Planet Eclipse Warped Sports Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Paintball history

Discussion in 'Announcements and Queries' started by Soul Doubt, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Bolter Administrator

Bolter
    Message Count:
    i remember reading this (guess which magazine?!) thinking "what the f*ck was he thinking?" great story! :)

2. Robbo Owner of this website for my sins ....

Robbo
    Message Count:

I was there when that happened and Mr U didn't actually drag Jeremy out of the woods; what he did do was chase Jeremy down till Jeremy just gave up [Pete U was a pretty fit guy].

Jeremy pleaded with Pete to let him off and not make him walk back to face the consequences but Pete did the right thing and made Jeremy go and face the music.

I was of the opinion at that time that Ed Poorman, captain and owner of Avalanche was blissfully unaware of what Jeremy was up to but let's say I have changed my opinion on that.
    I think more people on that team knew what was happening than didn't ...... a lot more.

I have always hated cheats but I gotta hand that one first place for ingenuity and bare-faced cheek.

3. Bolter Administrator

Bolter
    Message Count:
    Yea exactly! When your team is at the top of their game, when you are about to win the World Cup......thats the time to try a crazy stunt like this lol!

4. SabreWolf Active Member

SabreWolf
    Message Count:
    It was nice to be around in the world of paintball from almost the start, soooo much nostalgia, from reading my very first issue of PGI, at the age of 13 in august 1991 with the preds on the front cover sporting, white sposored jumpers and sterling STP's as tourny winners.

My local site was running splat masters and nelspots back then with a splattering of the odd new razorback pumps, and we had those hard plastic face plates and over the mask labratory looking goggles lol

Still, reading through all of that reminded me of alot of things forgotten, like the first hyperball event which was won by the banzai bandits, which they failed to mention in that american history of paintball and the first time i saw a semi auto marker, which was a brand new poison which if i remember rightly, paul garry who had just joined the newly formed manchester lions had just bought.

Good old days :)

5. Bolter Administrator

Bolter
    Message Count:
    Prepare to feel nostalgic :)

[youtube]pCslwbQBk1w[/youtube]
    [youtube]HutLpQ9a0Sc[/youtube]
    [youtube]0wxn1-t-L74[/youtube]
    [youtube]IFMbWkezycU[/youtube]
    [youtube]w4ouRBIddYY[/youtube]

6. SabreWolf Active Member

SabreWolf
    Message Count:
    haha i bought it on video but it went missing, still have the case though lol

7. SabreWolf Active Member

SabreWolf
    Message Count:
    Just watched it again, that was just brilliant, old school balling at its best :)

Shame they ruined such a good video with that crappy camera work in the final :S

Bolter likes this.
  8. formely known as size6feet X TEAM SPANK GUN WHORE

formely known as size6feet
    Message Count:
    its a shame theres noone has got a copy of the sky sports programme sports unlimited that did a 5 minute 3 segment piece on the hyperball championship had
    me playing with the original firm(aka jimmy frenshams norfolk n chance against shades of grey) great times great tourney and a british invention that the world now follow

9. Bolter Administrator

Bolter
    Message Count:
    My good friend has it on VHS, he was playing with Shades Of Grey at the time :)

10. Robbo Owner of this website for my sins ....

Robbo
    Message Count:
    It was that event that changed paintball forever because it showed everybody that paintball was an exciting spectacle; the only oversight that Ged Green and the rest of the WDP guys made was to fix the 'bunker' positions.

This was something that Laurent Hamet had realised when he attended because he went away and created Sup'Air on the back of what he saw at this HyperBall event ...basically he stood on Ged's shoulders and saw a slightly different future for paintball whereby the sport would be better served by having inflatable, movable bunkers.

It seems ironic to me at least that it was us Euros that showed the Yanks where to go in terms of putting on a show; historically, the Yanks are past masters at the showbizzy stuff and we are normally scurrying around in their shadow but this was an era of European revolution headed up by WDP and Laurent Hamet.

Paintball owes an enormous debt to those guys, an enormous debt.