Planet Eclipse Warped Sports Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Paintball and the law

Discussion in 'Talking Points' started by Tom, Jan 7, 2015.

1. TNT_UK TNT_UK

TNT_UK
    Message Count:
    Tomikka, thank you for the clarification. The one amusing/worrying thing I can take from this thread is that we all play a sport, spend quite significant sums of money on it, and it sits in one big legal grey area.

2. Tom Tom

Tom
    Message Count:
  3. Caleyjaggy PE Etha,.Spire

Caleyjaggy
    Message Count:
    They passed the bill today and it seems that in scotland it seems you will need a licence to own a paintball marker and site owners will need one as well for rental customers.

4. Dusty Don't run, you'll only die tired....

Dusty
    Message Count:
    Say goodbye to your paintball scene. Same here in NI, FAC required for paintball. Even buying and selling a marker becomes a hassle, when one leaves the local plod want to know where it went.

5. Adam Axford Northern Devils Captain #89

Adam Axford
    Message Count:
    I saw a thread about this on Facebook, someone posted a screen shot of a section that stated air soft and paintball guns were not part of the changes, as in, the licence was not required to own one.

Spikerz likes this.
  6. Tom Tom

Tom
    Message Count:
    That would depend on what document that screen shot came from

On the current documents from the link below the paragraph concerned does not exist

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parliamentarybusiness/Bills/76383.aspx

It's either an old copy which has been amended out, a new copy not yet on that link, or a contradictory document

7. Tom Tom

Tom
    Message Count:
    image.jpg image.jpg

Facebook exempting paintball, website not exempting paintball

If we get the exemption (which relates to the frangibility & lethality elements that has exempted paintball) then no change

8. Shepherd:03 London Legion

Shepherd:03
    Message Count:
    Sections 8 and 9 on page 5 of the explanatory notes seems to say that the firearms legislation exempts air weapons from being classed as a dangerous firearm, and the new leg says that those exempt air weapons must now have a license, unless the muzzle energy is 1 joule or below. Paragraph 8 shows that 12 ft/lbs (the current limit) is approx. 16.27 joules - quite a bit above 1 joule (approx. 0.74 ft/lb). The 1 joule de minimis is probably needed so that you don't need a license to buy a Nerf gun.

There are specific references (Section 23, or page 17, para 90 in the explanatory notes) to paintball venues requiring licenses for their site and their management staff.

Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer, this is just my interpretation.

9. Dusty Don't run, you'll only die tired....

Dusty
    Message Count:
    Airsofties shooting .20 @327fps come in at one joule. A paintball weighs approx 3.2g if memory serves.

10. Adam Axford Northern Devils Captain #89

Adam Axford
    Message Count:
    The underlined part of your post says it does not include paintball guns?
    Cheers for the patronising response though, I wasn't claiming Facebook made it exempt, I was simply pointing out what others had said on the matter.