Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Online shopping

QueenDawg

Feb 2, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
Okay. Now that I've been sucked into this sport, I need to buy the equipment. Been to several of the websites, seen a definite range in pricing (e.g. Tippmann 98 Custom $120 - 199). Are there any websites I should avoid? Any bad expereinces?

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
I've used http://www.shop4paintball.com and http://www.paintballinc.com/. Both had a great range and good service.
i'm willing to bet most of the users on this site will advise you to buy an Autococker or Impulse instead of a Tippmann;thats because most of them are tournament players. Depends really on what you want to get into and what your budget is like. If you want a to play in tournaments, an electro( Matrix, E-mag etc) or Autococker is probaly the way to go.They come pretty much tournament ready straight from the box and there are loads of upgrades available.
If you are planning on playing mostly rec-ball, a Tippamann 98 custom or a GT 2000(which is what I have) would be a better choice. Both are easy to use and easy to upgrade.
Hope this is some help :)
You could also try http://www.paintballwatch.com/ to compare prices.
Feel free to IM or email me if you'd like more help

QueenDawg

Feb 2, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site

Right now I'm thinking rec paintball. The Tippmann is more in my range. Although after considering the extras, the orice creeps up to $200+. For standard rec paintball, are there any options you would recommend (e.g. 12V Rev hopper, dble trigger, remote line)? Thanks for the replies.

jamphi24

I Love your bunker
Sep 24, 2001
Bristol
If you can try and go to www.ebay.com You will probably be able to pick up a second hand autococker with everything you need for about $300. Honestly it is worth spending the extra to get one.

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
For the Tippmann, the options I would look at are barrel (maybe the flatline or sniper), expansion chamber, revvy, remote line and stock, double trigger, reactive trigger or e-bolt. In that order and as your budget will allow.As you say, you are looking at another $200-$300.
Probably the best thing you can do is go down to your local field or store and have a word with the marshals and other experienced players. Ask them what the play with. Most players are happy to talk about their markers (try and get them to stop! :D ) and you might get to try some out on the range. Try some of the markers out, see what feels right.

"Q""

Feb 8, 2002
Holywell Row U.K.
Visit site
I agree with darkwerks....try b4 you buy!!!! Personally tippmans are harder to work on and clean....but they are also very reliable....try looking into the spyder range......or go to ebay and look into automags.....in my opinion...the best newbie gun out there!!!!!!

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Equipment

I agree with most of the previous posters - a Tippmann or a Spyder are always a safe bet when beggining. I haven't been playing all that long and I started with a Spyder classic - and it's been fantastic - I also marshal at my local field where we use Tippmann Custom 98's, another great begginner gun. I would look more along the line of a Spyder Shutter or X-tra if going with a Kingman for approx $150 each - then you have approx. $50 for a electronic hopper - if you shoot a lot as fast as you can taht is! An alternate to a e-hopper is to go and get yourself a descent 20oz CO2 bottle with on/off valve. Easy to use, cheap, can fill it up at any site and minimal maintenance. Obviously safety is always top priority with paintball though - and don't skimp on the GOGGLES!! I'm sure you've used rental equip. and steamed up a storm. You can get some resonable thermal goggles for a good price now - under $40

Personally I would advise against going straight into an online auction to get your first gun, for a variety of reasons:

1) You don't wan't to risk being screwed on an auction, which although is unlikely, can happen.
2) When buying a marker on auction it's extremely difficult to tell what the condition of the gun is really in - and if you don't know your automag from your autococker then you could be stepping into uncharted territory and only come out burned with a bad paintball experience and be $300 down. :(

You're best bet is to go new - that way you get all new parts, a good warranty (and the privilige of walking onto the field with a shiny new paintball gun!).

Check out www.actionvillage.com (a.k.a. www.paintballgear.com)
I've bought from them in the past with prompt, friendly and efficient service, no probs.

Good luck, enjoy the sport and play safe!! :D

figment

AKA Sinbad
Jan 22, 2002
Grantham
there's always a targa...

what about a targa ?
they are spyder copys made by kingman but sold through n.p.s ,

I bought one as a first marker they are identical to spyders,
the same parts fit them and are cheaper if you are starting out, i only paid £145 for package (mask,marker,hopper and bottle (12oz) ).
I still play about with it my mates bought them as well we
still having a laugh with them two years on..

even though i have an angel still cool to play with targa!!:D

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Try e-mailing them and check out their shipping section. They may have a section of they're site where people have commented about shipping/service etc. ask them about that. As for hassle - it can depend greatly on what you're ordering too, obvioulsly if it's electro and illegal in the UK you may have some trouble, they may not ship it to you. Otherwise, as with any US online paintball store you should ask them to ship it labelled as a gift/paintball parts or something similar. Not foolproof though :(