Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL memberships?

R

raehl

Geez Mark...

It's just some information, and although I tagged it with your name to match up what I was replying to, this is a web forum where many people read posts. If you already had the information, great, but it quite surprised me the first few times I ran into it, and some others might find it interesting.

The discounts (whether you actually believe they're discounts or not) won't be all you get for the membership, it's just all that's been announced so far.

- Chris

Mark/Static

Originally posted by Toxic Dave
My only real issue with the NPPL has been that they have been collecting money from players/promoters and not doing anything that helps further the sport or the players interest. I'd have no problem paying an organization 25-30 bucks a year if they were kicking ass for me and the rest of the players. Getting cheap hotels, getting airline discounts, working with the promoters to make events better, etc. Until now Chuck etc seemed to have been more concerned with trashing promoters and finding a better way to shift blame. It's silly and counterproductive in my eyes.

dave
It can be argued that the original break between the PSP and the NPPL prior to Vegas was really the only break. Like a couple that was separated then reunited, what little trust there was before was totally gone from then on. How anyone could've expected the two entities to work together after that for the benefit of the players, is beyond me. The reality is that PSP felt it was in their best interest to at least finish the season with the NPPL name. They never wanted any help, from the NPPL besides it's name.
Whatever blame Chuck "shifted" to the promoters, if any, were mild compared to that of the media, and players themselves. The act of Chuck and the NPPL shifting blame implies that they actually deserve some of it. But if the NPPL never did anything, and were not expected to do anything, then what blame do they deserve?

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
I wasn't particularly defending the NPPL, just noting that there are other sports where costly membership is required. Actually, the BSJA one can be quite a rip-off for some even though there IS a big admin burden. OK, they keep records on all the horses & some stuff on the riders but the owners - nothing at all. Seeing as 15 years ago it cost me somewhere around £40 to register my father as co-owner of the horse, & the only benefit was being able to have his name mentioned very occasionally if it was a big show with a printed entry list.............

We went through all this with the Millenniums last year. Everyone had to pay for a player registration & some people never even got their cards. For those who attended Campaign only, they got their cards after that event so it was however much for a useless piece of plastic with their picture on it. Didn't even prevent the stuff it was supposed to stop like players turning out for more than one team at the same tourney. BUT - it was the first year, and I feel we have to give them the chance to get the system working. If in another couple of years there are still no benefits showing, then I'll be screaming as loudly as anyone else about it.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Liz
BUT - it was the first year, and I feel we have to give them the chance to get the system working. If in another couple of years there are still no benefits showing, then I'll be screaming as loudly as anyone else about it.
In that case I've got a broken down old wreck of a car I'll be happy to sell ya, Liz. Pay me for it this year, I'll get it to you eventually and then you can pay me for it twice more and if it still isn't running then you can see me about gettin' it right.

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
Baca Loco: so basically, if I understand what you're angry about, you wanted the fee hidden into the entry fee? I guess if Chuck had a little more time to organize, he probably would've figured that out, but I figure if you want to play, then play...if you don't want to then stay home and read the scores online.

Yes, I agree with you that I'd like the fee to be hidden, but...

Ray

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by NulodPBall
Baca Loco: so basically, if I understand what you're angry about, you wanted the fee hidden into the entry fee? I guess if Chuck had a little more time to organize, he probably would've figured that out, but I figure if you want to play, then play...if you don't want to then stay home and read the scores online.

Yes, I agree with you that I'd like the fee to be hidden, but...

Ray
Nice one, Ray. I love that old chestnut and you were far more polite than the usual shut up and be grateful you have a place to play. But no. Oddly enough, what I want is for the membership to mean something if I have to pay for it otherwise it might as well be added to the entry fee if the S7 thinks it needs that extra green to do the job they've promised.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Oh Camille

Was'up, C?
I thought you weren't going to respond to question on forums yet below is your reply to a question on SmackTalk of all places. Have you changed your mind?
Call me, Mr. Curious. ;)

For clarification purposes--Does your answer mean there is a dimensional minimum as well as maximums for NPPL fields? Width between 80-100 feet? Length no shorter than 180 and no longer than 200?

And while I'm at it, any idea what parking is like near the venue? Particularly if you're not in a nearby hotel?

