Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

paint at the masters

loz 40

Jan 20, 2004
Leicester
Visit site
Was it very hard?

A couple of teams were shooting Sterling Rec, hurt like hell, no idea why anyone was shooting that at a tourney.
Ok folks here we go again getting bruises from Rec style paint.

Lets just look at the facts all Paintball companies make a Rec ball.

Sterling Rec
Zap Spank
Draxxus Rec Sport
PMI Rampage

and so on.

By implication that there is no place on a tourny field for rec ball paint you are suggesting that people who use it are allowing people shot by it to be hurt.

Rec style paint is made for sites and all site operators use it myself included.

I have been running a site for 17 years and there is no way we would want to risk our customers being hurt uneccesarily we always make sure the paint is fit for use.

I have played tournaments at all levels but am now retired i do still have two teams playing from my site who play the masters they come back bruised and welted but dont bitch.

I have spoken to Simon Cole of Powerball/Sterling today and he had this to say as part of our conversation" its a big boys game youre gonna get shot and it hurts deal with it".

Paintball has got soft and more teams are bitching and moaning about paint etc.

In my opinion part of the problem is the lowered chrono limit we used to run up to 300 fps now its below 280 so you will get more bouncers which hurt more.At 300 fps 95% of paint burst and you got shot less as the paint wasnt bouncing!

My former Viper team mates used to often hear me say to other teams who bitched "bring it on you bunch of p**fs i play you in my shorts", but i dare say now thats not pc.

Loz Reynolds:D

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member

I'm not stating rec ball paint in general is hard. But there was a team in Div 4, shooting Sterling Rec and the paint was too hard. Hard enough to drop one of my team mates to his knees after taking a pelting from half way across the field.

Sterling itself may not be too hard, but the paint that this team were shooting was. I work at a local Skirmish site and we often use Sterling Rec without a problem, but if it was as hard as the paint on Sunday was I'd have a real problem giving it to customers to shoot.

Of course we expect to come back with bruises, be idiots not to.

Edit: I probably didnt word my original post very well tbh, so can see why you thought I was having a go at rec paint in general.

O

ollytheosteo

I have spoken to Simon Cole of Powerball/Sterling today and he had this to say as part of our conversation" its a big boys game youre gonna get shot and it hurts deal with it".
Big words from a tough guy:rolleyes: Tough enough in fact to spend the weekend machine gunning novice players off the field in Division 4:confused: , with a team packed with juicy ringers and using paint hard enough to reinforce whatever point they were trying to make. Classy.

I've been playing for a while myself and remember some of the paint from the good old days:eek:, but it's been a while since I took multiple hits across my front and they all bounced, even off the less soggy bits. If Simon was representing Sterling and Powerball on Sunday then he has done neither brand any favours, and telling novice players to just deal with it after hosing them off the field with a team of ringers is pretty low. I wouldn't touch Sterling with a ten foot paintball pole if that is truly the attitude of the people behind the paint, and I doubt many of the Division 4 players on Sunday would either. Hard paint for hard men? Perhaps they should take paint, ringers, overshooting and attitude back to the big boys' leagues where such macho bull**** is commonplace, and leave us poor puny amateurs to our happy games with friendly teams and paint that breaks.

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
Big words from a tough guy:rolleyes: Tough enough in fact to spend the weekend machine gunning novice players off the field in Division 4:confused: , with a team packed with juicy ringers and using paint hard enough to reinforce whatever point they were trying to make. Classy.

I've been playing for a while myself and remember some of the paint from the good old days:eek:, but it's been a while since I took multiple hits across my front and they all bounced, even off the less soggy bits. If Simon was representing Sterling and Powerball on Sunday then he has done neither brand any favours, and telling novice players to just deal with it after hosing them off the field with a team of ringers is pretty low. I wouldn't touch Sterling with a ten foot paintball pole if that is truly the attitude of the people behind the paint, and I doubt many of the Division 4 players on Sunday would either. Hard paint for hard men? Perhaps they should take paint, ringers, overshooting and attitude back to the big boys' leagues where such macho bull**** is commonplace, and leave us poor puny amateurs to our happy games with friendly teams and paint that breaks.
Aah, well, if he was one of the culprits then my post doesn't really say anything they didnt already know.

Sandbagging and shooting rock hard paint. Bet that felt good. Hope the first place trophy was worth it.

And obviously Mr Cole of Powerball isn't going to say anything about the paint, he was playing in div 4 as well wasn't he? So two RPS Viper Players in the team...... Any Div 4 players actually in there at all?

Makes sense now as when signing the score sheet I said to the guy that their paint was bloody hard and he just said "oh, it's Simon's paint, he sorted it for us".

W1llnorthernhero

RIP NHarmy
Aug 10, 2004
carlisle
Visit site
Aah, well, if he was one of the culprits then my post doesn't really say anything they didnt already know.

