Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball, if it was a recognised sport.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by garycarrot

Why didnt the best teams play in the U.K. domestic season?? Ask them, cause I dont know.
What is the point? The events in the Uk have no bearing on anything. Top teams have no desire to be the best in the UK, there is a bigger stage to play on. The NPPL and for most other teams the Millennium are the places to be.

Why waste a day playing an event where more often than not you get screwed by poor/biased judging, have no prospect of increasing/furthering the team's reputation or skill levels, and would be better off training and focussing on events that actually mean something.

At the end of the day the bigger picture is what sponsors focus on, and players on the top teams focus on.

Needless to say that there will be people replying to this post citing the PA league as the saviour of UK paintball. But surely the absence of the top teams from the PA prove that it is not. Sponsors that big teams court are invariably American, with the exception of WDP, Planet etc... None of those American sponsors such as JT will give you anything based on coming first in Div 1 of the PA, because it means nothing.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by garycarrot
But surely the level of training you are talking about, would be aimed at a "proffesional" team. Most teams who play tournys are not at that level.

We all play this sport, but at a more modest level. If we train one weekend and play another, thats twice a month, throw in phone calls, internet time and maybe a team meeting or two. Thats a lot of time away from family. Then take into account we have to have a job as well.(to afford to play and buy the nice shiney stuff). It starts to take over your life.
Not at all. Look at any other sport, your local soccer club probably trains twice a week, and plays nearly every weekend. This is far more time away from the family than paintball will ever amount to. Anything less than once a week training sessions, and your not playing "Paintball the sport", but "Paintball the hobby". Even though you may play tournaments, you are just a rec-baller then, which is not per se a bad thing, if that's where your aspirations end.

Everybody is always going "woe is me" and "I spend too much time away from the family", but tell me how the MILLIONS of people that play other sports, ranging from Snooker to American football and god only knows what else, do find the time to train at least twice a week, and be gone at least for one day in the weekend.
If you want to be the best at a sport, you have to treat it as a sport, and train for it as though it is a sport. Anything less is just going through the motions and will only maintain the status quo. These are the choices all of you have to make. Simple as that.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Originally posted by stongle
Why this obsession with UK, there is an already established Paintball series that runs, The Millennium. What form that takes in 05 is yet to be seen, but being UK Champ means nothing in Paintball terms, just bragging rights in your Local Rag.

Being Millennium (or equiv) Champion in your Div will mean something as far as finances and sponsorship goes.

The majority of top teams in the UK, shun UK competition so what are you left with? Bestest Novice Team? What are you proving with this event? Highest ability UK Teams are:

Nexus
Tigers
Shock
Jags
Sharks
Just SoManc
Phoenix

Only Phoenix played a full domestic season, the others played none or the odd one off.

Same old UK denial, we suck at Paintball and can't be bothered to put it right. Rather than addressing the weaknesses we choose to hold a domestic insular series that helps widen the gap.
I suppose the "obsession with the uk" is because we live here, and play here, and being No1 of the only uk league will be important to 99% of the players that play the current leagues.
Where did these top teams come from, if it wasn't for the current state of play in the uk, then these top teams wouldn't be there.
If they then decide to play higher level tournaments/leagues then hasn't it all been worthwile.
The idea of a single uk league, is to give a level playing feild to all teams, that can compete in a league where they will be measured against the best available teams in the uk, regardless of their geographical location.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Originally posted by sjt19
What is the point? The events in the Uk have no bearing on anything. Top teams have no desire to be the best in the UK, there is a bigger stage to play on. The NPPL and for most other teams the Millennium are the places to be.

Why waste a day playing an event where more often than not you get screwed by poor/biased judging, have no prospect of increasing/furthering the team's reputation or skill levels, and would be better off training and focussing on events that actually mean something.

At the end of the day the bigger picture is what sponsors focus on, and players on the top teams focus on.

Needless to say that there will be people replying to this post citing the PA league as the saviour of UK paintball. But surely the absence of the top teams from the PA prove that it is not. Sponsors that big teams court are invariably American, with the exception of WDP, Planet etc... None of those American sponsors such as JT will give you anything based on coming first in Div 1 of the PA, because it means nothing.

I rest my case, your honour.

With the current amount of tournament series, who is going to look at us.

That's why we need a single series/league, that sponsers can identify with, and easily see which teams/players are really making the mark.

Originally posted by Tom Allen

That's why we need a single series/league, that sponsers can identify with, and easily see which teams/players are really making the mark.
I think tha point is that, even if y'all had one league that everyBrit team played, having a team play it wouldn't be worth that much to a major sponsor...

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Originally posted by Tom Allen

Ahh, but in response to your reply to my post, and my point the Millennium already caters for novice and rookie level (hence hit that mark). If the general quality of the UK game is below this par, the get to a level the sponsors ARE willing to look at.

The PA is your best bet to achieve this UK's No1 obsession many of you have. The problem is, it's only a year old and alot of people havent got the patience to see it through. Such an initiative will likely take several years to come together, in the meantime there's always the Millennium / NPPL (or whatever they choose to call it next year).