Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New Year - New Answers Needed ..but What?

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
We already have pro-schools in the shape of clinics, which are always poorly attended.

Tournament players have a very short shelf life at present, so we need to cultivate the grass roots.

I believe that an Academy system may be in the pipeline.

:)

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
That's a very simplistic view that ignores any problems that may be in place despite the ressession.
Syd, i was answering the question in the context of the recession. Sorry i didn't make that clear. Once we are well out of the recession i think we will find a reverse to the current trends of decline. I don't believe the growth will be astronomical and i don't think it will be the answer to the prayers that i assume many will be making. However, for those businsses that have been smart during this period of turmoil i think it will be good news.

Hopefully this period of decline will also put paid to the golden egg idea of mainstream media attention leading to explosion of paintball as a bona fide sport. At the end of the day you are shooting another human being. It will never be a mainstream sport taught in schools/played at the olympics etc. Once people realise this and start working again at a a grass roots level that will accelerate a growth more than anything...

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
I think the answer has got to be a format that is accessible / affordable by more. More local events, cheaper entry costs, cheaper kit requirements, and less paint being shot. Concentrate on what makes the sport so much fun - shooting paintballs at each other. Does not mean we have to lose any 'cool' value, nor de-skill at all. Just move on, adapt and survive.
I also agree on this point. The inherent costs of sup' air coupled with the recession just means that it's difficult for anybody to afford to play, let alone get into the sport.

Have alternate formats been considered? I mean, creating something that's cheaper and more accessable is surely beneficial in the face of the recession, could even be good once things are on the upturn.

Syd (NSPL)

NSPL and Pr0to KotH
Aug 30, 2001
Torquay, UK
www.purepaintball.co.uk
Pete / Robbo, I'm silly and confused now? lol ;)

When a threads author asks a question and later posts that he doesn't believe there is an answer despite suggestions given, it's time for me to walk away, particularly when I tend to agree with him.

Happy New Year to you and yours mate. :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Pete / Robbo, I'm silly and confused now? lol ;)

When a threads author asks a question and later posts that he doesn't believe there is an answer despite suggestions given, it's time for me to walk away, particularly when I tend to agree with him.

Happy New Year to you and yours mate. :)
The vast majority of the questions I ask of anybody on here, I am already aware of what I believe the answer to be.
I am not asking the question for me Syd, I am asking it to provoke debate and see what other people come up with ... this is a forum for discussion and as owner of this forum, it is in my interests and the interests of the members to see open debates and discussions on topical subjects .... and this is exactly what we have here.

I suppose I could have maybe worded my response a little less decisively but hey, none of us are perfect mate .....

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
One thing we must remember here which seems to have been forgotten, the US paintball recession was in full swing for at least 18 months before the more general recession took hold and so does this mean we first have to witness an upturn in the overall economy and then wait for paintball to have its own recovery independent of the overall economy?

Or, is it possible for paintball to recover without the economy improving?

This phenomenon isn't unknown in that areas like betting have shown signs of growth in these times .......

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
I also agree on this point. The inherent costs of sup' air coupled with the recession just means that it's difficult for anybody to afford to play, let alone get into the sport.

Have alternate formats been considered? I mean, creating something that's cheaper and more accessable is surely beneficial in the face of the recession, could even be good once things are on the upturn.
I suggested the return of limited paint events on here some time ago.

Bully has been running them for some time.

And APS will be running fixed price events with their new A-Balls in 2010.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
I suggested the return of limited paint events on here some time ago.

Bully has been running them for some time.

And APS will be running fixed price events with their new A-Balls in 2010.
NPF ran an UWL (http://www.playuwl.com/rules.html) event not too long ago aswell. The rules don't limit paint, but equipment is limited meaning that the rof ends up beaing much lower, depending on which class you play in. UWL is especially good as players with any type of equipment can enter and it's not limited to a sup' air field, you could hold an event on almost any paintball park.

Reballs are a good idea, but they require much more reffing/self-reffing, which would be a pain on a competitive level - not to mention buying a ridiculous amount of reballs and maintaining that stock is going to cost a sodload for the organiser. Playing at NPF's reball field is immense, if it's going to be anything similar, but the problems with reballs and sup' air as a format still stand.

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
NPF ran an UWL (http://www.playuwl.com/rules.html) event not too long ago aswell. The rules don't limit paint, but equipment is limited meaning that the rof ends up beaing much lower, depending on which class you play in. UWL is especially good as players with any type of equipment can enter and it's not limited to a sup' air field, you could hold an event on almost any paintball park.

Reballs are a good idea, but they require much more reffing/self-reffing, which would be a pain on a competitive level - not to mention buying a ridiculous amount of reballs and maintaining that stock is going to cost a sodload for the organiser. Playing at NPF's reball field is immense, if it's going to be anything similar, but the problems with reballs and sup' air as a format still stand.
APS are running a UWL league in 2010, which I hope to attend - I was invited to the last event as well but couldn't make it.

I agree with you re reffing a Reball event. It's a whole new can of worms.