Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL memberships?

R

raehl

And?

Worst case scenario, think of it like union dues - you have to pay them, or you don't get to work. :)

- Chris

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
And?

Originally posted by raehl
Worst case scenario, think of it like union dues - you have to pay them, or you don't get to work. :)

- Chris
Right, except of course if I belonged to a union I'd be employed. In your model I pay to belong then I pay again to participate. This is exactly the sort of forward thinking that will lead paintball into the 20th century. :rolleyes:

R

raehl

Heh, ok..

So you took the analogy farther than I did.

Nonetheless, I think you're overlooking the fact that the promotions company and the NPPL are separate entitites. If you're going to have a system where you have a player's organization sanctioning tournaments, that organization is going to have to fund itself. You're not paying $35 IN ADDITION to entry fee, you're paying an entry fee, and you're paying membership dues, because NPPL has a relationship with th S7 promotions company: NPPL sanctions the events, but only if everyone who plays in them is required to be a NPPL member. That's where I was going with the union analogy: The union OKs its workers to work at your company, but only if all of the workers at your company (in that profession, anyway) are union workers.

Or are you saying a player's organization is not necessary and you'd rather just deal with the promoter directly?

- Chris

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Heh, ok..

Or are you saying a player's organization is not necessary and you'd rather just deal with the promoter directly?

- Chris
What player's organization? I am saying that as currently described "membership" is a fiction. It's a fee, plain and simple, all dressed up as a 'benefit' and I find it insulting. If they believe they have to charge more to deliver the promised results then just do it. What's next? A Staging surcharge?

Mark/Static

Huntington Beach, CA --- reserve your room at the Comfort Suites Hotel by 1/22/03 and reduce your room rate to $59.99 per night. Suite sleeps up to 4 persons.
Call 714-841-1812; let the attendant know you're with the NPPL to receive the discount.

I searched Yahoo travel and got the same rate without AAA, Corporate, or NPPL discounts.

R

raehl

Baca: Ok, that's what I thought you were trying to say: You don't see the NPPL as a player's organization, just a label for an extra fee. I think NPPL is dropping the ball on informing the players why exactly NPPL is necessary and making them believe it.

The $35 is for having an organization that will go and start another league if the players are not happy with the current promoters. No $35, no organization to leave the promoters if things arn't done well.

Mark: This is actually pretty common - I've done group bookings at hotels for NCPA events, and the "discount price" they come back with is actually $10 or more HIGHER than the price on the internet. I think this is mainly because the internet pricing is controlled from the corporate level while group bookings are done by a per-hotel manager, and due to competition on the internet, the online pricing gets driven pretty low. This is also partially due to it being much cheaper to take room bookings online than by having people call up for them. Anyway, the people who actually work at the hotel probably don't even know what their room prices online are because they probably don't set them. They just know that regular room if you just call up and book one is $99, so if they offer you $69, that's a discount, even if corporate also offers a web booking discount that's also $69.

- Chris

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Compulsory membership of an organisation if you want to take part in certain events isn't that unusual in sport. The 2 that come to mind immediately are showjumping & soccer.
To compete at the decent level showjumping events in the UK, you have to be a member of the BSJA - no membership, no entry to their sanctioned events. It goes even further in fact; every horse has to be registered (with a fee for each registration) and even if you don't take part you need to be a member if you want a horse you own to compete. So rider, individual horse & owner all have to be members with an annual fee for each.
In soccer, if you want your club to be able to play events like the FA cup or any of the recognised leagues then the club must be a member of the Football Association.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Liz
Compulsory membership of an organisation if you want to take part in certain events isn't that unusual in sport. The 2 that come to mind immediately are showjumping & soccer.
To compete at the decent level showjumping events in the UK, you have to be a member of the BSJA - no membership, no entry to their sanctioned events. It goes even further in fact; every horse has to be registered (with a fee for each registration) and even if you don't take part you need to be a member if you want a horse you own to compete. So rider, individual horse & owner all have to be members with an annual fee for each.
In soccer, if you want your club to be able to play events like the FA cup or any of the recognised leagues then the club must be a member of the Football Association.
Ok, Liz, so just what do the two organizations you named actually do? Do they simply collect money, hand you a shiny card and say, "have fun?"

How many tourneys in UK require all participants to be UKPSF members?

Mark/Static

Originally posted by Liz
Wow! That's so amazing, I was thinking the exact same thing! ;)
Originally posted by Liz
Mark: This is actually pretty common - I've done group bookings at hotels for NCPA events, and the "discount price" they come back with is actually $10 or more HIGHER than the price on the internet. I think this is mainly because the internet pricing is controlled from the corporate level while group bookings are done by a per-hotel manager, and due to competition on the internet, the online pricing gets driven pretty low. This is also partially due to it being much cheaper to take room bookings online than by having people call up for them. Anyway, the people who actually work at the hotel probably don't even know what their room prices online are because they probably don't set them. They just know that regular room if you just call up and book one is $99, so if they offer you $69, that's a discount, even if corporate also offers a web booking discount that's also $69.
I really think this is comparing apples and oranges guys. I'm not an advocate for any league, nor am I opposed to any league. I just hate it when a spade is called a club.
If you're gonna base the purpose of a membership on hotel and airline discounts, then it better be a true discount. If I pay $35 to get a discount to a hotel that anyone could've gotten by simply logging onto the internet, then where's the discount?
I imagine the FA and BSJA have many more administrative tasks to accomplish for it's members than will the NPPL S7. But if the membership fee was used to begin a player database for purposes of determining current skill level, history of misconduct, etc. that would make sense to me.
Again, I'm not opposed to any league or membership thereof, I just think the analogies being used to defend it are flawed.
Chris,
Thanks for the lesson in internet pricing. It was both demeaning and condescending, and totally out in left field. You astound me!

Toxic Dave

Sep 17, 2001
LI, NY
toxicperformance.com
My only real issue with the NPPL has been that they have been collecting money from players/ promoters and not doing anything that helps further the sport or the players interest. I'd have no problem paying an organization 25-30 bucks a year if they were kicking ass for me and the rest of the players. Getting cheap hotels, getting airline discounts, working with the promoters to make events better, etc. Until now Chuck etc seemed to have been more concerned with trashing promoters and finding a better way to shift blame. It's silly and counterproductive in my eyes.

dave