrokshire South Wales if any one knows of any places near there that are good or have teams I could train with and meet other players around my area that would be brilliant I do drive so willing to travel many thanks Alex.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hi all I'm wanting to start playing more paintball I've played a good few times at my local centre in South Wales. I have been looking at what marker and tank to get and I'm abit stuck at what's good to start off with and what other kit I will need any help will be much appreciated. I live in pembrokshire South Wales if any one knows of any places near there that are good or have teams I could train with and meet other players around my area that would be brilliant I do drive so willing to travel many thanks Alex.
Marker / gun - whatever suits you. Search around the forum for information on most guns, we all have our favourites. There’s no need to splash out on something fancy, and though there is some truth to not buying the first thing that takes your fancy and then buying something else soon after, if you’re happy and don’t spend too much cash then it’s not such a waste.

For a cylinder / tank, you don’t really go far wrong with a basic 3000psi aluminium at about £30-£40
It won’t take 4500psi, but it will still work your gun, and it won’t have a curved base to rotate smoothly in your shoulder. But you won’t have spent £150+ on a new cylinder or £80+ on a second hand one before you have the experience to find out what size & weight cylinder fits you

Depending on the gun you buy you will need some way of getting paintballs into it. Unless you go magfed, or a pistol, etc then you need a hopper. Don’t bother with a basic gravity feed - a Proto primo (or other shelf type gravity hopper) is the minimum. Even better to have a force feed hopper such as the classic bargain Halo Too, or something easier to strip like the Rotor or Spire. You can spend little or lots on a hopper

Next how are you going to carry your paint - pods, and either a pod belt or vest to carry your pods

Next something you need to take a lot of thought on - goggles. Spending too price does not make specific goggles best for you. The cheapest pair could be best if they fit your head
Try before you buy - that could mean finding a shop near you (or an event with traders attending)
Failing that find your local walkon venue and just ask other people if you can try theirs on for size

You will also need good footwear (ankle support is essential in the woods), clothes, a bag etc
Then a fluffy to clean your barrel, tools and lube etc - which may come with your gun

Most importantly - look around the forum for the different flavours of Paintball and see what floats your boat. They could also influence what you want to buy

Alex hicks

Jul 31, 2018
South wales
Marker / gun - whatever suits you. Search around the forum for information on most guns, we all have our favourites. There’s no need to splash out on something fancy, and though there is some truth to not buying the first thing that takes your fancy and then buying something else soon after, if you’re happy and don’t spend too much cash then it’s not such a waste.

For a cylinder / tank, you don’t really go far wrong with a basic 3000psi aluminium at about £30-£40
It won’t take 4500psi, but it will still work your gun, and it won’t have a curved base to rotate smoothly in your shoulder. But you won’t have spent £150+ on a new cylinder or £80+ on a second hand one before you have the experience to find out what size & weight cylinder fits you

Depending on the gun you buy you will need some way of getting paintballs into it. Unless you go magfed, or a pistol, etc then you need a hopper. Don’t bother with a basic gravity feed - a Proto primo (or other shelf type gravity hopper) is the minimum. Even better to have a force feed hopper such as the classic bargain Halo Too, or something easier to strip like the Rotor or Spire. You can spend little or lots on a hopper

Next how are you going to carry your paint - pods, and either a pod belt or vest to carry your pods

Next something you need to take a lot of thought on - goggles. Spending too price does not make specific goggles best for you. The cheapest pair could be best if they fit your head
Try before you buy - that could mean finding a shop near you (or an event with traders attending)
Failing that find your local walkon venue and just ask other people if you can try theirs on for size

You will also need good footwear (ankle support is essential in the woods), clothes, a bag etc
Then a fluffy to clean your barrel, tools and lube etc - which may come with your gun

Most importantly - look around the forum for the different flavours of Paintball and see what floats your boat. They could also influence what you want to buy
Thank you for the reply I have been looking at the empire axe pro but not 100% of they are any good. I'm working not far from Leeds at the moment do you know any places to paintball around there I can drive so willing to travel abit. Many thanks

R.Edmunds82

Aug 4, 2012
Swansea, Wales, UK
Hi Alex,

All of what Tom said is spot on and when he said you don't need to spend a huge amount is correct. My first goggles were a set of Dye i3's from a friend which I think I spent £25 on and just replaced the lense(I've even still got them).
My first marker was a Proto Maxxed Rail (PMR) which was a xmas present(so free) and my first hopper was a Proto Primo which I think I still have and cost me a fiver on eBay.
Keep an eye on websites like bzpaintball and justpaintball they have crazy low deals on occasionally, bz were selling Empire Axe for £160 around xmas time.

For sites check out CQB in haverfordwest, the owner Mike is a sound guy.

As for teams, whereabouts are you in Pembs?
There's a very local team to you called BAT-21 (they have a website and can be found Facebook) who play mostly big game events and are who I play with predominantly.

If you don't mind travelling then there is a team called Swansea Draguns (you can find and message them on Facebook) who are unsurprisingly based mostly in Swansea. They play roughly once a month and go to a lot of magfed games but also have home games which are mostly held at Taskforce in Cowbridge which is about a 2hr drive from Pembroke Dock (Oh the joys of country life).
IMG_0829.JPG FB_IMG_1533189466431.jpg

Reactions: Alex hicks

Alex hicks

Jul 31, 2018
South wales
Hi Alex,

All of what Tom said is spot on and when he said you don't need to spend a huge amount is correct. My first goggles were a set of Dye i3's from a friend which I think I spent £25 on and just replaced the lense(I've even still got them).
My first marker was a Proto Maxxed Rail (PMR) which was a xmas present(so free) and my first hopper was a Proto Primo which I think I still have and cost me a fiver on eBay.
Keep an eye on websites like bzpaintball and justpaintball they have crazy low deals on occasionally, bz were selling Empire Axe for £160 around xmas time.

For sites check out CQB in haverfordwest, the owner Mike is a sound guy.

As for teams, whereabouts are you in Pembs?
There's a very local team to you called BAT-21 (they have a website and can be found Facebook) who play mostly big game events and are who I play with predominantly.

If you don't mind travelling then there is a team called Swansea Draguns (you can find and message them on Facebook) who are unsurprisingly based mostly in Swansea. They play roughly once a month and go to a lot of magfed games but also have home games which are mostly held at Taskforce in Cowbridge which is about a 2hr drive from Pembroke Dock (Oh the joys of country life).
View attachment 60070 View attachment 60071
Hi mate I'm based in Milford haven I have spoken to mike from CQB he hasn't got any walk in day lined up at the moment.

R.Edmunds82

Aug 4, 2012
Swansea, Wales, UK
Hi mate I'm based in Milford haven I have spoken to mike from CQB he hasn't got any walk in day lined up at the moment.
Okay well a couple of the BAT-21 guys are also in Milford. It's worth giving them a shout via Facebook and seeing what we can all arrange. We are looking at starting to do more events etc.