The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL Worldbreaking news!

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Weighing everything up - no

edit - just noticed the "at all" in your question.

If you want to be a pedant and simplify things to the nth degree then you obviously don't understand what's involved...

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Beaker, Do you think having cameras on field, as another aid for the officials,would be helpful?

yes or no answer would be fine
If you wanna play that game:

Would having instant video replay available to the exisiting refs give a better improvement to the standard of officiating in the major leagues than putting that investment into a truly professional reffing core?

Freddie Brockdorff

Olva the Berserker
Aug 22, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well Mikey - you have to take into consideration how much money it would actually take to REALLY be a help for the refs, and that kind of money (as Beaker said) is not likely to be spent by anyone at this current time, so NO it would probably not help refs much at this point - seeing that the level of filming would probably be really poor! :)

Actually - IF the filming is not at its best, then it would actually only do more harm than good! I mean - if the refs had to take the filming into consideration, then they would probably in some situations have doubts where they normally would just make the call then and there!

EDIT: And that without even being able to see the situation in it´s full - due to lack of angles being filmed! :p

mikey601

F orum Battle Organiser
Nov 23, 2005
South Wales/Cali
www.myspace.com
If you wanna play that game:

Would having instant video replay available to the exisiting refs give a better improvement to the standard of officiating in the major leagues than putting that investment into a truly professional reffing core?
No

But giving the existing refs more help as its obviously needed will give them a helping hand until they can sort out substantial conditions for the refs.

Do you think we should just leave the refs the way they are until we can acheieve a professional reffing core, or give them as much help as we can at the moment?

Freddie Brockdorff

Olva the Berserker
Aug 22, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
BUT - if there´s only one amount of money.... then what to spend it on - cameras for the existing refs or trying to improove the standard of the refs? :)

EDIT: Same same I would say.........

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
How far away do you see a true preofessional reffing core?
Completely? 3 seasons.

But in the meantime every little helps. Paying refs another $50 a day, or getting them to fly in at sensible times rather than landing them at 2am and expecting them to be on a field at 7am, or providing food and water rather than getting them to queue up with everyone else, having more ref clinics and rating refs so you can pick the best rather than simply only the 50 that'll come back that month. All that doesn't cost a lot but makes a whole big difference to the quality of the guys in black and white - more so than spunking money of a video replay system would.

A little goes a long way - read the next two issues of PGi where we have articles and interviews with current NPPL refs and pro players about why the refs gave up, how things can get better, what the refs actually want to see improved and a blueprint make the reffing a whole lot better. I think they might know what they're talking about...

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Damn Beaker, if you don't dial it down a bit, when the Brockdorff clan meets up over Christmas, you are in danger of being named an "honorary Brockdorff" :D

(please Nick wheel out that white paint idea again)
Yeah, but first you have to teach people to listen to me ;)

Nick

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
I'm going to go with the idea you and Freddie were agreeing with me rather than the other way around - easier on the therapy bills that way :eek:

White paint - least I remembered it was you ;)