Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL memberships?

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Was' up, P?

Originally posted by Camille J. Baker
Boy you're pretty quick to insult me Paul, what's up with that? I posted a reply on this forum and a reply on that one... wouldn't that be fair?
Camille, c'mon. Insult? I simply stated the circumstances as I understood them, then asked a question.
Additionally I asked for a clarification of field sizes and posted your reply as found elsewhere so the info would be available here.
No insult intended--a small tweak perhaps but that's just good fun. :) After all, there's a bit of difference in actually answering a question and responding to a question by answering that you won't be responding except directly via email or phone or thru official press releases. :D

Ray--
It seems to me you're leaping to conclusions as to how the "memberships" will or won't be used. At this point nobody from NPPL (Camille, correct me if I'm wrong) is talking ID's. The "membership" has nothing, at this time, directly to do with IDs. My point all along has been that to make it actually worthwhile to the players it should be set up as an ID and used to ensure teams and players adherrence to the rules. Of course, the PSP had good reason to not want to do that before but since the NPPL seemed to be making an effort I guess I expected them to follow through when they were in control. (And they may yet--we'll see.)

It is also pretty clear, it seems, that I'm more or less alone in this so I guess everyone else is happy to plunk down the extra change and be grateful for their membership. I'm beginning to feel like Tyg, oh my! :rolleyes: :eek:

Toxic Dave

Sep 17, 2001
LI, NY
toxicperformance.com
Baca,

The fact of the matter is The NPPL never planned to use the info they gathered from selling ID's for anything but creating a database of customers to contact when the decided to become a publicly known profit making institutuion(since they never really wanted to be a players org anyway, if they did they would have held elections, and actually helped the players in some way shape or form) It was/ is their job to enforce the rules, not just ID cards, but all of them (it is the NPPL rulebook and comittee) but they left that up to the PSP too, Chuck never made roster information, player ID etc stuff available to the PSP, thus they COULD NOT enforce the rules for them anyway.

The PSP has no problem enforcing roster rules violations when they know they exist. Strange B lost a whole lot of points in the 5 man at WC this year due to an infraction, and it was a player who let them know..not the NPPL.

dave

((Ray--
It seems to me you're leaping to conclusions as to how the "memberships" will or won't be used. At this point nobody from NPPL (Camille, correct me if I'm wrong) is talking ID's. The "membership" has nothing, at this time, directly to do with IDs. My point all along has been that to make it actually worthwhile to the players it should be set up as an ID and used to ensure teams and players adherrence to the rules. Of course, the PSP had good reason to not want to do that before but since the NPPL seemed to be making an effort I guess I expected them to follow through when they were in control. (And they may yet--we'll see.) ))

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Toxic Dave
The PSP has no problem enforcing roster rules violations when they know they exist. Strange B lost a whole lot of points in the 5 man at WC this year due to an infraction, and it was a player who let them know..not the NPPL.
Dave,
I don't know what the NPPL planned or didn't plan. I only know from what they've done or haven't done and the same applies to the PSP.
We could debate all day who was or wasn't at fault for various past occurrances and which ones did or didn't really happen but what would be the point? Since there are now two national series let's wipe the slate clean and start fresh 'cause from here on out each side will have nobody to blame but themselves if things go badly.
Personally I hope both sides buckle down and get serious about delivering high quality events everyone can take pride in. Then it's a win, win for all the players.

D

duffistuta

Jerry's told us that

PSP is seriously looking at stadium venues. Maybe we'll see big changes this season?

We've also heard very positive things about the fields at Huntington Beach; they've dug right down so the spectators are above the action and apparently the playing surface is good.

What interests me is who, if anyone, will get TV first?

R

raehl

Wrong question.

The question should be...

Who will get TV to PAY US for content first.

If we're just getting on TV because S7 or PSP is selling advertising time to paintbal companies to buy the air time, that's not really doing us a whole lot of good.

- Chris

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
Dave,
I don't know what the NPPL planned or didn't plan. I only know from what they've done or haven't done and the same applies to the PSP.
We could debate all day who was or wasn't at fault for various past occurrances and which ones did or didn't really happen but what would be the point? Since there are now two national series let's wipe the slate clean and start fresh 'cause from here on out each side will have nobody to blame but themselves if things go badly.
Personally I hope both sides buckle down and get serious about delivering high quality events everyone can take pride in. Then it's a win, win for all the players.
Hear, hear Baca - most balanced sensible post on the subject to date. Recriminations do nobody any good at all and hopefully having 2 series will lead to healthy competition between the 2 organisations which can only be good for the players.

