Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL Results

D

duffistuta

>>>IF--any of the mags are actually gonna cover the controversy wouldn't it be in the NPPL's interest to have their version out to the public first?<<<

Course we'll cover it - we covered the Rage/Nexus one in some detail didn't we?:rolleyes: :D :p

And the Dogs/Tontons one too, which, as Knobbs' well aimed bomb suggested, is far more serious yet isn't getting the column inches it would do if this incident hadn't taken place.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by duffistuta
>>>IF--any of the mags are actually gonna cover the controversy wouldn't it be in the NPPL's interest to have their version out to the public first?<<<

1--Course we'll cover it - we covered the Rage/Nexus one in some detail didn't we?:rolleyes: :D :p

2--And the Dogs/Tontons one too, which, as Knobbs' well aimed bomb suggested, is far more serious yet isn't getting the column inches it would do if this incident hadn't taken place.
No mas. I'm done cos anything else I say won't offer any prospect of a positive outcome.

D

duffistuta

Positive schmositive - keep fighting the good fight or you're sacked.:p

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Just say no to WMD's (words of mass destruction)

Originally posted by duffistuta
Positive schmositive - keep fighting the good fight or you're sacked.:p
Sorry, Steve. I'm done. I've said plenty about the game at issue and how it ought'a be handled. Nobody is even arguing that--everybody is hung up on one detail or another.

R

raehl

Damn, I've become an Adjective...

This has just gone too far.

It's getting the level of attention it's receiving because it happened in the finals at a major national tournament; that it happens to by Dynasty has little to do with it. Change Rage and Dynasty for BC and Naughty Dogs and it wouldn't make a difference.

- Chris

knobbs

Sep 16, 2002
www.teaminfected.com
Re: Re: Controversial Quarters

Originally posted by Baca Loco
1--as to the "facts" at dispute I'm simply raising the issues that are appearing. I'm not offering an opinion one way or the other cos I don't know. I am saying lots of folks besides the Rage crowd didn't "see" it the way it was called, rightly or wrongly, and with a very high profile controversy letting it fester ain't helping.
2--I'm happy to think for ya but what I was getting wasn't that you ain't entitled to your opinion but when your opinion is at odds with a clear directive then you may disagree with it but can't fault its implementation. Or make excuses when it isn't called. (Sorry 'bout that raehl-esque bluntness, it was late.;) )
3--not at all but do you seriously think that in the great northwest the Dogs controversy won't be ringin' for weeks up there? Or that similar situations haven't arisen with "no name" teams at times as well and that they don't go home and poison the well? To an extent there's nothing the NPPL can do about that but they've gone to substantial lengths to hang their marketing strategy around Dynasty's necks and as the highest profile team involved in the NPPL such scrutiny is a no-brainer. Kind'a like the pro athlete as a role-model thing that comes up periodically. Like it or not, fair or not--it's a fact.
4--no they didn't. I've seen no statements from the NPPL addressing the game and how the outcome was determined. What they had was an on field cock-up they spent awhile trying to figure out. Finally came to a conclusion and announced the result. The people who were there are unlikely to be convinced the final decision was correct if they think they saw something different than what was called but the vast majority of the post event hullabaloo could have been minimized by immediately sending out PR notices with an official explanation of what happened and how and why it was handled the way it was.
1--Fair enough. But I'm saying that the facts that what was in question seemingly (to me anyway) switched from what was originally being argued to some new problem just adds fuel to the fire that this was an after the fact problem that the Rage camp was bringing up, trying to bully the NPPL into giving them the win.
2--I wasn't really arguing with anything that came up, but just trying to point out why to me these are two different issues. It's cool though...I didn't mean any disrespect to ya. Sorry for the low blow. :)
3--In the northwest maybe, but it only matters to those directly invovled. Everyone else has forgotten about it. This one's turned into a whole conspiracy theory because of who it's about, which is unfortunate.
4--And I don't believe they should have to, precisely because of them using the opportunity. They called the game straight up, and then they were bullied with accusations of bias into the decision to change the call. The Rage players were yelling in front of the crowd "It's all yellow! This whole thing is yellow!! We'll never play this series again!" How could they NOT be thinking about appearing biased? The refs on the field stood up for their call and the call was put back to what it should have been, in my opinion anyway. But now we're back to the lose-lose situation. They put out a PR notice, half the world accuses them of just covering thier ass. They keep quiet and people accuse them of not addressing the issue. There's nothign they can do here that will get them ahead.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Controversial Quarters

