Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ouch !

Markie C

Carlos Spicy Weiner
Aug 1, 2004
Northern Quarter
www.northernquarterpb.com
Well it might just be one of the greatest reball arenas in europe - seriously - maybe not the biggest, but enough to do a 5-man (bigger than many other reball arenas!) - they have xl-turf and an x-ball field!

You got the travel expenses, sure, but it´s cheap cheap practise - and you can go on for hours!

There you have it! :)

lets do it then

i will pm you my msn if you have it

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
OK - for all the people who either say these type threads are pointless or an indulgence in negativity, I say this :- If there were no such threads, would the situation be any different i.e. left alone and not commented upon, would the Brit Paintball scene be on any form of improvement curve ?
'No' is the undoubted answer to that I'm afraid.

And so, whether we like it or not, we are left in a position whereby our tourney demographic, when compared to other Euros sucks ass.
As an alleged commentator on paintball, I will make observations, it's part of my job, now some people have accused me of being a doom-monger, always seemingly going on about how bad we are, and I can maybe understand why some say this.

I want things to change, I hope that's obvious and if we have already acknowledged the fact that to do nothing, to say nothing, would get us nowhere, then I would hope people might understand why I will keep mentioning the situation.
It's in the hope it will prick consciences, in the hope that maybe this time I bring it up, some people might grasp the nettle and actually go for it.
If I keep bringing it up, maybe a new batch of young ballers might wanna rekindle our ascendancy and feel some real pride and train their assess off to get to the top.
Without being indulgent, I have earned the right to, I was part of NWC (playing) at a time when it was one of the top 3 teams in Europe and I started and coached Nexus, and we also got to the top 3 in Europe.
I know what it takes to get there and my whole point in this is to tell everybody out there in the UK, anything is possible if we work hard.
Sounds like a cliché I know but Magued realised he was gonna have to work to get to the top, he did just that...and succeeded.
What an inspiration to us all that should be and remember here, Magued ain't no Sergey, he ain't got zillions of bucks hanging out his back pocket.
And let me also tell you something about Joy, they ain't nowhere near as sponsored as some people would have you believe.
They got to where they are through sheer hard work and determination of player and coach.
Bejeeezus, if I were playing now, I would use that frikkin bunch of turnips as an inspiration; I would think to myself, 'I can do that, I am gonna go for that and nothing is gonna stop me'.

I have bemoaned our situation many times, I admit that, but I have also provided a blueprint of action to get our asses out this sh!t.
In another thread, I outlined what needed to be done to put us back on the road, some have taken note, most have not.
The reasons why are easy to understand, the answers however, in other words, how to change this, is somewhat more difficult.

Baca suggests we revel in the doom and gloom of it all and suggests our goal should be individual motivation with the rest falling into place as a consequence.
I'm afraid things ain't like that, not over here anyways.
It's all well and good having some people feel inspired and motivated and then hoping these will somehow aggregate to become nebulous teams or whatever but for this to happen, we need a culture change.
We need an environment for these factors to flourish and I'm afraid the Brit culture, leastwise in paintball is completely at odds with what is needed.

Our tourney culture is an emergent property of the people we have involved and as such, we are up against a very real problem in trying to change a mindset where the people are resistant to it either because they can't or because they won't.

A few pockets of isolated positivism ain't gonna do jack sh!t and provide any sort of springboard for a cultural shift.
I'm all in favour of shutting up the doom mongers (even if I turn out to be one) but not at the expense of closing down the reality of the situation.

Sport is a place for ideals not idealism and suggesting a change is just around the corner or there isn't really a problem is tantamount to hiding under the bed on the Titanic.
Flag waving is all well and good as long as it is appropriate, when it's done inappropriately, it looks foolish and indulgent.
I just hope, that somewhere along the line, that if we talk about our malaise enough, that some may get sick and tired of it all and go get serious.
As for all this talk being self-defeating, well, we have already established that not to talk will end up nowhere.
I am venturing the idea maybes that out of all this negativity, a reaction may well be evoked that provides the glimmer of a cultural shift.
I fackin hope so anyway :)

Polly

SoManc!
May 30, 2006
****ehole West Yorkshire
www.myspace.com
Reballs are great and using them in the first few months of my paintball life at fireball greatly improved my game and it was lucky that i had that opportunity, however you dont NEED reballs to train, you dont even NEED air to train, you dont NEED a gun to do most stuff. I have a few reballs but i do not really have regular access to air, that doesnt mean i stop training, i can still practise pretty much everything, even snapshooting, just find the corner of a wall and drill. The majority UK ballers just dont seem to have the motivation to even drill and practise in their own homes, and i dont understand why. I want to get somewhere in the paintball world and the only way to do that is to train, train and train again.
If you dont put anything in you dont get anything out.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Baca suggests we revel in the doom and gloom of it all and suggests our goal should be individual motivation with the rest falling into place as a consequence.
I'm afraid things ain't like that, not over here anyways.
It's all well and good having some people feel inspired and motivated and then hoping these will somehow aggregate to become nebulous teams or whatever but for this to happen, we need a culture change.
We need an environment for these factors to flourish and I'm afraid the Brit culture, leastwise in paintball is completely at odds with what is needed.