NulodPBall

Dec 26, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
I expect that at a minimum, the HB NPPL will be a 30 second blurb on the local stations. Hopefully, Chuck or Camille will have convinced someone to do an in-depth story for TV and if so, then quite probably it'll be run on a national feed, and hopefully bring open the curtain that paintball seems to hide behind from the American public. But then again, I always expect strangers to be friendly and I know some people (not in California) who leave their back door unlocked in case friends drop by when no-one is home...

Yes, when the story (paintball) becomes so popular that reporters have to offer money for extensive coverage, then we'll know that paintball has "arrived". It would be really nice if it happens this year.

As far as the ID cards go, yes, I'm a simple man...actually, Chuck mis-spelled my name two seasons ago, so when I had him redo my card, I wanted him to put "Paintball God" as my level/classification but Jessica Sparks (just in front of me) beat me to it :mad:

Ray

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
PARTICIPATING IN PAINTBALL TOURNAMENTS REQUIRES MEMBERSHIP IN THE NATIONAL PROFESSIONAL PAINTBALL LEAGUE

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. - January 14, 2003 - Today, the National Professional Paintball league, the sole founding amateur and professional paintball League in the United States, announced that annual membership in the League is required for playing in NPPL tournaments.

"NPPL membership has its privileges. NPPL members are afforded the opportunity of playing in the fastest growing and arguably, most exciting professional and amateur sport on the planet," said Chuck Hendsch, president of the League.
The membership fee is $35 a year, and is renewed annually from date of issuance. Replacing a lost membership card costs $10. Sign ups are available online or by mail. - log on to nppl.tv. Don't forget to send your photo! You can also submit your photo online.

A photo identification card will be issued to each member. This ID card system allows the NPPL to track statistics such as player rankings and status on roster as well as any disciplinary actions imposed on the player.

In addition to the photo identification card and decals denoting official membership in the NPPL, members will receive a year's subscription to the leading publications covering paintball, including Paintball News, www.paintballnews.com. Every issue of Paintball News covers all the latest action in tournament play, new product reviews and personality profiles on the top paintball athletes competing. Zone Up, the League's quarterly newsletter, which is filled with tournament coverage, player profiles and rankings, will also be mailed to all members.

Being a well-informed NPPL member is a small slice of the huge pie of benefits that participants will receive. Approved paintball fields and participating paintball product retailers will soon be extending significant discounts to NPPL members. When traveling to tournaments, NPPL members will have the opportunity to stay at participating hotels at discounted room rates.

Approved airlines and car rental companies will also extend a reduced rate to NPPL members. Insurance providers have also promised to provide discounts to members for their insurance products. "Response to our new NPPL membership drive has been phenomenal from both the paintball player community and paintball related merchants. More merchants are being signed up on a daily basis that desire participating in extending discount benefits to NPPL members. The response is so overwhelming that NPPL player supporters, including spouses, girlfriends/boyfriends, parents and their children, are requesting membership. We've created a separate supporter membership category, which both costs the same and affords the supporter member with the same benefits that a player member receives. In addition, a paintball supporter clothing line is being designed, which will be available at special discounted pricing to supporting members. We're all about growing our great sport to meet or exceed the needs of those who compete or of those who cheer the competitors on," said Hendsch.

Be sure to periodically visit www.nppl.tv to get the latest information on upcoming tournaments (including the Huntington Beach, CA tourney February 6 through 9, 2003), new participating NPPL related merchant companies and all the up-to-the-minute developments on this ever-expanding sport.

Just a couple of comments (and if I'm outta line I'll gladly stand corrected):
1--this release makes clear the mandatory nature of membership right up front. 'Bout time.
2--the part about using membership records to track players and teams, etc. doesn't say it WILL be used to do so, only that it ALLOWS for the possibility--
and is followed by more gobblydegook about the myriad of benefits to be had. My favorite bit is about how the response has been so overwhelmingly positive memberships are now available to friends and family. What a hoot!

Who knew Chuck had a background in telemarketing?