Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ollie Lang DM9 Marker problems...

Bubblefish777

Jul 12, 2009
Ok so my son spent a bundle on his first ever marker. It's a DM9 Ollie Lang.

However on his first walk on with it today he had a stack of trouble.
Initially both the elbow joints leaked and that was corrected by tightening the elbow joints up a bit (one marshall remarked they were a good couple of turns from where they should be ????)
Next the frame started leaking but as quick as it started it suddenly stopped. Then towards the end of the day he got another leak. This time from the back of the Billy Wing bolt. We called it a day at this point as he (my son) was pretty dissapointed. He'd been looking forward to getting this marker for weeks.

We've taken the bolt out and greased it with the grease that came with it (By the way .... manufacturing sux ... there's sharp aluminium spoiling on the bolt which i gently wiped off). We're just about out of air but I've not been able to cure the leak from the back of the bolt.

Did I see somewhere that the bolts leak out the back when low on air ??? If so I might not have a problem. On the other hand I'm very tempted to take the gun back. It cost a lot and seems a little shoddy to be honest.

Any thoughts anyone ? By the way... they put the instructions in the pack for a FUSE bolt ... nothing for a BWing ?! So have no diagram for fixing it anyway.

Constructive thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.:(

G

Gassy

The Billy wing bolt is a fusebolt that has been polished.

if your low on air then matrix's will leak as there is not enough pressure to seal them.

Alot of matrix's leak when you air them up and it will stop when you have cycled the bolt a couple of times.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1623383

that link will also help you

Ok so my son spent a bundle on his first ever marker. It's a DM9 Ollie Lang.

However on his first walk on with it today he had a stack of trouble.
Initially both the elbow joints leaked and that was corrected by tightening the elbow joints up a bit (one marshall remarked they were a good couple of turns from where they should be ????)
Next the frame started leaking but as quick as it started it suddenly stopped. Then towards the end of the day he got another leak. This time from the back of the Billy Wing bolt. We called it a day at this point as he (my son) was pretty dissapointed. He'd been looking forward to getting this marker for weeks.

We've taken the bolt out and greased it with the grease that came with it (By the way .... manufacturing sux ... there's sharp aluminium spoiling on the bolt which i gently wiped off). We're just about out of air but I've not been able to cure the leak from the back of the bolt.

Did I see somewhere that the bolts leak out the back when low on air ??? If so I might not have a problem. On the other hand I'm very tempted to take the gun back. It cost a lot and seems a little shoddy to be honest.

Any thoughts anyone ? By the way... they put the instructions in the pack for a FUSE bolt ... nothing for a BWing ?! So have no diagram for fixing it anyway.

Constructive thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.:(
Hello Bubble,

Sorry to hear you son was dissapointed with the leaks.
As Gassy has stated the bolt will sometimes leak out of the back when air is low as the pressure may not be great enough for the bolt to seal (especially when the bolt is brand new and the regs arn't bedded in totally).
Without telling you to suck eggs, please check out the manual properly to familiarise yourself with the Matrix fully. Would be worth asking your son to do the same also. They are pretty comprehensive and should answer the majority of questions and problems.

If you should need any assistance at all, please feel free to contact Ash (DYE's master tech in europe) at DYE HQ on 0208 649 6330 or on achaplen at dyeprecision dot com.

Best regards,

Tommy

Bubblefish777

Jul 12, 2009
Thanks Tommy.

Much appreciated.
I did actually review the manual. The diagram refers to the FUSE boly rther than the Billy Wing bolt. Someone mentioned the Billy Wing is a Fuse Bolt but polished. In that case the guy who did the cutaway in the book was smoking something as it doesn't look that close to the Bill Wing especially at the Ball end of the bolt.:D
However I really do appreciate everyone's comments and help. Didn't get any silly comments like "Should have bought a Tippman" :D

I will strip the gun down and re-lube and clean it then re-pressurise as Andy from the hop I bought it from was also very helpful and assured me that I wouldn't invalidate the warranty by doing so. (I'm still worried about the moment the frame started to leak as well :( )

Cheers All.

Bubble (aka Adrian)

glenn

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2008
Stockton-on-tees
I had a problem with a leak out the back of the bolt on my ollie lang dm9, what was causing it for me was some black gunk inside the top hat of the bolt.

No worries at all Adrian.
Bolt servicing (cleaning and lubing) will be essential to keep any DM running at its best and certainly wouldn't invalidate any warranty. Check out the Fuse bolt section of the manual again, all should be explained in there. The piece you are refering to on the tip of the Billy Wing bolt is the 'soft tip'. It doesnt alter the workings of the bolt in any way.
The link Gassy posted earlier could also be helpfull to you to understand the Fuse Bolt.

Any Matrix is to be broken in before it will shoot its smoothest or work to its best. Maybe 5000-10k cycles or so. Over this time the O-rings may 'rub down' slightly maybe causing the black gunk that Glenn describes.

Im sure once you have got the hang of it all you and you boy will be totally happy with your purchase. All styles of DM9's notoriously shoot and handle flawlessly.

Best regards,

Tommy

glenn

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2008
Stockton-on-tees
Comparing my Dm9 to my OL Dm9 the OL does look to have been put together a bit hastely. For example when turning off the asa it just didnt stop unscrewing and came apart from the pin with ease (hope you get what i mean), Grip screws wernt in proply and the macroline wasnt exactly cut square or flat.

ive bin able to sort most these niggles out, theres still something lose rattling around inside somewhere (sounds like ite between the grip and the main body) but it is shooting like a dream and i love it now

but compared to the immaculate condition the standard dm9s arrived in, it was a bit off a disappointment