Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Open or closed bolt

Sirdogbert1

Apr 24, 2011
Hey,

I'm hoping to come back into paint balling, hoping to fix up my marker for a season or so but was looking at markers and was wondering what the real difference is between open and closed bolt systems (if that's what you call it).

I've always liked seeing the bolt flicking back and forth and always thought they were easier to clean by just pulling the bolt but there appear to be more closed bolt systems in use.

Narkadox

The Man With The Golden Gun
Jan 3, 2013
I think you may be refering to Spool Vs. Poppet, as Open/Closed bolt doesn't refer to the accesibility of the bolt, it referes to the position of the bolt before it fires.

Open Bolt = Bolt is pulled back and the first paintball sits in the breach. When you pull the trigger the bolt moves forward, fires the paintball and then returns back again.
Closed Bolt = Bolt sits forward, pushing the first paintball past the breach and into the start of the barrel. When the trigger is pulled the ball is fired and the bolt re-cocks, loading a new paintball.

Pretty much all markers are open bolt these days.

As for Spool (E.g. DM) Vs. Poppet (E.g. Ego), that's a debate that generally comes down to personal prefference. Generally:

Spool = Smoother, softer shot
Poppet = More air efficient.

But the technology has evolved so much these days that there's really very little between them.

Sirdogbert1

Apr 24, 2011
Yeah that's it. I didn't think I had it right, thanks for the clarification.
That's good to know cheers

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
As Narkadox said...

The majority of modern electro's fire from an open bolt position, regardless of if they are spool, poppet or hybrid design

Sirdogbert1

Apr 24, 2011
Hybrid?
I was reading that the autocockers were a closed bolt and one of the reasons they were much loved?

Demo2222

Mar 29, 2015
Cockers are loved because they have soul :D are very upgradable and Customizable
I personally love them because they were the cream of the crop during the hay day of my paintball playing
... And they are closed bolt :D