Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paint

blinket

Mar 3, 2009
ok so everyones been discussing the pros of .50 cal paint, more shots in your hopper, more shots per fill of air. Sounds brilliant in my opinion. The topic of how many paintballs you can buy per box has also been touched on. Surely paint companys are still going to be supplying box's of 2000 rounds though, are they realy going to do 4000 round boxes for the same price as 2000 round boxes? The way i see it is that this is going to be an oppertunity for paintball companies to make a gain as opposed to letting more paint go for a similar price.

So as great as .50 cal sounds, is it going to work out heaper for the player? or are paint companies going to see the £ sign and think "chane to make more money for less product quantity" The fact that .50 cal contains less fill and has a smaller mass than .68 means they wont be using as many materials, does anyone think they will use this to thei advantage or will they sell more paintballs at a smaller calibre for the same price?

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
Paint will still be sold in boxes of 2,000

It is cheaper because it is cheaper to make, 50 cal being smaller uses less material so therefore is cheaper to make. Also it is cheaper to ship becuase you get more in a container than 68 cal, so shipping cost is reduced.

Currently you can ship 6,000,000 paintballs in a 40 foot container for 68 cal, for 50 cal you get 10,000,000. So cost per ball to ship is obviously a lot less.

blinket

Mar 3, 2009
i can see where your coming from piper but what im trying to get at is, are paint companies going to reduce to price of boxes of 2000 .50 cals because of this reduction in materials etc or, are they going to cash in big time and not pass the savings on to players?

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
i can see where your coming from piper but what im trying to get at is, are paint companies going to reduce to price of boxes of 2000 .50 cals because of this reduction in materials etc or, are they going to cash in big time and not pass the savings on to players?
OK in answer to your question......... yes we have reduced the cost to the site owner and the stores, compared to 68 cal. Now as we only sell wholesale I can only hope that stores and fields will reduce the cost to the player.......... which I am 99.9% sure they will :D

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Really that is up to who you buy your paint from. Manufacturers don't set the retail price, stores do. In my opinion they'd be foolish not to retain the same profit margin per box and lower the price

blinket

Mar 3, 2009
dusty you say it might be foolish but could it be that .50cal may struggle to take off if the price isnt lowerd to incentivise the player?

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
dusty you say it might be foolish but could it be that .50cal may struggle to take off if the price isnt lowerd to incentivise the player?
Read my post again. Retain same margin eg ten pounds per box and lower the price.

AsylumDave

Styling THE CLAW 2010
Mar 9, 2009
Well market competition is likely to sort that out isn't it. One store decides not to drop the price, another competitor sees this and drops theirs, players buy off them right?

blinket

Mar 3, 2009
ahh i get you now dusty, my bad :rolleyes:

in that case, it would make sense to switch to .50 cal. The price of conversion kits could soon be made back from the savings players make on boxes of paint etc. So it would work out alot better to use .50 cal!

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Depends how much it costs to change your marker

The cost saving in paint is a long term saving whilst the cost of new marker is large short term expense

Think about it, for most people it will takes at least 2 to 3 year to shoot 100 boxes of paint

50 cal will be ideal for site owners as they pass all their costs directly to customer and the swap to 50 cal means nothing to them. That means that site owners do not have to change any prices if they don't want to.

Remember that there are many sites out there that do a good business even though they have a high price point. In the long term they have to recoup the cost of initial investment of new equipment from the profit they make from paint sales. The savings in the cost of paint will probably be just be enough to give them a slightly bigger profit margin