Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Nuclear power, yey or ney?

Jun 11, 2008
Coal will become the new (or old, depending on what way you look at it) black gold. Unfortunately the stumbling block at the moment is the storage bit....
It also contains massive amounts of radioactive material and produces hundreds of tonnes of toxic ash when burned.

I should probably declare that I am biased but knowledgable at this point. And 5 pints to the worse after watching Ireland v England (was the ref french?)

Phoenix

Oct 13, 2008
Kent
It also contains massive amounts of radioactive material and produces hundreds of tonnes of toxic ash when burned.

I should probably declare that I am biased but knowledgable at this point. And 5 pints to the worse after watching Ireland v England (was the ref french?)
Can you explain that when your beer has worn off? I'm intrigued and don't want to reply until I am sure of what you mean....

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
slightly confused, How is it that nuclear submarines etc have a generator powerful enough to supply a city the size of plymouth and still fit inside the confined spaces of the sub. YET!! to have a power station on land it has to be sooooooo mahoooosive???

surely if the stations were kept small they would be easier to keep under control?

glenn

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2008
Stockton-on-tees
slightly confused, How is it that nuclear submarines etc have a generator powerful enough to supply a city the size of plymouth and still fit inside the confined spaces of the sub. YET!! to have a power station on land it has to be sooooooo mahoooosive???

surely if the stations were kept small they would be easier to keep under control?
is that true? i thought it was aircraft carrier that had a nuclear power plant that could power a city but they are massive (we they have 6 reactors)

but a submarine has the advantage of being surrounded by plenty of cooling water and you can use the pressure difference in the sub to make the water flow without pumps

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
I could be wrong, it was one of those "off cuff" facts on a programme the other night.

trying to google a more reliable source of info, it would appear there are some plans for underwater off the coast power plants in france!

Jun 11, 2008
There have been several papers written on it. If the same level of activity was found on a nuclear licenced site it would result in special transport and disposal regs being applied. It is estimated that during 1982, US coal burning released 155 times as much uncontrolled radioactivity into the atmosphere as the Three Mile Island incident.
This doesn't even account for all the heavy metals, including mercury and arsenic, that are released.

Several studies have been conducted on it including a famous paper by Ohio state university which is regularly quoted in the US press.

Submarine reactors only produce a few hundred megawatts whereas a power station produces several thousand.

Fisz

Ka mate!
Jun 10, 2006
Nuclear disasters making us all radioactive? Pffft. If you're so worried about radioactivity, I suggest you stay away from bananas.