Camille's reply to question on SmackTalk--[NPPL Super 7-Man fields run from 80 x 180 to 100 x 200 feet.

If you have any more questions regarding the event or team registration please check out our website at www.nppl.tv where you can pay and register on-line! Otherwise feel free to contact me at Camille@nppl.tv or call me at (303) 520-3027 with any team questions.

Thank you,
Camille Baker
Director of Marketing
National Professional Paintball League
www.nppl.tv
camille@nppl.tv

http://www.nppl.tv ]

Was' up, P?

Boy you're pretty quick to insult me Paul, what's up with that? I posted a reply on this forum and a reply on that one... wouldn't that be fair? And just as on this forum I ended it with my contact details for other information requests. The measurements I listed are what can be expected of NPPL fields. And yes, we have reserved entire parking lots right there at the venue which are secured for players and vendors. The site layout and so forth has been sent to sponsors and vendors. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of the site layout then please contact us with a request.

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
Baca Loco: Hey, even if there weren't whole parking lots reserved for the event, there's plenty of parking in the area (at least in the Winter time there is). The major question would've been: How far do you want to walk. The whole region is public access beaches, each with it's own large parking area, and there's a couple of (pay) parking structures within easy walking distance of the pier (if you eat or buy in one of the local places ask for a validation sticker. Every little bit helps). There's a good 3 or 4 miles of beaches with parking lots so one of those motorized scooters would be really handy...especially if you wanted to just check out the area and didn't want to lose your parking space. My suggestion would be (after checking out Main st.) would be to head south twards Balboa...maybe you can catch Carmen Electra at the Worm's pad? Just look for the pink place with the visiting police ;) There's a paved bike path running up and down the coast here.
Fortunatly, parking appears to be arranged and with the teams cut down to 7-man, the need for huge rental vans is reduced. If we get the usual two parking passes (Camille?) and you guys use more than two cars, if you guys park the extra cars in a State parking lot, you only pay about $4.00 per day (cheap for the area) or on a residential street (watch for street sweeping days) you can either pile into the remaining cars or walk to the pier with your gear. I have a feeling that we'll have ten bodies at the field with 12 cars showing up...LOL.

As far as the ID cards and fees: As I understand things, when the NPPL asked the PSP promoters to fall inline with consistent application of rules and punishment, the NPPL was basically brushed off and the promoters pretty much did as they pleased. I remember the debate between "barrels off" and "barrel plugs" , turbo mode, what constitutes a trigger pull, and those darn plastic pellet shooting guns. We didn't even know about the rules/bans until we picked up our team packets. And then the rules weren't applied consistently from tournament venue to tournament venue. What I'm hoping for here is consistency. That way, we all know what to expect and we can all pull out a copy of the rules and refer to the relevant paragraph when needed. That's all that I ask for. So I guess my expectations are a wee bit lower than yours. I know how hard it is to run a tournament on time, and knowing the knuckleheads that play and always forget even their masks when it comes time to play, I suspect that for the first half of the first year of the Super 7, checking of ID cards probably won't be strict, or if there is, many people will slide by with "it's at the car" or "it's in the hotel room". Most of the time, no-one even checks if the picture matches the person presenting the ID card, and no-one knows if someone playing isn't on the official roster unless something happens to call the roster into question (such as when one pro team showed up with exactly 10 players, had one player suspended and then showed up for the next game with 10 players). I really don't care about the discounts so much (as it was pointed out, you can always get a better discount online somewhere...if you're willing to take a chance like some friends who ended up in a ghetto in Chicago, with a backed up toilet that stayed backed up all night and no lights in one room). Sorry for the long post....

Ray

R

raehl

IDs

I don't think you really need to be checking IDs all the time. What you really need are:

- Spot checking of IDs
- Really nasty penalties if you're attempting to defraud the system.

If you don't have your ID on you, no big deal, just make a note of it and if you don't resolve it by the end of the round, don't let the team advance. Don't let anyone from the team play again until it's been resolved.

The other bonus is instead of having all refs have to check ID's, you can have a handful of people whose sole job is to go from field to field and check IDs. Any administrative burden you can take off the ref's shoulders is a good thing.

- Chris