Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Overbore - but how much?

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Players read far too much into this underbore/overbore business:rolleyes:

Most stock barrels are .689 or .693 good enough to shoot almost every size paint available on the market.

Want accuracy, then get some good quality paint, learn how to hold marker properly/comfortably/consistently/confidently to become more accurate !

If you are trying to gain efficiency by underboring, you are only talking approx half pot worth ! Nothing to be excited about :notworthy:

did243

Luxe/GOG Tech
Feb 17, 2012
Players read far too much into this underbore/overbore business:rolleyes:

Most stock barrels are .689 or .693 good enough to shoot almost every size paint available on the market.

Want accuracy, then get some good quality paint, learn how to hold marker properly/comfortably/consistently/confidently to become more accurate !

If you are trying to gain efficiency by underboring, you are only talking approx half pot worth ! Nothing to be excited about :notworthy:
i know accuracy is all down to the paint.
the thread was more to find out what bore size barrel i should get so that its best for all round.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
why are you trying to be 'funny' ...
I'm not trying, I am.

This thread has been done to death, countless times I've seen it pop up and there's always those guys who take it one step too far, quoting random facts and thinking that somehow by finding out which bore size is "best" will make them play better, it won't. You're not going to get an extra pot, hopper or any considerable amount of extra paint out of your gun by trying. You're not going to play any better. You're simply going to waste time and money that could be better used playing, and who knows maybe even getting better. If its not broke, don't fix it.

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
If you're playing torny with an angel just use the biggest bore you've got to hand, it won't matter about squeezing more shots out of a tank because you'll have air available all day and you'll get less breaks in the barrel.

Bore size only really matters in two circumstances:

1) using a closed bolt marker (nowadays cockers are really the only thing you're likely to used that is closed bolt), if you overbore with a cocker it should be taken off you, apart from anything else it's difficult to chrono properly with an overbore on one.
2) Long scenario games, despite what Dave thinks you could get an extra pots worth of air out of a reasonable effiecent marker with the correct underbore however given the inceased chance of a break even in these circumstances it probably wouldn't be worth it.

did243

Luxe/GOG Tech
Feb 17, 2012
I'm not trying, I am.

This thread has been done to death, countless times I've seen it pop up and there's always those guys who take it one step too far, quoting random facts and thinking that somehow by finding out which bore size is "best" will make them play better, it won't. You're not going to get an extra pot, hopper or any considerable amount of extra paint out of your gun by trying. You're not going to play any better. You're simply going to waste time and money that could be better used playing, and who knows maybe even getting better. If its not broke, don't fix it.
as said - im not trying to get one more pot or few more shots out the tank as i do know there is air available after every game, im asking which bore to get out of the three so that I can get the best use out of my gear. - as in consistency.
if you either over or underbore then its more consistent - id rather have a +/- 5 fps than +-10 fps, that can make a difference.
Read the thread.
and no you're not funny.

Last edited:

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
i know accuracy is all down to the paint.
the thread was more to find out what bore size barrel i should get so that its best for all round.
Stock barrel :)
as said - im not trying to get one more pot or few more shots out the tank as i do know there is air available after every game, im asking which bore to get out of the three so that I can get the best use out of my gear. - as in consistency.
if you either over or underbore then its more consistent - id rather have a +/- 5 fps than +-10 fps, that can make a difference.
You can get much better figures than that using quality paint.
A marker that has been well maintained + good quality paint is all you need.
My old Angel G7fly and SL66 were very consistant regardless what size paint went through them . They had 0.695/0.693 stock bores.

Those barrel tests are just tests, figures taken and noted down. To me that is all they are.
In the real world, paintballs will always vary in size from batch to batch.
Paintballs will also expand slightly in size as the day progresses, from morning to afternoon.

If you were using 0.679 size paintballs, and assume the perfect overbore barrel would be say 0.681. What are you going to do when you start using paintballs sized 0.682 ? Have a 0.684 barrel ready ?
Then what if the paint was 0.687 and on and on ?
You would then say, ok i need a barrel kit with every size ?

Ok you got yourself a barrel kit with every size available. Start of the day, you are using 0.682 size paint. As the day progresses, say an hour later, ahhh cwrap, the paint is has expanded a little, need to change the barrel, and on and on and on...

10 years later you realise what a waste of time watching those vids on barrel testing...o_O

:)

did243

Luxe/GOG Tech
Feb 17, 2012
Stock barrel :)

You can get much better figures than that using quality paint.
A marker that has been well maintained + good quality paint is all you need.
My old Angel G7fly and SL66 were very consistant regardless what size paint went through them . They had 0.695/0.693 stock bores.

Those barrel tests are just tests, figures taken and noted down. To me that is all they are.
In the real world, paintballs will always vary in size from batch to batch.
Paintballs will also expand slightly in size as the day progresses, from morning to afternoon.

If you were using 0.679 size paintballs, and assume the perfect overbore barrel would be say 0.681. What are you going to do when you start using paintballs sized 0.682 ? Have a 0.684 barrel ready ?
Then what if the paint was 0.687 and on and on ?
You would then say, ok i need a barrel kit with every size ?

Ok you got yourself a barrel kit with every size available. Start of the day, you are using 0.682 size paint. As the day progresses, say an hour later, ahhh cwrap, the paint is has expanded a little, need to change the barrel, and on and on and on...

10 years later you realise what a waste of time watching those vids on barrel testing...o_O

:)
that more sums it up, i think i got a bit off what i was trying to ask with over/under bore,
was trying to more ask that which one is best, and im guessing the 6.92 - i wanted a cf barrel for the lightweight factor really, but then you've summed it up in the fact that if the barrel is the .684 and the paint is bigger i wouldnt be able to use it
cheers ;)

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Well there's actually no proof that underboring causes more breaks unless you are doing it to the extreme. Both overboring and underboring give the same level of consistency but underboring is more efficient. So basically underboring wins :D