Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

OUT OF ORDER AT SKIRMISH series 2k3

Walker (Nitro)

Who's Maria?
Jul 8, 2001
SoNotts
I aint mentioning any names, but my buddy cooks had a bad call, he hadnt been shot on the back all day so his shirt was clean.... a ball hit one of the hard hyperball posts and burst over him, bearing in mind he was about 2-3m away from the post, the marshall runs up to him and pulls him out, i went upto him and looked at him straight away and there was a small piece of shell with no paint in/on it and a few small patches of spray...

this happened to me at the indoor, another marshalling bad...

sort it out marshall's, although i dont condone arguing with marshall's, i do think you should be allowed to dispute a call if you think it is bad at a certain degree...screaming and shouting isnt gonna get you anywhere, but there is nothing more that PISSES ME OFF than a power tripping marshall who wont even listen.......

thats my pennies worth...:mad:

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Originally posted by Walker (PsychoPimps)
I aint mentioning any names, but my buddy cooks had a bad call, he hadnt been shot on the back all day so his shirt was clean.... a ball hit one of the hard hyperball posts and burst over him, bearing in mind he was about 2-3m away from the post, the marshall runs up to him and pulls him out, i went upto him and looked at him straight away and there was a small piece of shell with no paint in/on it and a few small patches of spray...
sh*t happens dude, at least I didnt get shot on the break in that game...

hartleyhare

Jul 19, 2002
derby/notts
Visit site
erm actually tom only one of our team was shot whilst being checked,other two were on the receiving end of a dubious paint check-these things happen :)

apart from that though excellent tourny,very well run and very good fun

thanks to all the div f teams for some great games all conducted in a brilliant atmosphere and well done toy soldiers for coming first in the divvy

nutz

Banned
May 22, 2002
www.swatuk.com
feedback

another quality tournament by steve and the crew, marshalling was brill, re the bad pull, why oh why does this old potatoe keep raising its head, how can these things be fixed after the games are done and gone, the same old crap after elsham was enough.

your on the field, sort it there, on the field you are in a position to sort out the problems as they happen, not the following week.

i was not aware of the squeegie thing, and i doubt you would have took ice in the middle, oh and was it you that shot the **** out of the female marshal as she was checking our player, promting you for a move on a nutral player,
face the facts you lost, the marshals decisions are final

common guys weve all been playing for years, why not concentrate on the positive aspects, the negatives should be put to the ultimates on the day and the organisers, lets face it russ knows the score and if put to him, who knows rematch ?
we will never know :rolleyes:

Bully

Jul 12, 2001
Rochdale UK
www.playpaintball.co.uk
Maybe we need a change?

I have read the thread with interest.

I understand the Phoenix players frustration and accept that his posting was a "vent the anger" but it appears that everyone who played had a bad call against them or is just players who post on p8ntballer??????????

I suppose with 136 games on the day there will be bad calls, I am sure the 80+ football league games on Saturday the refs maybe made a few mistakes or maybe then are perfect. I watched the Rugby League on Saturday night and in my humble opinion the ref (incidentally called Russell Smith) made a few blatant mistakes. The two linesmen as well as the ref never saw the puinch but the video replay did, so three official missed the incident. The commentator who had video replay agreed with me. The ref also has the use of video reply when a player scores a try and disallowed 3 tries which on the face of it looked good. When played at slow mo and at least 6 times the video ref gave a "no try decision" a totally correct decision which took at least 4 minutes (average lenght of time for a game of su'air ball)

So what is my point - Paintball is fast and split second decisions have to me made. Sometimes they are wrong but if everytime a marshal made a decision we had to stop the game - review the decision - check what colour paint they are using - consult with the specatators to see what their opinion is - replay the move at slow mo - and then if the marshal had made a mistake put the player back reset the game and start again - until the next player is eliminated and then we have to go through it all again - an average game would be 20 minutes. OK so I am talking bo..ocks but to listen to some of the players this is what is wanted.

The last leg it was Kelly's marshals who were poor (NOT my words Yours the players who post on here) In my opinion they were very good - with 100 plus game on the day - Why do I say that because I talk to lots of players not just the half a dozen who feel the marshalling was poor and the vast majority are very happy with the marshalling. This time it is Dye Hards turn to be slagged (Yes I will mention them) again I had at least 7 or 8 players comment on how good the marshalling on that field was.