Originally posted by knobbs
1--Fair enough. But I'm saying that the facts that what was in question seemingly (to me anyway) switched from what was originally being argued to some new problem just adds fuel to the fire that this was an after the fact problem that the Rage camp was bringing up, trying to bully the NPPL into giving them the win.
2--I wasn't really arguing with anything that came up, but just trying to point out why to me these are two different issues. It's cool though...I didn't mean any disrespect to ya. Sorry for the low blow. :)
3--In the northwest maybe, but it only matters to those directly invovled. Everyone else has forgotten about it. This one's turned into a whole conspiracy theory because of who it's about, which is unfortunate.
4--And I don't believe they should have to, precisely because of them using the opportunity. They called the game straight up, and then they were bullied with accusations of bias into the decision to change the call. The Rage players were yelling in front of the crowd "It's all yellow! This whole thing is yellow!! We'll never play this series again!" How could they NOT be thinking about appearing biased? The refs on the field stood up for their call and the call was put back to what it should have been, in my opinion anyway. But now we're back to the lose-lose situation. They put out a PR notice, half the world accuses them of just covering thier ass. They keep quiet and people accuse them of not addressing the issue. There's nothign they can do here that will get them ahead.
One last time, Knobbs.
1--it doesn't matter. What you think you saw and what you think you know could be 100% right and it still is irrelevant to the points I'm making regarding how the NPPL should deal with these sorts of situations. 99.9% of the people who now have an "opinion" of the event didn't see it. They are the reason the NPPL needs to be pro-active in dealing with these sorts of situations. The fact it was a critical quarterfinal match-up and involved Dynasty only makes it more important that it be dealt with.
3--if you think that's true you have no idea how things work in a PB "community." If the NPPL decides to wait on the TonTons/Dogs thing and see if they can just slip it under the rug they will rightly be seen as operating from the old handbook, 101 Ways for Promoters to Screw-Up, and instead of continuing to separate themselves from the past they'll be re-visiting it.
4--between your hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil approach to public relations and Phil D.'s "I'll kill all you f***ers" style clearly the NPPL has all the bases covered.

And Pete--just a sidebar for you. Funny how in your mind the refs threatening to walk if the ruling was changed equates to integrity in this instance when Phil doing the same during your run-in was viewed entirely differently. I don't bring it up just to have a go at you--but the irony is rather pungent, ain't it? [Besides, Duffy says things are a bit dull of late, so--] I bring it up to demonstrate that virtually identical actions are open to wide interpretations and that what any individual chooses to believe isn't the issue. The issue is how any problematic situation is handled by the NPPL (or the PSP or the Millennium boyz). And I'm advocating a consistent pattern of pro-active responses instead of the traditional vaudeville routine that has been the norm up until now. At the very least if the NPPL were to break the old pattern it would signal to a percentage of those interested in all this that they really are different instead of the same old thing in a different package.

And Knobbs--try reading some other reports on the event and the truckloads of vitriol aimed at Dynasty and the NPPL making the rounds and then tell me you're correct and they're wrong and that the NPPL can't do anything about it.

knobbs

Sep 16, 2002
www.teaminfected.com
Okay, maybe my attention to whether Dynasty actually won or lost is clouding what I'm meaning to say here, but I'll have a go at it without worring about that detail.

I still don't believe the NPPL can do anything but hurt thier image by putting out a PR announcement about what happened in that game. The only PR announcement that I think they should even consider putting out is one that states simply "we stand behind our refs." Even then, I don't see much good coming out of it, but I think dwelling on the problem with a PR notice will only make it seem as though the NPPL are trying to dig themselves out of a hole and give fuel to people's fires, especially those who saw the game differently. They have made the statement they needed to make just by choosing to stand behind the refs.

The refs stating they would walk if the call was changed tells me that there was one reason the call would have been changed and that is fear of the backlash from giving Dynasty a controversial win. The refs on the field called the game as they saw fit and were so confident in that ruling that they were ready to walk away because of it. The NPPL finally stood behind the refs and I don't know what reiterating that will gain them.

I don't think the Dogs/Ton Tons game matters to the community as a whole because it's already been demonstrated. The ONLY place I have seen it mentioned is here and it lived a life of maybe 2 posts. No one is focusing on it besides those involved, and if it does come into the light again it will be as a footnote to the Dynasty/Rage debacle. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that many people up in arms about it.

I've read some of the other spots and some of the allegations that are being spread about Dynasty in relation to this. Again, I really don't know what the NPPL could do to stop any of this. Them just releasing a pro-Dynasty PR piece would just fuel the fire that they would stop at nothing to have thier team appear in a favorable light. Those spreading disinformation about what happened will simply state that the version of events presented is false. Any official statement will do nothing to change the events people choose to believe.

The only issue they can directly address and not come under fire is the integrity and competence of the refs, which they have already done implicitly by backing the original decision they made.

That's how I see it, anyhow.