Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball for the Olympics

Rebel Tackleberry

Mar 23, 2010
This has really made me think about how I think of paintball and I actually realise that, despite the fact it's a competitive activity, it actually can't be classed as a sport in the current form. IT just can't when you compare it to existing sports and what they all have in common.

Despite the fact that I actually consider this isn't something realistic in the near future, doing it in this manner isn't the way to attempt it anyway. There are just so many issues that would need to be addressed first, and then you don't get a sport into the Olympics by getting players to sign a petition. Do you imagine that is how any of the other sports became part of the Olympics?

An application to the IOC has to be made by the international federation for the sport concerned, and then vai the proper channels and demonstrating it meets the criteria required.

Working backwards here:-

1) There is no such federation for the sport of paintball internationally
2) There is no such federation for the sport of paintball in the UK
3) Paintball isn't recognised as a sport in the UK by Sport England

The first thing you'd need to do is just establish paintball as a sport in the UK, by getting it recognised by Sport England..

So, how do you define paintball as a sport? What are the standard rules and format by which the sport of paintball would be played nationally and internationally? You can't even play at a site in London now and then Edinburgh next week and expect rules and format to be the same. How would that work on an international scale?

So, as I see it, you'd first need to define and agree a standard format (or formats as different disciplines) for paintball as a sport. This ensures that, like soccer, tennis, long jump, javelin etc, everyone plays the same rules and format.

If you could achieve that then it may well cover it as a participant sport, but what of a spectator sport? If you just look at the breakout of a 5 man tournament game, you have action around 10 players on the field. Where does the spectator or camera look to ensure no important action is missed? Think of a football match with 5 or more balls in play at once? All other spectator friendly sports tend to have a single focus point, either a sportsperson, an object, or group(s) of competitors that is manageable and able to be followed.

Thinking of getting paintball into the Olympics as a way of fixing all the other stuff is like thinking of putting the roof on a house before you've designed and built the foundations and supporting walls.

We don't have a single standard format. Every site is free to establish it's own variant. There are so many variables in how different sites around the country run games that it would be the first obstacle to defining exactly what the sport of paintball is. The only common rule is that the aim is to shoot the opposition. Imagine football where the common element was to score goals, but otherwise different sites had different rules, as they see fit. Maybe they have 3 teams at one location. Maybe another doesn't recognise fouls, handballs, offside, corners, penalties, or any manner of combinations. You'd have to define the rules of the game every time you ran one. That's exactly how we play paintball isn't it?

So, the first thing you'd need to do is have all sites, organisers, players, agree on one national governing body that sets the rules of the game. Before you even think of aligning international play and addressing the criteria for IOC, you've already got a very daunting task when you look at paintball overall.

Squash is an established sport that can be spectator friendly, meets the other criteria of the IOC, and has been campaigning for the Olympics for a while now. Despite it being in a much stronger position, it hasn't yet succeded.

Paintball, unfortunately, doesn't even touch first base in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: leachy

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
To answer a couple of your questions:-

1. Governing bodies - UKPSF nationally & EPBF internationally.

2. Standard rules -- haven't we all been using the MS rules for some time now?

I have already had a discussion and a proposal to Sport England is being drafted.

Watch this space.

Reactions: weihrauch hw

Rebel Tackleberry

Mar 23, 2010
1. Does UKPSF set the rules of the game? Does EPBF cover a standard game format/rules in UK, France, Germany, USA, Brazil, China, Korea, Russia, Jamaica, etc etc ? I believe it is just European.

2. Isn't it just the MS that uses MS rules? Does UK Masters, CPPS, Formula 5, Scenario events, use a common set of rules?

UKPSF and EPBF are the obvious places where it would need to start. From there it would need to move on to an international federation as the overall governing body.

As for rules, MS seems to have been adopted across national boundaries to a limited degree but are MS rules or format the best for paintball as a recognised sport? It doesn't seem to me that standard tournament format is very spectator/camera friendly (live action). Formula 5 would seem to come closest to that aim, with a single central scoring zone/buzzer as the main focus.

It will be interesting to see how the Sport England application goes, as it would be a big positive step to get any format recognised. :)

Last edited:

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
I refer to the UKPSF as a governing body, as it is the closest thing we have to that. They set safety standards provide training on same, are a source of information, and offer a list of approved sites and events.

In its earliest incarnation, the EPSF relied upon the "Survival Game" rules (also known as the NSG rules), which were the foundation for all the rules we play by today.

Regarding the MS rules, he Masters, CPPS and lord knows how many other events use the MS rules. They have become the standard everyone plays to in most UK tournaments, bar F5.

In respect of scenario, like Satuday or Sunday morning 5-a-side football, it is one variant of the game.

But to get paintball recognised as a sport, it appears we have to focus on the tournament variant.

Paintball does not have to be camera-friendly to qualify.

Last edited:

Rebel Tackleberry

Mar 23, 2010
I wasn't saying paintball needs to be camera/spectator friendly to be recognised as a sport, just that it's a big factor in getting mainstream coverage and hence awareness/acceptance. There are millions of people that don't play football, tennis or ride motorcycles, but they are still interested deeply in those sports as they participate as spectators.

Paintballs biggest failing as a general sport is also it's biggest advantage for those that play it; the lack of a specific primary game focus and format means there is a site and format to suit all players, plus everyone can have their own little game, regardless of personal ability, and enjoy themselves immensely.

Last edited:

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
Don't get hung up on the mainstream coverage aspect - The Paintball Show will handle that, and it premieres Saturday 22 October at 9.30pm.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I wasn't saying paintball needs to be camera/spectator friendly to be recognised as a sport, just that it's a big factor in getting mainstream coverage and hence awareness/acceptance. There are millions of people that don't play football, tennis or ride motorcycles, but they are still interested deeply in those sports as they participate as spectators.

Paintballs biggest failing as a general sport is also it's biggest advantage for those that play it; the lack of a specific primary game focus and format means there is a site and format to suit all players, plus everyone can have their own little game, regardless of personal ability, and enjoy themselves immensely.
While I have always said that paintball sucks as a spectator sport, that is not the biggest issue. After all, sailing circles in boats is also Olympic. Anyone watched that? Boring as Boring McTedious of clan Monotonous.

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
That`s because for the first time .. Ever !! We really are knocking at the door and I`ve got to say, timing is what most things are about and right NOW It`s ripe to do something about this, It`s certainly got a lot of peoples attention even with the economy the way it is, I wonder what/if our Main body up there could enlighten us on this subject as expectation is right up there to the roof.

Reactions: weihrauch hw