The Home Of European Paintball

Opus Finale .... A Warts an' all Exposé of Paintball's Very Own Megalomaniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewind

Shiny!
Aug 28, 2008
Kent
@Lee Wickham seems to be interested in this, and just because someone currently isnt, or hasnt before, doesnt mean they wouldnt consider in the future.
As someone else mentioned in this thread, this issue is the practical feasibility of it when running one of these games 'properly'.
The existing games run by organisers like urban are still popular, its more catering for that 'additional taste of adventure' in doing something different.

Reactions: Lee Wickham

Eck011

Feb 18, 2011
Falkirk
Trouble is with unusual sites come unusual risks then you have to take into account food for players, staging area, air and a lot of those unusual venues wont have the barricades so a temporary solution needs to be brought into play. The unusual venues comes into risk but then do you take the hit in the pocket or take the hit with your reputation i.e. great site "sh*t game", The MoD sites are great used them a lot when i was in the army especially copehill down, Imber and Rype those sites are used for the reason that its for finua therefore you make best use of tactical awareness to find your own cover so barriades arent really needed as they are for a training aid.

I agree with what HBS is saying but with the way rec and most of paintball is at the moment there is a split you have those that will keep their loyalty and subsidised game but not want to risk being the next one cast into the cold over not being loyal to a certain parties and not attend any other game for fear of upsetting the apple cart, but most of the people that have posted on this thread were those that backed super 6 at the start and were ostracised in some way or ridiculed, way i see it they can continue being sheep to the cause or grow a set and live a little and see what other games are available who know's they might even enjoy themselves The likes of Paintfest goes from strength to Strength, Drakelow is an awesome venue but players need to start getting behind the organisers no point in organising games when the paintball commmunity wont back them and then complain about lack of games or games being cancelled only to stick with the status quo.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Some of you guys who've either posted or read this thread, will know barnett personally, I do not - I know of him and I know a lot of the things he has done - I'm not really qualified to judge him on the basis that I've met him many times, I've judged him purely on his actions.
My perspective is gonna be narrowed for obvious reasons but I'd like to ask the guys in this thread who know barnett personally, a question or two .....

If one were to devise a plan of how best to fuhk things up as a promoter and [self-ordained] messiah for our rec/scenario market, then what barnett has done so far is gonna be a pretty good approximation of what to do, if of course, 'fuking things up' is what you wish to achieve.
I'll presume barnett didn't set out to ostracise and estrange so many of his industry peers /associates but nevertheless, he's ended up as a virtual pariah which can't be good for business .... and so I think we can maybe assume he's now in a position he really didn't want to be in.

And so, what do you guys think is the reason for doing the things he does and in the way he does them?

It doesn't take Albert Einstein to work out the probable consequences of some of the things barnett has done and yet he's consistently trotted out one disaster after another ...WTF makes him do these things? Is it incompetence? Arrogance? Bloody-mindedness or naivety?

Reactions: Eck011

Eck011

Feb 18, 2011
Falkirk
Some of you guys who've either posted or read this thread, will know barnett personally, I do not - I know of him and I know a lot of the things he has done - I'm not really qualified to judge him on the basis that I've met him many times, I've judged him purely on his actions.
My perspective is gonna be narrowed for obvious reasons but I'd like to ask the guys in this thread who know barnett personally, a question or two .....

If one were to devise a plan of how best to fuhk things up as a promoter and [self-ordained] messiah for our rec/scenario market, then what barnett has done so far is gonna be a pretty good approximation of what to do, if of course, 'fuking things up' is what you wish to achieve.
I'll presume barnett didn't set out to ostracise and estrange so many of his industry peers /associates but nevertheless, he's ended up as a virtual pariah which can't be good for business .... and so I think we can maybe assume he's now in a position he really didn't want to be in.

And so, what do you guys think is the reason
for doing the things he does and in the way he does them?

It doesn't take Albert Einstein to work out the probable consequences of some of the things barnett has done and yet he's consistently trotted out one disaster after another ...WTF makes him do these things? Is it incompetence? Arrogance? or naivety?

Pretty much arrogance but i would say with whats being happening at the moment dont look at doing any exclusive venues as the way the sites are being left organisers are going to have a mountain to climb to gain peoples trust that the site wont be left in that state again, what better way to get back at the opposition than make it harder for them to get access to exclusive venues than by leave the place in a mess so as the owners wont lend it out again.

its a c*nts trick basically "scuse the french"

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think a 'trick' implies it was a conscious attempt to catch someone out, in this sense to hurt the chances of any competition using the same venue and maybe doing a better job.
I don't think barnett's doing it on purpose - I think he's just doing things unprofessionally and if that hurts any of his competition, then great [as far as he is concerned] but even so, he's still a punt [I was born within the sound of Bow Bells] .

Reactions: Eck011

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Pete, You are forgetting that he planned to do the same for Sup'Air too when he purchased the Southern Masters from Wendy, a series she was struggling to make ends meet with travel, accommodation for her crew and site hire/ref wages etc. His plans to revolutionise "power ranger/bouncy castle" 'ball included smoke and pyro and run-on music (again, no dancing girls, there are never any dancing girls :confused:). Obviously though, he also found travelling all the way to Brighton too expensive, given the venue's limited catchment area (half of which is the English Channel), and has apparently sold it on to one of his ref crew.

With regard to the UWL, I believe that "the name in the frame" did have a meeting with Tom Cole, though wasn't keen on taking on the franchise.

Whatever may happen, I expect an announcement that "UWL has been done to death" and the launch of a rebranded UWL 2.0 for next year, be it in competition with an official UWL franchise, or not!

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
] but even so, he's still a punt [I was born within the sound of Bow Bells] .
Berk (shire Hunt)!

A) I don't think he gives a flying **** what condition he leaves the places in, he won't be back, and if he didn't pay the venue fee in full in advance, he probably won't be paying the balance

B) If it queers the pitch for other organiser, it's a bonus!

John Cunning

Sep 24, 2015
All i can say is thank god best buddy Tim it's raining. Hopefully all the elite paint you purchased for the weekend will be washed away!!! phew!!!

I will not need to come and help with my tooth

Reactions: obladeo

obladeo

Platinum Member Lifetime
Nov 27, 2008
In a Shrubbery
Who would these other event organisers be though, it wouldn't be any of the existing established organisers, they didn't do it before and aren't doing it now so why would they do it in the future.
Here at Urban Paintball UK we are running very successful events all over the UK. We have Longmoor next weekend for a 3 day game (MvP 3). All our games are different with unique games year on year. Please see our player and game packs to the detail we go into to ensure they are successful.

2016 we have
Anizo Camp
Longmoor
Sennybridge
Copehill Down
and many more...

We also provide a free sup air field on site and pistol hire at most of our events (where we have a open field available).

If you do not think that is good enough? We also run a free game once a year call Butchers Vs Turkeys at our punter site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.