Sandbagging and shooting rock hard paint. Bet that felt good. Hope the first place trophy was worth it.

And obviously Mr Cole of Powerball isn't going to say anything about the paint, he was playing in div 4 as well wasn't he? So two RPS Viper Players in the team...... Any Div 4 players actually in there at all?

Makes sense now as when signing the score sheet I said to the guy that their paint was bloody hard and he just said "oh, it's Simon's paint, he sorted it for us".

Get them in div 1 we will fcuking smoke them ;)

O

ollytheosteo

Lets just look at the facts all Paintball companies make a Rec ball.

Sterling Rec
Zap Spank
Draxxus Rec Sport
PMI Rampage

and so on.

By implication that there is no place on a tourny field for rec ball paint you are suggesting that people who use it are allowing people shot by it to be hurt.

Rec style paint is made for sites and all site operators use it myself included.

I have been running a site for 17 years and there is no way we would want to risk our customers being hurt uneccesarily we always make sure the paint is fit for use.

I have played tournaments at all levels but am now retired i do still have two teams playing from my site who play the masters they come back bruised and welted but dont bitch.

Paintball has got soft and more teams are bitching and moaning about paint etc.

In my opinion part of the problem is the lowered chrono limit we used to run up to 300 fps now its below 280 so you will get more bouncers which hurt more.At 300 fps 95% of paint burst and you got shot less as the paint wasnt bouncing!

My former Viper team mates used to often hear me say to other teams who bitched "bring it on you bunch of p**fs i play you in my shorts", but i dare say now thats not pc.

Loz Reynolds:D
Ok, now I have had a nice night's beauty sleep in my big pink lacy heart-shaped bed surrounded by stuffed toys and frou-frous, done my make-up and got my hair just right I feel able to raise my limp wrists to the keyboard and address a couple of the points raised above. No shouting though or I'll cry:(

Rec paint and tourney paint are designed for two different purposes. Rec paint is harder, both to go through ropey old site guns without the marshals having to spend all day cleaning breeches and barrels, and to increase margins as every ball that bounces is another 6p in the pot at the end of the day. I marshalled rec sites for years and come the 'welt of the day' competition you see better bruises on rental players that we see in tournaments, even through a boiler suit and several layers of clothing. Sure, it won't 'injure' anyone but it's no picnic, and site guns are usually running a little slower and only fire a few balls at a time so people rarely get hosed off the field.
For a tournament most teams spend time trying to select a paint that gives the right balance of durability in the hopper and gun and breakability at the far end of the field, and whilst you do run across some harder paints the teams using it are usually cursing their lack of early eliminations and swearing to switch next time. The other time it happens is when rec paint is all they can afford, but when you're getting your paint out of a van with Powerball on the side that seems less likely. Look at the top players- they run as close to the line as possible and every top team out there can talk about an event when the paint wasn't right and they spent the day making crispy soup.
To use a harder ball in a competition, with guns shooting 15bps (or so;)) is either a sign of really crappy guns, poor judgement or sufficient lack of respect for your opponents that you don't need to try for kills on the break, as you know you'll roll them anyway. Add a team of ringers and an attitude not usually seen in a normally friendly but competitive division and you make no friends for team or sponsors in the process:mad:
As to the idea that 'ballers are now softer compared to the 'good old days', that's horse**** of the highest order. Just look at pics of NPPL players coming off the field looking like orange sculptures and mugging each other with 'legal' guns at point blank and tell me that's soft. Applying the same treatment to novice players and telling them to suck it up if they don't like it is a different matter, and hardly a way to encourage new players into the sport.
I'm sure this issue will either be ignored or we'll have outraged protestations of innocence mixed with contempt for sissy players who can't take a pasting, but the results on the day and the experience of the teams playing the event can't be denied. Many thanks to both Simon and Powerball for a lesson in big boy's paintball, we sure learned something:)

Right, I'm off to take my pink poodle for a mince down the park.

O

ollytheosteo

I think its all about the dollars.
Rec paint = cheap paint.
Fair enough- some of the team I play for have to struggle each month to put enough money together to play, but we still spend that little bit more on paint each month to get those vital early hits. If you can't afford the good stuff then ok, and we'll gladly take the bounces for a win, but that isn't the issue in this particular case.

And yes, I've heard whinging about hard paint myself, and it's never from a team that won the game;) Last month I was using Proto that was breaking first or second bounce in a drop test and still had players telling me it was a bit firm:rolleyes: If the same teams had thrashed us we wouldn't have heard a thing , but whinging is part of paintball and always will be, from punter v punter 'I shot him first' all the way up to Dynasty/Joy fun and frolics. I've been playing long enough to have heard my share, but it's a rare experience to try and talk to a player about their paint and be answered first with insults and then with 'well it's a rec ball' as they were stomping off the field without even a handshake or any kind of respect for their wussy opponents.