Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New to the scene, help a lad out

6thFlow

Jun 21, 2021
Middlesbrough
Hi everyone.

Basically I’m like every other newbie post you’ve seen. I need some advice and guidance to head in the right direction.

I’ve been on YouTube, google and even gear websites just researching everything and seeing what things are.

I’ve got fairly common sense and know what to sort of avoid to a sense.

My main point is that I don’t have the amount of friends to actually book a minimum playing requirement, there’s literally just me and a friend who will tag along(in the same boat as me). I’m very competitive and will spend money on gear that will last. I want this to be a long term hobby and really make it something, just never had the mates or time to make the step.

Goggle wise -I’d rather spend a fair amount and protect my skull in the long run, I don’t want cheap that will need replacing. I’ve searched around and noticed Dye i4’s are brought up a lot. However I wear glasses and have the smallest head on the planet.

Marker - literally anything but one of those realistic ones haha. I prefer the speedball styles.

Some noob questions

- How and where do I fill my air/co2?? (Read that air is the thing to go for). How long does it even last?

- Can you turn up with your own paintballs to shoot with to save money buying from the field?

-Whats the go to setup in 2021?

If I’ve got more questions I’ll ask when I remember but they’re probably so stupid but we all start somewhere

If you’ve taken to the time to read all this, youve got patience and I appreciate it.

thanks,
Dan :cool:

James ECI

UK Woodland Masters
Jul 31, 2007
Kent
First question - where are you based - lots of sites do walkon days - where you can turn up with you own kit and play for a discounted price.

Goggle wise -I’d rather spend a fair amount and protect my skull in the long run, I don’t want cheap that will need replacing. I’ve searched around and noticed Dye i4’s are brought up a lot. However I wear glasses and have the smallest head on the planet.

I4s are good - but it really is your preference - you might need to try a few and see where you end up

- How and where do I fill my air/co2?? (Read that air is the thing to go for). How long does it even last?

You can fill up at the site you play at. There really is little need to shoot at home unless youre doing marker maintenance.

- Can you turn up with your own paintballs to shoot with to save money buying from the field?

Why wouldnt you want to put money into the site you are playing at? Sites are businesses at the end of the day and need to make profit to stay afloat and improve facilities.

-Whats the go to setup in 2021?

Lots of personal preference - In the past 12 months Ive brought myself a CS2, Adrenaline shocker, Etha 2s and a couple GTeks. Again this comes down to personal preference.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Goggles: I4s are popular, and might suit you as you’ve mentioned having a small head. But it’s more important to try some on and see what feels good for you

Air fills - get them filled at the site you play at.
A CO2 cylinder isn’t worth buying for yourself. If you play at a site that runs on CO2 then it’s probably a site that just carers for rental players - so use their equipment.
A site that runs walkons for own gunners will most likely be running compressed air

Paintballs - no, you cannot just turn up with your own. But you don’t have to pay full rental type pricing
A walkon will charge a higher entry fee than a rental, but sell their paintballs by the case of 2000 and a suitable price
You don’t have to worry about mail order paintballs that have broken in the courier van or suffered from cold or hot weather in the back of a van and around depots.
Get your paintballs from the site, they will have been stored and transported properly, and if they are broken in the bag etc then you are face to face with who sold you them just now.
Some sites do allow you to bring your own paint, but it’s better to spend where the money is invested into the site you will be playing

Everyone has an opinion on the best markers.

Find your local independent site and ask if they do walkons. It’s worthwhile seeing whether they will rent you some site gear on top of a walkon so you can check out what the other players are using and ask around

If the site has a shop then check the look and feel there, otherwise look around for the retailers nearest to your area or areas that you could combine a visit with travel

Also look around for events where you can look around the retailers bringing their trade stands

6thFlow

Jun 21, 2021
Middlesbrough
Thanks for the speedy reply lads.

Im based in Middlesbrough so BZ yarm is the closest to me.

I worded the paintballs part wrong, I’m always one for helping the field out but I meant can you take the spares home abs bring them next time aswell as buying another bunch? Imagine you’re low on cereal and you buy another box just to cover until the first ones empty aha.

For example, I turn up with no air in my tank and I literally say to the staff, can you fill this please? And they’ll do it?

Thanks.

k4p84

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2009
www.paintballskirmish.co.uk
I worded the paintballs part wrong, I’m always one for helping the field out but I meant can you take the spares home abs bring them next time aswell as buying another bunch?
As a rule, if the event is site paint only it's site paint bought for that event / day only. Don't get us wrong, paint if stored well will last a little while and be useable but sites will expect you to follow convention.

For example, I turn up with no air in my tank and I literally say to the staff, can you fill this please? And they’ll do it?
Depends on the time / site. If it's an event some will do air training to show you how to use a fill station then your free to do so, some others will have refs filling tanks for you. Air fills are basically free all day of an event but turn up on a random Tuesday after calling ahead it's best to offer a few quid for a fill.
If you are unfamiliar with the process / the site does not do air training ask a member of staff to run through it with you. The process is not difficult but air in general should be treated with respect.

