Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

nppl on tv?

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
coooooool. cant wait to watch the nppl again. its much better than the psp (in my opinion) and have a live free webfeed just adds brownie points :)
Perhaps you would like to qualify that remark! how is it better?

I agree the web feed is a great bonus for one of the leading series to carry and the PSP should look into doing the same but how precisely is it better.......

Russ

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
The NPPL show in the US is essentially an infomercial on Fox Sports Net, so you wouldn't see that in Britain.

You should see the college programming again this summer if you have access to one of the Fox Sports International networks.

I've heard a rumor that PSP Phoenix will have a live internet feed.

Additional rumor is that due to cost cutting, NPPL will discontinue the live feed after HB.
Well that sux.

I was kinda disappointed when they decided to air it free.
I was worried there would be too much demand on the system, which would reduce the overall quality of service.

There were a few outtages at key times, but overall demand didnt seem to be too much of a problem.

Anyway my point is rather than stopping it, they should charge money for it again.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
The problem is that doing it costs $15,000, minimum. So even at $10/person, you need 1500 paying people to break even. I don't think that's happened yet.

Plus, the second you take money for it, then you actually have to deliver. When it's free, and it cuts out for an hour or two, no biggie. When somebody paid for it and it cuts out for an hour - or their computer or internet connection or whatever just sucks - then you've got the whole customer service problem.

There's a reason there's pretty much *NOTHING* on the internet that is both live and fee based. Live? Yes. Fee based? Yes. But not both. Nobody has figure out how to reliably deliver live content yet. Nobody has even figured out how to reliably tell if you're reliably feeding live content - so at least then you could auto-refund the people who didn't get what they paid for.

one4one.tv

Oct 1, 2005
www.one4one.tv
The problem is that doing it costs $15,000, minimum. So even at $10/person, you need 1500 paying people to break even. I don't think that's happened yet.

Plus, the second you take money for it, then you actually have to deliver. When it's free, and it cuts out for an hour or two, no biggie. When somebody paid for it and it cuts out for an hour - or their computer or internet connection or whatever just sucks - then you've got the whole customer service problem.

There's a reason there's pretty much *NOTHING* on the internet that is both live and fee based. Live? Yes. Fee based? Yes. But not both. Nobody has figure out how to reliably deliver live content yet. Nobody has even figured out how to reliably tell if you're reliably feeding live content - so at least then you could auto-refund the people who didn't get what they paid for.
For the people and stuff used in the NPPL, $15,000 is quite cheap from my point of view, and you are right when you have produced the live feed, you need to deliver it...and bandwith costs alot.

Agree with you Chicago FREE live feed costs too much and if you do it to earn money, don't you won't. Anyway you can still find some FREE live feed in other sports like surfing, but that kind of webcast is strongly backed by Quicksilver, Rip Curl...and others, they use it for their promotion and not as a way to earn money.

We dropped the Pay Per View awhile ago because it doesn't work in the paintball sport and it wont for a couple of years. The only other existing solution is on demand, free of charge, paid by advertising.