Our tourney culture is an emergent property of the people we have involved and as such, we are up against a very real problem in trying to change a mindset where the people are resistant to it either because they can't or because they won't.

A few pockets of isolated positivism ain't gonna do jack sh!t and provide any sort of springboard for a cultural shift.
I'm all in favour of shutting up the doom mongers (even if I turn out to be one) but not at the expense of closing down the reality of the situation.

Sport is a place for ideals not idealism and suggesting a change is just around the corner or there isn't really a problem is tantamount to hiding under the bed on the Titanic.
Flag waving is all well and good as long as it is appropriate, when it's done inappropriately, it looks foolish and indulgent.
I just hope, that somewhere along the line, that if we talk about our malaise enough, that some may get sick and tired of it all and go get serious.
As for all this talk being self-defeating, well, we have already established that not to talk will end up nowhere.
I am venturing the idea maybes that out of all this negativity, a reaction may well be evoked that provides the glimmer of a cultural shift.
I fackin hope so anyway :)
Just a quick clarification. I agree that without engaging in the conversation at all you're only hoping with little reason to hope that something positive might get started. My intended position was that these threads seem to devolve into general doom and gloom a lot which I don't think is particularly helpful as everyone joins in group hand-wringing. I could be wrong.
It also seems to me that given the place UK ball is at-- a tourney base of mostly hobby-oriented players that one can't expect to "convert" too many of them and if that's the case the real, longer term prospects lie with creating a new paradigm for incoming players-- which won't happen overnight. And must necessarily begin with the here and now of limited prospects and those who want to build something different-- and hopefully better.
I certainly didn't intend any criticism of anyone or any particular attempt to change the status quo. Mostly I meant to encourage those who want change to start with themselves.

TonyF

Swarm
Sep 22, 2002
Essex
www.swarmpaintball.co.uk
Surely if threads like this just get one more team thinking and maybe acting, then it is a step in the right direction.
Young players need to be aware that other options are available and you guys always push these points well on here.
It always seems that the negativity and doom mongers are the "lost cause" in paintball, as they are looking for the obsticules and reasons not to make an effort to change.
Robbo is very approachable, as are other major players in the UK scene. Pete was a great help to us earlier in the season, and took the time to come and run a training session for us!
There are a lot of options out there to improve players in the U.K.
The only thing holding them back is themselves.

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
...would the Brit Paintball scene be on any form of improvement curve ?...
Do you really think it is on an 'improvement curve' already?

I though Brit'ball was on a downward spiral - not moving closer to that ever "goal-post changing" area we call 'sport'.

I'm confused again now (doesn't take much I know :confused:).

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Do you really think it is on an 'improvement curve' already?

I though Brit'ball was on a downward spiral - not moving closer to that ever "goal-post changing" area we call 'sport'.

I'm confused again now (doesn't take much I know :confused:).
Raff, you must be confused mate because I have never thought or suggested we were on any improvement curve.
The fact I used the word 'would' in that question means I am speculating not stating.
We are on a downward spiral or at the very least a 'bottoming out' and I can't see things changing until the core tourney player changes his mindset.

Baca, you are right, I am literally hanging on here to a maybe forlorn hope that somebody, somewhere takes note and tries to do something about it.
I actually didn't take your comments as a criticism, more a slightly skewed observation and I can now see where you are coming from with regard to focusing those comments on the few who really want a change.
But you know as well as I do, these individuals must have an environment in which to flourish and I suppose the best way of understanding this is to introduce notions such as culture.

Yes, we can change entry point paradigms but we have to do it whereby these refocused individuals can develop and for this to happen, we need site owners willing to invest in Sup' Air, teams to get more serious and there at least to be a loose cultural infrastructure where it's cool to be competitive.

The latter of those requirements I suppose us in the media can help with but we can only do so much and as I have stated many times before, and Syd recently repeated, we can take a horse to water but......