Last year one team after marshalling said they would never marshal again - not because they were getting shot - not because it was hot and hard work - but because a minority of players feel that the marshals are there for one reason only to be abused by players. (again the comment was it is only a few players)

The game is fast moving - split second decisions have to be made - I agree that sometimes the decision is wrong and goes against you - It suck but lets put the boot on the other foot - when has a team come to the Ultimate and said "We made a mistake in that last game, when we left the field one of our live players found a hit on his battlepack and the marshal missed it - We feel that we have cheated the opposition and could we replay the game or if possible give the other team the max since if the marshal had eliminatted the player the other team would have won!!!"

It will never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but how many of you have left the field and found a hit under your arm, trapped in your battlepack, in your neck roll, under your mask - probably a lot of you have.

My point YES marshals make mistakes but I am sure over a year the mistake made will be replayed by the one or more that goes in your favour.

By all means criticise marshals if you want but do we have to replay every game and I am sure that if you lost then you will "air" towards your side rather than the marshals. Maybe you try this marshalling job and then if you make a mistake and players then post 3 pages of criticism of you and your fellow marshals see how you must feel. Rarely does a team who win criticise the marshals.

Incidentally as an organiser I do listen as we addressed the break out question this time, we also introduced "Sosta's Law" which was used once but from these posting maybe should have been used more often, Plans are in place to address two more issues brought up after this leg so construtive critcism welcome slagging marshals not welcome.

My rant.

Steve

PS glad to see players have the b...s to put their names to the posts and for that I respect there comments, those who read the last legs marshal rants will know what I mean.

I apologise fro the spelling mistakes and incidentally whilst typing this posting I have had a phone call from a captain and he commented on how good all the marshalling was and they only won two games they lost the other four to better teams not marshalling mistakes.

richquest

TEAM SHOWTIME
Jul 28, 2002
wirral
feedback

Originally posted by nutz
another quality tournament by steve and the crew, marshalling was brill, re the bad pull, why oh why does this old potatoe keep raising its head, how can these things be fixed after the games are done and gone, the same old crap after elsham was enough.

your on the field, sort it there, on the field you are in a position to sort out the problems as they happen, not the following week.

i was not aware of the squeegie thing, and i doubt you would have took ice in the middle, oh and was it you that shot the **** out of the female marshal as she was checking our player, promting you for a move on a nutral player,
face the facts you lost, the marshals decisions are final

common guys weve all been playing for years, why not concentrate on the positive aspects, the negatives should be put to the ultimates on the day and the organisers, lets face it russ knows the score and if put to him, who knows rematch ?
we will never know :rolleyes:
and they were not going to get me out of the left tape.
i was all cossy there waiting for my opposite (who i shot) to finish the game.
good game though.

hartleyhare

Jul 19, 2002
derby/notts
Visit site
to be honest i think the marshalls deserve a great deal of appreciation!its a thankless job and theres always going to be the odd mistake-with 10 players on the field they cant be observed 100% of the time,the games so fast the poor buggers cant be everywhere at once!!!

sure i speak for everyone in saying a big thanks to all the guys and girls who marshall the tournaments month after month

Shuck

Snoring Machine.......zzz
Jul 13, 2001
SoTees
Visit site
Steve,

Thanks for a well run tourney. Yet again it was efficient, the air fills were good, the fields excellent and the marshalls were great. Some people are obviously annoyed at the marshalling, and I must admit, some of my players were too at some incidents but I know how hard a job it is. After the decision has been made, the ONLY thing you can do is raise this point calmly with the Ultimate at the end of the game. No amount of shouting or ranting will help your cause as this will only pi$$ off the marshalls, not what you are aiming to do if you want them to see you point of view!

Bully has identified the weakness in the playing on/unsportsmanly conduct rule and introduced the Sosta's Law ruling, which is a welcome addition. Over the next few tourneys areas will be addressed and improved on through the use of this bulletin board, as long as we don't abuse it. The start of games was much more structured this time round, but we still fell victim of none standard starts.

One suggestion is that the Marshals get told the same as the captains do at their respective meetings. Some fields on the day were not pre-determinded ends and others were. On the hyperball field we did not receive a ten second call, and discovered it was game on as the other team was in their bunkers! I am sure this will be sorted out by next tourney though.

Keep up the good work Bully.