6thFlow

Jun 21, 2021
Middlesbrough
Appreciate the help you're giving by the way, more than you think. I've taken notes.

In your own way what's the best starting point you'd suggest? I've read the newbie posts on the forum but i'm not sure if they're outdated etc.

Do i buy a mask to start and use rentals, do i get a starter pack and take care of everything myself?
Im ex army so i know the ground rules about cleaning weapons and taking care of equipment etc but this is different hence why i've posted.

Would you suggest booking an appointment with my local shop first and telling them everything i've said to you guys? Bare in mind Covid guidelines, may not be able to try masks on.

Cheers

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
Appreciate the help you're giving by the way, more than you think. I've taken notes.

In your own way what's the best starting point you'd suggest? I've read the newbie posts on the forum but i'm not sure if they're outdated etc.

Do i buy a mask to start and use rentals, do i get a starter pack and take care of everything myself?
Im ex army so i know the ground rules about cleaning weapons and taking care of equipment etc but this is different hence why i've posted.

Would you suggest booking an appointment with my local shop first and telling them everything i've said to you guys? Bare in mind Covid guidelines, may not be able to try masks on.

Cheers
starter packs usually contain stuff you'll use once or twice then replace for better so in my view not worth the money, you're better off buying individual items. Seeing as you have a retail shop right on your doorstep it would be worth going and seeing them, BZ have been in the business a long time.

6thFlow

Jun 21, 2021
Middlesbrough
been speaking to people and they advised i go for an Empire EVS mask due to me wearing glasses for distance, eclipse 170R marker and a carbon 4.5k tank with a spire 4 hopper?

To me it seems like a lot of money to spend in one go however if i do it will make me want to play more also.

Thoughts?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
been speaking to people and they advised i go for an Empire EVS mask due to me wearing glasses for distance, eclipse 170R marker and a carbon 4.5k tank with a spire 4 hopper?

To me it seems like a lot of money to spend in one go however if i do it will make me want to play more also.

Thoughts?
They are all good, but a lot of money to throw out up front:

EVS are perfectly fine, and they are one of those that I tried on when seeking out new choices, but for the past few years I’ve kept going back to the VForce Grills - also great worn glasses (which I should wear for distance, but never do - I can see where the balls go)
There are a lot of grills colour schemes which have meant Ive had some great cut price bargains with ‘last years’ colours etc.
You’re right regarding Covid that trying them on may be a bit harder, but what’s right for one head may not be right for another
When shopping for goggles also look at the prices of lenses. You will want to replace the lens at some time, either due to age and scratches or for a different tint on a bright or dull day

EVS lenses will be £40 to £60, grills £30 to £45

A fibre cylinder allows you to get a 4500psi fill (50% more air when available), is lighter on a like for like comparison, and has a curved base which gives a good shoulder fit and ‘rolls’ to adjust aim. But that comes at £150+ compared to an aluminum 3000psi at £30 to £40 which has a flat base, takes 3000psi which is the maximum available at most sites, and due to different shapes and sizes of carbon fibres is not noticeably different in weight (a ‘standard’ carbon fibre is bigger than a standard aluminum - which does mean a little more air but a modern gun is perfectly efficient enough to keep shooting before you’re eliminated and back for a top up)

The 170r is very good, but that’s £600 to £800

You could have an Emek for £250, an Etha for £400 - all by Eclipse which are easy to maintain

Some Dyes for under £300 etc

But they are always in the classifieds, so you can make your money go further on a good second hand one

The Spire became the go to hopper, at about the time that I decided to go Rotor (which meant I benefited from second hand price drops)
All modern electric hoppers will do the job and can be opened up without tools to sort a problem out. So pretty much any will do you, though for certain guns their may be something more suitable such as a PAL loader on a PAL capable gun (no need for batteries and an agitation function from the gun)

BZ are always good for a chat, and will make custom packages. I don’t know what their Covid situation is in the shop but a visit is likely to be possible

Reactions: jim1962

James ECI

UK Woodland Masters
Jul 31, 2007
Kent

Thoughts?
Buy the mask first - if you can go to BZ and try some on - even better.

You could also look at the VFORCE Profilers - they have big lens and allow more room for glasses.

Should also consider the cost of replacement lens - JT goggles have some of the cheapest like £25 / Push have some of the most expensive £50

Once you have a goggle sorted you can then work out the next steps more slowly.

Gun and loader are next in my opionion. You dont need a 170R + Spire 4, but if you were prioritising one of the 2 id say the 170r and maybe a cheaper loader like a Dye LTR.

Tank you can borrow from site if you ask nicely and can then get your own when money allows.

Clothing... you can get away with combats and a long sleeve tshirt....

Pack - if you arent fussy i will send you one FOC when youve made some initial purchases. (i have tons of old ones i cannot really sell due to condition, but are perfectly functional)